Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

3 Questions please

I thought I'd ask the experts around here these 3 questions

1. Hand Cut vs. Regular Topps cards.

I see online some 1978 Topps PSA 10 "Hand Cut" cards for sale.

Are these hand cut cards worth more, less or the same as the identical PSA 10 card that was not hand cut?
And how would PSA know that a card was hand cut when it came in for grading?.

2. 1983 Topps "Factory Set"
I bought a sealed 83 topps baseball set back in the day.... A plain brown box with absolutely no marking, sealed with Tape.
I recently opened the set to find the cards in really nice shape, but was surprised to find all 792 cards in random order.
It would seem that a random order boxed set could have come straight from the Topps factory. I can't image someone putting together a set in random order.
Any have info or an explanation on this set?

3. I have an 84 Fleer set that comes in two 330 card "bricks" with shrink wrap, but without a factory box. I see no reference in Beckett to an 84 Factory Fleer set.
Any one have info on this one?

Many Thanks;
Jack

Comments

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought I'd ask the experts around here these 3 questions

1. Hand Cut vs. Regular Topps cards.

I see online some 1978 Topps PSA 10 "Hand Cut" cards for sale.

Are these hand cut cards worth more, less or the same as the identical PSA 10 card that was not hand cut?
    And how would PSA know that a card was hand cut when it came in for grading?.

2. 1983 Topps "Factory Set"
    I bought a sealed 83 topps baseball set back in the day.... A plain brown box with absolutely no marking, sealed with Tape.
    I recently opened the set to find the cards in really nice shape, but was surprised to find all 792 cards in random order.
    It would seem that a random order boxed set could have come straight from the Topps factory. I can't image someone putting together a set in random order.
    Any have info or an explanation on this set?

3. I have an 84 Fleer set that comes in two 330 card "bricks" with shrink wrap, but without a factory box. I see no reference in Beckett to an 84 Factory Fleer set.
    Any one have info on this one?

Many Thanks;
    Jack >>

1 - How do you know that this 78 is hand cut, JW??

2 - I bought a 87 Topps factory set and it was not in order. Not sure if any Topps factory sets were in order??

3 - Do not have an answer for you on that one?
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    1) Topps issued a team card sheet and the cards are different than the regular issue. If you cut these up they would grade and be designated as hand cut. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Topps-Baseball-Team-Card-Uncut-Sheet-Smooth-Juicy-Bazooka-Bubble-Gum-w-Ad-/291469402797

2) The factory set you speak of came that way from Topps and the cards were not in numerical order.

3) Probably broke down that way by a particular seller to fit in boxes he used for shipping the sets.
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    The factory sets are slotted based upon how they are printed on the sheets. They aren't printed in numerical order, so they don't make it into the box that way.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Great stuff guys thanks

And the "Hand Cut" designation was on a pair of 1978 Topps Yankee Team Cards, both PSA 10's now on ebay.

Thanks again for the good info.

Jack