Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Who's watching/bidding on the PWCC 1975 set break?

If you haven't seen the cards, you should go look. It's an all PSA 9 and 10 set break of 1975 Topps.

Some of these cards are just unbelievable! Several 1 of 5 or less in PSA 10s, including the only PSA 10 Bob Gibson (yes, the card is OC front and back, so a little questionable it's in the case but regardless it's the one that's in there).

Awesome just to see some of these cards, although I'm a little conflicted about it - the collector in me likes that various people are going to have a shot at these cards, the "historian" in me thinks it's just much more awesome as a full set. Nots sure if this is the "Heritage August 2015" set maybe?

Either way, check them out if you haven't.

And just to be clear because I'm sure some people will wonder...NO IT'S NOT MY SET. image

It's just an awesome group of cards and I love the 1975 set, so wanted to point it out.

Comments

• bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    The Killebrew 10 is still going, it may still have some room. It's an absolute beauty.

I'm surprised the Fred Lynn is over a $1,000 though - there's more than 10 of them.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It'll be interesting to see how the break goes. The consignor is flipping the set having just recently purchased it through Bussineau. I was tracking the set and was an underbidder but it went well over what I was willing to pay. I didn't think there was a chance to make back the set price plus buyer fees plus selling vig for PWCC but maybe the 'high end' Brett and a few other PSA 10 stars will carry the day.
    Just to add, the break even price is around $66k excluding PWCC fees. Some strong prices have been realized but it will be a stretch to make that venture profitable. I started adding up the top grossing auctions down to about $200 and came out to $47k. That also included the Aaron which was at $3k with about 15 minutes left. There were some others not completed yet that will bring in some good change too but there's still a pretty big gap to reach $71-$72k which is probably the breakeven with fees.
  • bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    $4200 for a Brett sure adds some "juice" - i was wondering how high that one would go, just don't know why anyone would pay that much for that card but ultimately beauty is in the eye of the beholder i guess

i'd rather look at one of those closer to around $2,000, but i guess if that thing had a chance to bump then it could be money well spent

just over $1,500 for the killebrew - that feels "cheap" to me for that one anyway
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously to each his own and it was a nice card, but I cannot fathom paying $4k+ for a Brett rookie in a 9. I can find an 8.5 just as nice for $600-700, and use the remaining money to buy a 1958 or 1959 Mantle in PSA 8 with the remainder or a Ryan rookie or a Jordan rookie. Most of the bidding stopped at $2500 which is where I figured it would end, but two late snipes drove the price up. Would love to hear if any posters on here have had any luck with selling through PWCC or have received a high end certified sticker?
    Well it looks like the consignor eeked out a few thousand in profit. I added up to the $50 level and came out around $75k. The small change cards should push it over $80k. Not bad and a lot more than I would have ever anticipated it would get due to the volatility of the low pop 10s. Getting $4k for the Brett and $3k for the Aaron really made the difference.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad for the seller to end up in the black. Looks like the AH's are the big winners.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • 60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    I think the Brett in this auction was comparable to the PSA 10 that's in the upcoming Heritage Auction............the Heritage Auction PSA 10 has a small black dot near the top of the card.

• 60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

<< <i>$4200 for a Brett sure adds some "juice" - i was wondering how high that one would go, just don't know why anyone would pay that much for that card but ultimately beauty is in the eye of the beholder i guess

i'd rather look at one of those closer to around $2,000, but i guess if that thing had a chance to bump then it could be money well spent

just over $1,500 for the killebrew - that feels "cheap" to me for that one anyway >>

The Rollie Fingers PSA 10 and Jim Hunter PSA 10 were both 1 of 1...........both were really nice,

• << <i>

<< <i>$4200 for a Brett sure adds some "juice" - i was wondering how high that one would go, just don't know why anyone would pay that much for that card but ultimately beauty is in the eye of the beholder i guess

just over $1,500 for the killebrew - that feels "cheap" to me for that one anyway >>

The Rollie Fingers PSA 10 and Jim Hunter PSA 10 were both 1 of 1...........both were really nice, >>

Yes, they were beauties. I really loved the Fingers.

imageimage
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fingers does look sharp and very well centered though color is a bit washed out on that example.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

• << <i>Fingers does look sharp and very well centered though color is a bit washed out on that example. >>

The color could have been a little better, but man, those corners and edges were so razor sharp.

• << <i>Good work gemint on the price breakdown. I never liked the idea of flipping high end sets only because of the fees associated with it. >>

Agreed. And quick flips especially. Tough tens are hard to come by these days, especially from the 70s and earlier, and as time passes it will most likely get tougher IMO as unopened dries up and the supplies of the high grade raw cards that are worth submitting vanishes.

Congrats to the seller for squeeking out a profit.
    A few others have been killed on 70s set breaks like this due to low pop PSA 10 commons going for much less than VCP historical. It's really a crapshoot and a big gamble when dropping >$50k on a set.
  • BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭

<< <i>Well it looks like the consignor eeked out a few thousand in profit. I added up to the $50 level and came out around $75k. The small change cards should push it over $80k. Not bad and a lot more than I would have ever anticipated it would get due to the volatility of the low pop 10s. Getting $4k for the Brett and $3k for the Aaron really made the difference. >>

Thanks for that behind the scene information.I find it fascinating that the original buyer paid $66k for that set and had the balls to flip it in a Ebay auction. And apparently make money. Not for the faint of heart.
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Topps-SETBREAK-Hank-Aaron-660-PSA-9-MINT-PWCC-/400940151716?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d59e533a4

Has this card moved up a lot in price? For some reason I thought this had sold for a lot less in recent years.