Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Why Would Clean Sweep Ship $3K worth of Cards This Way?

I won several lots from the recent Clean Sweep auction. I had not done business with them in 10 years because of poor customer service issues previously.

I always track the auctions and recently saw items for my registry sets. I won 5 lots--pictured below. Little short of $3,100-- I would expect whoever was selling to ship it more securely than a friggin bubble wrap!!! In fact the Seaver Comics case and the Dolph Schayes cases are damaged. Thankfully the cards were not damaged.

Why would an auction house ship in this manner?? They charged me for $17.50 postage/shipping and another $35 for insurance.

Steve Verkman--do a better job on high value times Man!!

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is absolutely pitiful and inexcusable!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! 35 dollars for shipping/handling and that is what you get? Putting that padded envelope in a box with some other protection (peanuts or whatever) would seem like a no-brainer. Some sweet pickups btw.
  • Options
    call him, he's usually cool on the phone.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Easy decision after this: not buying from that auction house.

thanks for posting!
  • Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>call him, he's usually cool on the phone. >>

Please report back and let us know how the conversation goes. image

Edited to add... I'm not laughing at your situation. That sucks!
  • Options

<< <i>That is absolutely pitiful and inexcusable! >>

I 100% agree with this. There is no excuse for such ignorance. Anything over $500 should be shipped in a secure box with bubble wrap or proper packing materials to protect it from movement or being crushed during the shipping process, in my opinion.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That is absolutely pitiful and inexcusable! >>

I 100% agree with this. There is no excuse for such ignorance. Anything over $500 should be shipped in a secure box with bubble wrap or proper packing materials to protect it from movement or being crushed during the shipping process, in my opinion. >>

Yes, $3100 of product should be shipped in a box. It looks like you will need to reholder them. Thank goodness the cards are damage free because the insurance he charged you for would not have been paid because he did not properly package the contents for shipping. Pretty irresponsible and the amount that was charged for shipping makes it more egregious. I ship $30 cards more securely than that.
    Steve
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    Pathetic
    I would ask, no demand them to pay for the reholdering cost plus the shipping
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Can't say I'm surprised this happened with a Jerkman lot. Sorry man.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Inexcusable. I recently bought $30 worth of graded cards from Probstein and they came wrapped in bubble wrap placed inside a priority box which
    was inside a bubble wrapped priority envelope all for $5. Is it no wonder I'll continue to purchase from Probstein and I will not buy from the AH you mentioned.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to put the name of the auction house in your title.........seriously. Call them out! That is ridiculous.

Shane

• Options
    What a sad example of customer service. If you wanted to do the seller a favor I'd email them your grievance with a link to this thread so that they can see what collectors really think of how they run business.

You deserve better, we all do. I'm glad, at least, that the cards themselves seem ok and that they can be reholdered. I hope you can make the seller pay for that service and for the shipping, at the very least. They owe you more, IMO, for this slap in the face.
  • Options
    Not to mention, it probably didn't cost them $52.50 to ship that to your house. I hate it when sellers overcharge for shipping.
  • Options
    I had a similiar experience a couple years ago...1958 Herrera error (the real one) and a 1959 Mantle in high grade that was around 1900 total and they came in the equivalent of a pwe while being holdered in savers w no penny sleeves lol. Was instantly done w auction houses over the internet
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrible packaging job. On the other hand, love love love that 73 Pin Up of Seaver! A very tough issue.
    Daniel
  • Options

<< <i>Not to mention, it probably didn't cost them $52.50 to ship that to your house. I hate it when sellers overcharge for shipping. >>

To be fair, if it was USPS it would cost about that much because of the high value and cost of insurance.

It's just that the packaging is abhorrent. I mean spend $3 on a box, packaging material and tape for the love of all that is holy!
  • Options
    I wonder why Topps had to airbrush the logo off Seaver's cap in the 1973 pin-up.
    All your money won't another minute buy.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder why Topps had to airbrush the logo off Seaver's cap in the 1973 pin-up. >>

Licensing issues. Same with the candy lids.

