Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWPS: The Smallest Electrum

I've been working on fleshing out my "denomination set" of early electrum. I have several of these denominations represented in multiple examples now (as there were particular types I was looking to acquire) but this is a surprisingly tough set to put together, especially when looking for the smallest coins.

I still am missing the hemi and full stater, the latter of which being one of the more common denominations. I just haven't found the "right" coin yet but am still searching.

The farthest left coin is my smallest, a 1/192 electrum stater, weighing 0.07 grams. It's a die match to one CNG sold a few years ago as a new discovery piece, making mine the second or third known, and completing my denomination set up to a trite.

The diameter of these coins is extremely small but the truly incredible attribute is their weight, with the 1/192 and 1/96 being imperceptible and the 1/48th just barely registering on my palm.

And their standalone images, taken with my camera (the above were taken with my phone):

1/192:

1/96:

1/48:

1/24:

1/6:

1/3:

Post your small electrum!
Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

Comments

• Options
    These are amazing, I have a 96th silver stater and the detail present on these tiny things is incredible

and a denom set of electrums, good lord that is awesome image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    SmEagle, that is an impressive collection! Nice work on putting together a lovely type set. Good luck on your remaining pieces!
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, incredible set. Those little ones are so tiny, it's amazing they have been found in the ground and identified as coins. Wonder what the purchasing power of them was, and amazing that the ancients had the technology to produce and weigh these.

You could get one of those hollowed out compartment coins and keep them all inside of it!

I don't know much about these, were they all circulating at approximately the same time?
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are really interesting coins!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing coins and beautiful photographs!
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. I really like these.

The first one looks like my dental crown though... image
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really enjoy this thread by the OP, as well as Nap's question how one even knew the 1/192 was an actual coin as opposed to, say, some random bit of metal when found.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone! To answer the questions:

- These coins are indeed all roughly contemporary, with the helmet 1/24th stater the "youngest", all between 650-550BC.

- They were generally found in groups, so the smallest among them would still be seen as a coin. I imagine many of them were simply dropped and lost to the ground, or eventually melted assuming it was just a very small fleck of gold.

- It is difficult to correlate ancient purchasing power but the largest coin, a trite, is generally thought to have been worth about a month's salary, although some place it higher (up to about 10 sheep's worth). If it's a month, and a month is approximately $2000, the ancient value of the smallest would be about $30, still a substantial sum. These coins were generally not used for day-to-day transactions because of the significant value but rather were used to pay larger debts (accumulated by maintaining a tab at businesses) and for governmental transactions.

Thanks again!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As people didn't have pockets or carry them around in bags because of their size it is believed they were often kept in mouths when being transported. One wonders how many were accidentally swallowed in history?
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    WashingtonianaWashingtoniana Posts: 278 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coins. I can't recall ever seeing smaller than 1/24. Your geometric hecte has the look I like. Thanks for the interesting post.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a beguiling array of tiny coins! I love the group shots. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>SmEagle, that is an impressive collection! Nice work on putting together a lovely type set. Good luck on your remaining pieces! >>

How they could ever manage to make artwork from something so tiny, without modern tools, baffles me.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Weiss. Real nice.

@SmEagle1795 that's so impressive.

These little coins are remarkable. They always remind me of this and it make me smile

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG @SmEagle1795. That is a stunner. The detail is extraordinary. And the color, too. What an absolutely gem of a coin.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool thread! :o

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

The comparison shots tell it all. Thanks for sharing 👍.

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very interesting and educational thread. Thanks for posting!

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

no words - really beautiful set, and want to start seeking out electrum pieces the more I see & learn about them