Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The case looks beat to heck but the one visible box at least looks pretty clean.

That said, 12K is steep, imo. If it's a question of worth, I'd place value at around 9K.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

• << <i>The case looks beat to heck but the one visible box at least looks pretty clean.

That said, 12K is steep, imo. If it's a question of worth, I'd place value at around 9K. >>

Do you think the seller could get more if the boxes were authenticated by Steve Hart and the lot was sold like that 1980 lot that recently sold to a board member here?

<< <i>

<< <i>The case looks beat to heck but the one visible box at least looks pretty clean.

That said, 12K is steep, imo. If it's a question of worth, I'd place value at around 9K. >>

Do you think the seller could get more if the boxes were authenticated by Steve Hart and the lot was sold like that 1980 lot that recently sold to a board member here? >>

Very possibly, yes, if the right buyer or bidders are in the mix. Would likely cost $500 to authenticate, though, and I don't see much more than 9-10K for a case like this one.

Steve has a few 79 rack boxes on his site now in the $3,400-$3,600 range, including a couple that have Ozzie on top.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Tim
    Would that price tag be if it was a clean sealed case? Cuz now there is no guarantee of the quality of the packs....or without seeing them, if they have been compromised.

<< <i>Tim
    Would that price tag be if it was a clean sealed case? Cuz now there is no guarantee of the quality of the packs....or without seeing them, if they have been compromised. >>

Yes, definitely. I am basing value on the assumption that all racks are case fresh and clean.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

This intrigues me more than the 12K - 400 bucks for an empty box?

Mr Mint is who I bought a 79T rack case back in 1993.
    Mike

• << <i>image

This intrigues me more than the 12K - 400 bucks for an empty box?

Mr Mint is who I bought a 79T rack case back in 1993. >>

I guess since empty rack boxes pre 80s have gone for around $100+ the seller must think a case is worth more than thrice. Who knows, these seem hard to come by, not withstanding the one used for the Mr. Mint case.
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    I would place the value at more than $9K--I do not think $12K is way out of line--$10-10,500 would be a good price

That of course depends on the quality of the boxes. Like Tim said--it's beat to a pulp--

But before I plunked down the $$ for it I would want each box authenticated by Steve --

• << <i>I would place the value at more than $9K--I do not think $12K is way out of line--$10-10,500 would be a good price

That of course depends on the quality of the boxes. Like Tim said--it's beat to a pulp--

But before I plunked down the $$ for it I would want each box authenticated by Steve -- >>

Even if Steve authenticates each box, and every rack, there's no guarantee that every rack hasn't already be thumbed through. This is the same situation, IMO, as the 1980 case that a member here bought for $6,853.21 (once packs are authenticated). So I think $9-10K could make sense. If it was factory sealed I think only then $12K would make sense.

That said I'm sure someone will buy this one regardless as is, probably offline this the bullish price.