Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

balance?

most collectors usually focus their collections around a theme wether is a set or a player etc...before the psa registry i had a collection of ungraded sets all hand colladed and a few psa 10 marlins players that i just liked. as i got more serious into collecting i picked a few rookies also graded but mostly psa 9s and even psa 8s...i very small collection mind you . but in mind it was rather well rounded. about a year ago i started reading this board and a strong passion for vintage developed ..sadly my funds are limited so i decided to go after a graded set nevertheless just a cheap one..or so i thought ...in my effort to complete my 1992 bowman i have reached a conclution that only psa 10s will do ... but again w/ limited funds even a modern set could get expensive in psa 10's....right now i could add 1 or so card in psa 10 every month. my question is should i sell some of my rookie cards and sets in order to accelerate my graded set building or should i be patient? and also..do any of you also find yourself thinking wether or not to sell parts of your collections in order to have the very best of something instead of a well rounded collection. ? thanks Ethan
"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
Groucho Marx

Comments

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I sold three complete sets to help pay for the one that I am currently working on. Do whatever you like and don't look back with regret. (I am speaking about card collecting only.)
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Ethan- Although I love the 92 Bowman, which I feel is a modern day classic along with the 90 Leaf, does it really make sense to spend so much on slabbing the commons or purchasing the commons for high prices? While there is a certain pride and sense of accomplishment for buildign a set that is likely to be the finest, the Bowman set is just filled with too many commons that most people do not care about. Mind you, this is only one collector's opinion (and one that has grown very disgruntled over newer cards), but I think you will be happier over time with a more balanced collection. Good luck to you. Koby
  • Options
    ethan,

i have the same dilemma, i have baseball, football, hockey, and basketball sets from the 70's. all of these things i no longer collect, yet i can not get courage to sell them, there is just too much of my childhood tied up there, so what i have done over the past 2 years was sold every single double, triple etc i had accumulated over the years, i found on ebay if you package and market it right you can sell anything, and for 2 years money from these sales as fueled my entire 50's and 60's graded vintage collection. so if you are unsure maybe start that way, keep the best and sell the rest.
    Interested in 1955 bowman baseball psa 7 and better!