Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

PSA Graded Sheet Cut?

I thought only Beckett graded these types of cards, was this a mistake or does PSA now grade these?

Matt

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a basketball card collector. Please explain how you can be sure these are sheet cut.

ETA PSA must think card is not sheet cut or it would grade it as "hand cut" if that was appropriate.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am not a basketball card collector. Please explain how you can be sure these are sheet cut. >>

I am not 100% sure the card is sheet cut, but I know this set quite well, I am mostly certain it is.

Here is a regular sized, off-centered card to show what the borders should look like:

Matt

• It is called trimming.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Card does look small in holder.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • vols1vols1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    I think that's the holder for '52 Topps style. That's why it looks small.
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Card does look small in holder. >>

The card is oversized, not undersized.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Card does look small in holder. >>

The card is oversized, not undersized. >>

This is correct. PSA uses the same kind of holder for oversized 1975 minis.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • I doubt it was sheet cut PSA graders would catch it. The scan is a bit fuzzy so the edges may not be as sharp as they appear.

<< <i>I doubt it was sheet cut PSA graders would catch it. The scan is a bit fuzzy so the edges may not be as sharp as they appear. >>

Thanks for your reply. Are you familiar with this set? The edges are not what make me believe that it is sheet-cut, the size of the card is.

imageimage
    Matt

Matt, look at how far down the rail on top is in the first card~the space within the holder is much greater in the second card. PSA typically modifies the holder design like that to accommodate oversized cards, not short ones, unless you are suggesting the card was cut oversized.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>Matt, look at how far down the rail on top is in the first card~the space within the holder is much greater in the second card. PSA typically modifies the holder design like that to accommodate oversized cards, not short ones, unless you are suggesting the card was cut oversized. >>

Tim, thanks for your reply. I am familiar with the the holder design, I have submitted cards that are factory cut slightly larger and have gotten this type of holder. But, never with this set.

I guess I should explain what a sheet-cut card looks like with this set. For those unfamiliar with what a sheet-cut card looks like, here is an example:

Beckett will grade sheet-cut cards and size does not matter (as long as it not undersized). With centering being important and the size of the card not being an issue, there are many over-sized ones sitting in BVG holders . The card above is sheet-cut because it is too large to be factory cut, the corners and edges are abnormally sharp, and it has a slight bow to it.

My guess is that the card in the original post was originally in a BVG holder and submitted for crossover and it got through. It is still my opinion that the card is sheet-cut and it shouldn't be in a PSA holder.

Matt

Thanks for the clarification, Matt. A couple of people had stated earlier in the thread that the card appeared short in the holder so I wasn't sure if that was what you meant, as well.

I'm not familiar with this particular issue or set, as I collect baseball exclusively.

• Littletweed,

Like you said, just the fact that the card is oversized makes me wonder if it is indeed a sheet cut card.

If you have the card in question in hand, you can get a loupe and look at the edges under magnification and compare the cut pattern to another card from that same year and see if the cut pattern on the edges of both cards match. If they don't, that is a good indication, along with the card being oversized, that it probably is sheet cut.
    I now have the card in hand, and I'm 100% certain the card is sheet-cut. There is not a large population who collect this set, but as an avid collector, I hate to see this. A -/$50 card is not a big deal, but I remember seeing a Bird/Magic PSA 9 that I also believe to be sheet-cut. Some people don't mind sheet-cut cards and I have no problem with those who collect them, but I do not want them in my collection and PSA will not grade them, not usually.

Matt

• EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Sheet cut and it still got an 8. Now that's funny.

• << <i>Sheet cut and it still got an 8. Now that's funny. >>

Yeah, it looks like the surface snow killed it.

Littletweed, thanks for the update and confirmation.
  • Unfortunately sheet cuts will get by the graders sometimes. I've had some from certain sellers that I won't go near now.