Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1752 1/2 Penny Help with grade

Here's a 1752 1/2 Penny I was lucky to get this week. Im thinking VF-XF any ideas not sure on pre-1797 Copper

Chris

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks XF-AU to me.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    by British standards, I don't think EF is out of the question. By US standards- easily in the AU spectrum. A little tough to call from the image and angle but it looks quite attractive with a decent strike for the series

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    thanks I feel a lot better since I spent 140$ on it. ill take straight angle photos one I get it in hand

chris
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>by British standards, I don't think EF is out of the question. By US standards- easily in the AU spectrum. A little tough to call from the image and angle but it looks quite attractive with a decent strike for the series >>

What Coinkat said. It's a nice looking coin, though it does look a bit like it might have been lacquered.

(Maybe. Or maybe not. Even it has, that isn't the end of the world.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I am by no means an expert, but I think XF is a pretty solid call by British standards and AU for US as noted above.

It is a great looking coin in any case. I think your only major concern is the small mark (scratch?) below the ear on the neck on the obverse. There is something behind the portrait I am not sure of but I am certain you will be able to take a better photo and see how it looks in hand.

Nice buy! *jealous*
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am by no means an expert, but I think XF is a pretty solid call by British standards and AU for US as noted above.

It is a great looking coin in any case. I think your only major concern is the small mark (scratch?) below the ear on the neck on the obverse. There is something behind the portrait I am not sure of but I am certain you will be able to take a better photo and see how it looks in hand.

Nice buy! *jealous* >>

That mark behind the neck...if we are talking about the same looks like it is probably a die clash....pic's not focused to well so hard to say.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that does look like a die clash. It sort of resembles the shape of Britannia's shield on the reverse die.

Which is kind of neat.

I didn't even notice the mark on the neck until it was pointed out. I doubt it will be much of a distraction at all, and seriously doubt it would preclude a straight-grade from a TPG.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I am not sure how to account for things like the tiny scratch. Grading is something that I am not good at, especially in higher grades. The coin is still great but I just mentioned things I saw that may affect the grade.