CS is not the most pleasant place to deal with, for a variety of reasons.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    "To be fair, if it was USPS it would cost about that much because of the high value and cost of insurance. "

Shouldn't a reputable business have insurance through a third party and not have to rely on the USPS for insurance?
    My wife had to ship an item with a 20K value from the east coast to the west coast and her company's insurance
    covered the insurance for the package through Fed Ex.
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    exactamundo. fedex/usps insurance is for the avg joe shipping a package. any auction house / biz that ships high value packages on a daily basis should have 3rd party insurance. the policy would be a couple hundred bucks for the year.

and of course, they could still charge said customer $20 here and there for the insurance, if they wanted to.

running an auction and have 50 items that normally require $20 in insurance charges, then that's $1000.

why give it to fedex/usps?

biz101
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Inexcusable. I recently bought $30 worth of graded cards from Probstein and they came wrapped in bubble wrap placed inside a priority box which
    was inside a bubble wrapped priority envelope all for $5. Is it no wonder I'll continue to purchase from Probstein and I will not buy from the AH you mentioned. >>

This is exactly how to properly ship an item nowadays, especially if you're a consignor dealing with the property of someone else. I mainly deal with antiquarian books, but can ship 15 to 20 PSA cards for $5.70 using USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate which includes $100 insurance. My number one goal with shipping is to secure the item for the buyer at the best price.

The best way is to use USPS box Priority Mail Box - 1096L (not a flat rate box) and then slide that into a Priority Padded Flat Rate Envelope for $5.70. Here's a picture of how they turn out.

Edit to add: there is also a USPS Express 1-2 Day Flat Rate Padded Envelope which I believe runs about $18. If I sell an expensive item (about $1K+) I'll use the Express option as I want to get it out of USPS transit ASAP.

• Options

<< <i>"To be fair, if it was USPS it would cost about that much because of the high value and cost of insurance. "

Shouldn't a reputable business have insurance through a third party and not have to rely on the USPS for insurance?
    My wife had to ship an item with a 20K value from the east coast to the west coast and her company's insurance
    covered the insurance for the package through Fed Ex. >>

Interesting, does collector insurance from companies such as collectinsure.com cover such insurance?

I know I can just ask them but curious what anyone here knows real world experience wise.
  • Options
    not sure if that company does, but most do or is an option for extended coverage.

some even cover to and fro, so you don't have to worry about paying someone else's insurance fee.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Regarding the missing logos, they showed up in a weird way in the Topps Cloth Emblem set of that same year. A discussion here. Nice items Flat

Text
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was an Ebay transactions, but yesterday I received a 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan PSA 7. It was shipped FIRST CLASS in a BUBBLE MAILER with no additional padding. No insurance and no signature confirmation. Fortunately, there were no issues with the card, but I was thinking that this was crazy. I would have NEVER shipped a $1K card in a bubble mailer with no insurance or signature confirmation.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>This was an Ebay transactions, but yesterday I received a 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan PSA 7. It was shipped FIRST CLASS in a BUBBLE MAILER with no additional padding. No insurance and no signature confirmation. Fortunately, there were no issues with the card, but I was thinking that this was crazy. I would have NEVER shipped a $1K card in a bubble mailer with no insurance or signature confirmation. >>

It may have been insured, just not with USPS.

I would send a card of that value in a bubble mailer, with signature confirmation. Card, sleeve, cardboard, bubble mailer is a very safe and effective way of mailing. I've never had a card damaged in any way with that method in over 1000 transactions. Especially since I have my own insurance.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Wow that is very shocking. I had just the opposite thing happen to me from their last auction. I won a couple of items valued around $3000 and they triple boxed it. You might have had a newbie employee that sent your package.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Clean Sweep is watching?

So am I.

And I don't forget.

That stinks Manny - sorry to see this - inexcusable bordering on just plain gross negligence.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

I would send a card of that value in a bubble mailer, with signature confirmation. >>

Anything less and you are begging to eat the money. A less scrupulous collector, not that there are any of those out there image, would have filed a claim and made $1000 profit.
  • Options
    That is why I said "with signature confirmation". The point was more that bubble mailers are completely safe (0.0% fail rate in over 1000 tries) when sending a single card with a little bit of added protection. Especially if your own insurance covers the exception. Nothing wrong with triple boxing - I do, mainly for ease of mind, when dealing with multiple thousands of dollars of items - but it mainly is nice to reflect an overall standard for care, not truly necessary in many instances.
  • Options
    U-PIC is another great option for sellers instead of USPS. Best part is that claims are settled and paid out in seven to 10 days and I don't believe they require signature confirmation on their packages (a plus). I self insure about 95% of all orders through my online stores, but when I have to purchase insurance I prefer U-PIC.

