Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need Help with Purchase from South African Dealer

I found a coin I would like to purchase from a dealer in South Africa. I sent a purchase inquiry to the dealer and received a very polite and honest response. He stated that he would like to sell the coin to me but that he has had problems in the past with shipping coins internationally. He stated the South African postal service is notorious for opening and stealing valuable items sent abroad in the mail. The courier service he uses only delivers parcels within South Africa. He asked if could I arrange a courier service from this end (US) to pick up package and deliver.

Does anyone have any experience with purchase from South Africa? Anybody have a suggestion? This is a hard to find coin I need for a Registry Set.

Thanks for any guidance
BRANDYWINE KRAUSE COIN OF THE YEAR REGISTRY SET

My ebay items

Comments

• Options
    I have purchased coins from http://www.coinsbymail.co.za/ several times without any problems, but I have heard that the SA postal system is a problem.

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the value of the transaction warrants the effort, see if the seller knows anyone that is going to the ANA convention, and have it delivered to someone you know.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    never had an issue with SA, bought about 4 from there in the last few years.
    Recently bought a coin from SA. the seller states in his auctions that he ships it to GB first and then it is sent by Royal mail.. how he does that , I have no Idea. was here in Canada within 10 days registered.
    If the seller sends the coin via registered mail and you pay him via paypal.. I think you would be covered with Insurance....right?
    then, there is always Fedex...or DHL... but they do not cover coins.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

<< <i>never had an issue with SA, bought about 4 from there in the last few years.
    Recently bought a coin from SA. the seller states in his auctions that he ships it to GB first and then it is sent by Royal mail.. how he does that , I have no Idea. was here in Canada within 10 days registered.
    If the seller sends the coin via registered mail and you pay him via paypal.. I think you would be covered with Insurance....right?
    then, there is always Fedex...or DHL... but they do not cover coins. >>

I was on DHL's website and used their estimator feature - If i did it right it estimated delivery charge at almost $275. I'll ask him about registered mail - Thanks
    BRANDYWINE KRAUSE COIN OF THE YEAR REGISTRY SET

My ebay items
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I will never understand why any shipping company such as DHL would insure one type of item but not another (such as coins). What difference does it matter what is inside the package? Either you are trustworthy and dependable, or you aren't! It's such bull-hooey. Of course contraband withstanding. You get the point I am making.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do not trust their own employees...

a few years back had a case where a DHL package with coins was shipped from Europe to my US address in WA. Customs papers and all properly declared by the European dealer. value properly declared at over $ 8000. when the box arrived it had a hand size hole cut in to it. also the lid was cut on three sides. all was re-sealed with DHL tape. out of 18 coins, 16 were gone... the package had been
    "purposely" by mistake re-routed to a place in the US where it was stuck during a weekend.....

make a story short, it was a Pro-job originating in Europe. A gang was involved and the Police in 3 countries were apparently investigating that gang already, so I was eventually told.
    I have no idea if the gang was ever cought. BUT DHL sternly refused to compensate anything, except "not on time delivery". One would think that DHL would be responsible for their employees actions...
    Read the small print they said...... they are not, even though their emplyees committed criminal acts.
    Eventually the shippers business insurance paid up.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life