Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

NEWP: PAMPHYLIA, SIDE Tetradrachm

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
Another recent purchase which I really like, especially Nike's graceful movement on the coin reverse. This coin is provenanced to a 1932 Bourgey sale in Paris which is nice.

PAMPHYLIA. SIDE, 2nd-1st century BC. AR Tetradrachm. 32mm, 16.80gr. Obv. Head of Athena right, wearing Corinthian helmet. Rev. Nike striding left, offering wreath, pomegranate below arm. Ex Bourgey (Paris), 12/5/1932, lot 254. Steel gray patina with golden highlights. NGC Ch. XFš 5/5, 5/5.

Comments

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent example! The reverse style is indeed particularly aesthetic: these often come rather crudely executed but yours is great! I'm a quite surprised NGC didn't "Fine Style" it, frankly.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • So lovely! Congrats

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice and hearty, beautiful addition.
  • gorgeous example! I am thinking before label printing it just got missed, this is clearly "fine style" image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, I also have one of these...wow. Cool coin, it's nice and big in hand also, which is cool for an ancient.

PS. (EDITED) here's mine for comparison (it's in NGC plastic now).

The artwork on yours is amazing.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great toning, nice style, cool old pedigree. Nice all around! image

<< <i>Nike's graceful movement on the coin reverse >>

Yes, you have a point about that. You can imagine her sashaying about. It really does look like she's in a dance pose.

<< <i>I'm a quite surprised NGC didn't "Fine Style" it, frankly >>

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I really do not know why I torture myself by opening Zohar's posts. Every. Single. Time.

You really have an eye. Amazing.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All - thank you. Nick - Your feedback means a lot. These really demand lots of experience, which I lack in ancients, given each coin's uniqueness. Over time I can tell (as you guys have noted with regards to this specific coin) when a coin has more in it in terms of style, strike or surfaces. I do not have the full art/science down yet, but rather generic intuition.

mercurydimeguy's and mine highlight the challenge - difference in strike, style and overall appearance while each one of us is drawn to what matters to them within a set budget. Training the eye here takes much longer than US or world coinage that's for sure.
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Well, yes it takes more experience than US or world if for any reason the range of things that these coins have gone through over the course of two thousand years allows for the majority of ancients to be beat up in one way or another. I think that is what I admire about how you collect the most: waiting for the coins with the wow factor to show themselves before you add anything. Your fine taste as well as that of others here has helped me be more choosy. I work within my budget as does everyone but I resist the urge to buy just anything now and search for the right combination of price and attractiveness. It makes the purchases more rewarding for sure.