U-PIC

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    The heck with the shipping, I want to know why Manny is buying Tom Seaver cards. image

Seriously, that is a joke and I'm glad you posted who it was so I can avoid that headache. Glad the damage was only to the holders.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    This is the first I have heard of this, it would have been nice and professional of the poster to contact us via email or phone before posting on a public forum.

This was absolutely an error and we apologize for it. A brand new shipping person has been working for us (and is still being trained) and this is a violation of company policy.

Fortunately, the cards were insured and the customer's account will be credited for the shipping costs (not the insurance) in light of our error.

We are human and make mistakes but we will strive to see that this situation does not come up again.

Thanks much - Steve Verkman President Clean Sweep Auctions
  • Options
    We will also pay for the costs of re-holdering the two cards if the poster chooses to do so
  • Options

• Options
    I suggest a complete review of the training process.
  • Options

<< <i>exactamundo. fedex/usps insurance is for the avg joe shipping a package. any auction house / biz that ships high value packages on a daily basis should have 3rd party insurance. the policy would be a couple hundred bucks for the year.

and of course, they could still charge said customer $20 here and there for the insurance, if they wanted to.

running an auction and have 50 items that normally require $20 in insurance charges, then that's $1000.

biz101 >>

A proper dealer policy for Steve would be in the range of $8000 or more per year.
  • Options
    Dbl.
  • Options
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    Dear Steve (and Everyone Else)

Why do you think it was unprofessional for me to post this on the CU boards? Professionalism has nothing to do with me--I am just a collector on these boards. We collectors watch out for each other on the boards whether it be in the form of resealed wax or or fake cards for sale on eBay or in big auctions. Same goes true for really bad inexcusable issues from auction houses. When you ship something valuable like you did to me--you are fair game for the public forum my friend.

I have sold things from $10-$15,000 sent through USPS-UPS-and yes even FedEx. Here is my policy--Once an item is over $100---it gets special treatment from me in the form of more secure packaging. And once it is over $1,000--it is so well packaged that the buyer might have trouble getting it unwrapped it is so secure

The point is--I am NOT in the business-- yet I take the issue of packaging more seriously than you apparently---who is in the business.

And thanks for the offer to have the cards reholdered--but I'll keep them as is.

Finally--it was because of a trainee????? Really ???? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>exactamundo. fedex/usps insurance is for the avg joe shipping a package. any auction house / biz that ships high value packages on a daily basis should have 3rd party insurance. the policy would be a couple hundred bucks for the year.

biz101 >>

A proper dealer policy for Steve would be in the range of $8000 or more per year. >>

my shipping policy covers 5 mill per year shipped and runs $1278.
  • Options

<< <i>Why do you think it was unprofessional for me to post this on the CU boards? Professionalism has nothing to do with me--I am just a collector on these boards. We collectors watch out for each other on the boards whether it be in the form of resealed wax or or fake cards for sale on eBay or in big auctions. Same goes true for really bad inexcusable issues from auction houses. When you ship something valuable like you did to me--you are fair game for the public forum my friend. >>

+1. The response from Clean Sweep compounds the error. When you make a mistake, fix it. Don't criticize the customer for being upset at your mistakes.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>This is the first I have heard of this, it would have been nice and professional of the poster to contact us via email or phone before posting on a public forum.

This was absolutely an error and we apologize for it. A brand new shipping person has been working for us (and is still being trained) and this is a violation of company policy.

Fortunately, the cards were insured and the customer's account will be credited for the shipping costs (not the insurance) in light of our error.

We are human and make mistakes but we will strive to see that this situation does not come up again.

Thanks much - Steve Verkman President Clean Sweep Auctions >>

This response is almost as bush league as the way you shipped the package.
  • Options
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This is the first I have heard of this, it would have been nice and professional of the poster to contact us via email or phone before posting on a public forum.

Thanks much - Steve Verkman President Clean Sweep Auctions >>

This response is almost as bush league as the way you shipped the package. >>

To put any blame on the recipient speaks volumes.

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

+1. The response from Clean Sweep compounds the error. When you make a mistake, fix it. Don't criticize the customer for being upset at your mistakes. >>

^^^^This
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

Wonder who let AH know about this threadimage
    In AL we trust
  • Options

<< <i>Mullins, why did you edit your most recent post??? It was not only hilariously sarcastic (or sarcastically hilarious) but it was also spot-on!!! >>

I thought I'd give the OP a chance to respond first, in case they worked something out.

Seems like everyone, though, is in agreement.
  • Options