Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help me pick my new 1970's raw set endeavor

With only 1 card left to finish up my 1975 baseball set (#660), I'm looking to find my new project. I want to do it in nmmt raw form. I already have 75, 78, 79. Any suggestions? And does anyone have a good size starter lot to sell me to get off to a good start?

Thanks,
Brian

Comments

• Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    How about a 1974 topps set?
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    Any reason for that particular suggestion? I do like the fact that it has the RC of my favorite player, Brian Downing.

Do you have a starter lot for sale?
  • Options
    I was thinking 74 because it's a favorite of mine. I do have a bunch but I would need to take a look to see what I have in nm.
    Plus I don't have paypal.
  • Options
    Let me know. If we worked out a deal, I could send you a check if that works for you.
  • Options
    Let me know. If we worked out a deal, I could send you a check if that works for you.

I will look and let you know.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Just out of curiosity, if you don't have Paypal how do you buy on EBay if you do at all?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit

I had something for you but it does not meet your condition requirements
  • Options
    Any other suggestions?
  • Options
    ScottAScottA Posts: 33 ✭✭
    I would say '73 because the set is only 660 cards. The high numbers are reasonable and there's still a good supply of nm raw out there.

I foolishly decided to do a '72 set because it was the first set I had cards from when I was a kid. What I learned is that the break-up value of a '72 set is much higher than the complete set price. In other words, if I wanted a '72 set I should have just bought the entire set. I will never get anywhere near what I put into it because the damn set is so big!
  • Options
    Just out of curiosity, if you don't have Paypal how do you buy on Ebay if you do at all?

-------------------------

I don't buy on ebay any more I have not picked anything up in 4 years I bet.
  • Options
    Still looking for some suggestions and anyone who wants to sell me a starter lot to get me going.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    you have sets from the mid/late '70's, I'd jump to the early '70's to get a different choice of players. '71 would be my first choice, the black borders are tough but if you're going for raw nmmt it won't be too difficult. '72 has a LOT of cards and it doesn't make sense to build card by card, and '73 has the worst photography of the era IMO. '70 is a personal (sentimental, first packs I bought) favorite but most people don't like the design. If you do that would be less than '71 and bookend the decade for you.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Griffins, great suggestions. I was leaning towards 1970, 1974, 1976 in that order of preference. I just need to find a good starter lot to get me going.

I also have thought about knocking out my 1968 set. I have about 250 left to go on it, but I hate picking them up one at a time on ebay because shipping really makes it cost prohibitive. Does anyone have a bunch of nice raw 68's. I can email my wantlist.
  • Options
    mbz430embz430e Posts: 237 ✭✭
    1972 would be my choice, the largest of the vintage sets and the card design just screams it's era. This set I believe is one of the most iconic topps sets of the 70's. The introduction of the traded subsets and the in action cards which were extremely popular in the 82 set. I love most of the 70's sets but from a collecting standpoint, the 71 and 72 will also be the most gratifying in the end. Both of these sets command patience and bankroll, but finding the right centered 72 without the lilt or the NM+ 71 that shows minimal corner wear are pure treasures. Either way you go, the reward will far outweigh the time it takes to complete. If you do make a decision let us know. I have a nice run of NM 68's, if you decide to complete contact me via PM and I will see if I can help. Good Luck
    JDRF saves lives, let not another child walk down the path of juvenile diabetes alone. Consider giving either time or money, it will come back to you. $15,800 and counting....
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    My favorite set from the '70s is 1971, but that's also the toughest to get in NM-MT. Good luck!
  • Options
    70 is tempting with Munson's rc and 71 is just a beast. Those tough black borders are just too much for my OCD to handle.
  • Options
    mbz430embz430e Posts: 237 ✭✭
    I have about a 100 card lot of 70's if you choose that direction. Nice blend of minor stars, commons, HOFers, checklist and playoff cards. Most of the cards cover series II and III and range from NM to NM+
    JDRF saves lives, let not another child walk down the path of juvenile diabetes alone. Consider giving either time or money, it will come back to you. $15,800 and counting....
  • Options
    PM's sent and replied to.

Still looking.