Home Sports Talk

Weird seeing top players in rivals jersey.....ugh

seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
I didn't want to hijack the last OPs thread and changing his topic but he got me thinking.

Stimulate some discussion...

Understand them trying to extend their career or get one more paycheck (more power to them). But its really weird following a player for a decade or more then they show up in a rivals colors....off the top of my head..what comes to mind?

franco harris from black and gold to silver and navy blue
joe montans in rivals chiefs jersey
wade boggs ....tampa bay devil rays...and wears that to the HOF
nolan ryan...still see him as an astro
seau...patriots? ugh
Jordan...as a wizard
jerry rice.....oakland (ok)...but then Seattle?
Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image

Comments

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tony Dorsett as a Bronco
    Emmitt Smith as a Cardinal
    Junior Seau with the Dolphins and Patriots image
    Ron Mix - Raiders image
    Trevor Hoffman - Brewers

Steve
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pete Rose with the Phillies.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Babe Ruth as a Boston Brave.
    Bobby Orr as a Chicago Blackhawk.
    Wilt Chamberlain as a San Diego Conquistador.
    Johnny Unitas as a San Diego Charger.
    (Didn't see any of them, but it would still be weird.)

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Namath as a Ram. I remember that one as a kid and it seemed absolutely bizarre.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coming soon.

Kobe Bryant finishing with thr Lakers next year and signing with another team to continue playing long enough so he can chase and pass Kareem as the all time scoring leader in the NBA.
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    sdssportsfan....emmitt smith as a cardinal....good call...thats the one i was trying to think of

bizarre is the right word..when i see them in a weird jersey i pretty much have written them off...just mailing it in
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Killebrew's last year as a Royal. After all the years in Minnesota ownership could have given him another year or two. Keeping Oliva to be the DH over the greatest player in franchise history was so sad.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Brett Favre as a Viking. Very strange.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Johnny Damon as a Yankee
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)

• << <i>Killebrew's last year as a Royal. After all the years in Minnesota ownership could have given him another year or two. Keeping Oliva to be the DH over the greatest player in franchise history was so sad. >>

I never realized he played one season with the Royals. Learn something new every day
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martin Brodeur as a St Louis Blue.

Steve

<< <i>

<< <i>Killebrew's last year as a Royal. After all the years in Minnesota ownership could have given him another year or two. Keeping Oliva to be the DH over the greatest player in franchise history was so sad. >>

I never realized he played one season with the Royals. Learn something new every day >>

Killebrew wanted another year or two as a Twin. Calvin Griffith decided to keep Oliva instead of Killebrew and offered him around and got no takers. Harmon was released and made a deal with the Royals, but had trouble playing on turf, the leg/foot injuries he had in the past were a problem. The Royals released him after one year. Killebrew said it was his biggest regret going to K.C.

Griffith should have kept "Killer" and given him a shot at 600 home runs. I hated Griffith for a LONG time and was almost happy that the Twins sucked for the next several years.

Killebrew was the franchise for many years. He put fans in the seats.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Juan Marichal...

Jeff Kent

imageimage
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Ugh. You had to go there, Rich?

image >>

Here's one that both Giants and Dodger fans can wrinkle their noses at...

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    Every time I look at my 1975Topps of Ron Santo, I throw up in my mouth a little.

imageimage
  • VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭
    Alan Page as a Bear

<< <i>Alan Page as a Bear >>

Sad and stupid of Vikings to allow it to happen!
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Go Spurs go
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    seeing orel in the giants jersey.....speechless.....

growing up as a dodgers fan....all the posts with the dodgers and giants players switching teams is killing me...the visual def enhances the nausea

digicat...nicely done