Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP: Scarce 1848 Provisional Government Venice 5 Lire

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
A very neat new purchase that was not planned. Scarcer low mintage piece with superb eye appeal.

1848. Italian States. Venice. 5 Lire. Mintage: 6,011. 38mm. Pagani 178; Gigante 3. DAV-208; KM-C185. Provisional Government. Obv: Lion of St. Marks on pedestal. Rev: Value in wreath. Multicolored iridescent highlights particularly on the reverse. NGC MS-64. This is the second of this revolutionary issues I own. The other is a Lombardy 5 Lire type on this older thread - LINK TO THREAD

Comments

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Double post. Lousy forum software.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Lovely piece. The lion is amazing and almost looks alive. Congrats.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Love it! The Venetian Lion has fantastic detail.
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice.
  • Options
    skingspanskingspan Posts: 519 ✭✭
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Z, I love that design.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This will fit my collection better. This is not Habsburg. It is anti-Habsburg.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I mean, if you are going to have a lion-angel, this is the lion-angel to have. He looks very serious. Then again, I do not know what look a lion-angel would have besides serious.

The toning is spectacular with the darker edges giving way to the lighter golden color toward the center.
  • Options
    desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    That's a fantastic coin. But I'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly do you collect. Talers, Ancients, Israel's first years, and now this - is this a standalone coin, or does it fit in with one of your existing collections? Or perhaps the start of a new one?

(Not that there's anything with with just getting anything and everything that you like. I'm just trying to "get into your head" and understand the thought process).
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is absolutely awesome. The peripheral toning on the reverse really rocks. I would imagine there is also some luster we're not seeing in the pictures, too?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This will fit my collection better. This is not Habsburg. It is anti-Habsburg >>

Probably right even though its 19th century coinage.

<< <i>I would imagine there is also some luster we're not seeing in the pictures, too? >>

Yes underneath toning better seen in hand.

<< <i>That's a fantastic coin. But I'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly do you collect. Talers, Ancients, Israel's first years, and now this - is this a standalone coin, or does it fit in with one of your existing collections? Or perhaps the start of a new one? >>

Core collection is still Talers, even though in the past year I have navigated into ancients at a greater pace as I find them more artistic and diverse in designs. The linkage of these 5 Lire coins to my Habsburg set is that the 1848 provisional coinage was issued during the failed revolutions in the Habsburg controlled areas - WIKI. I have the Lombardy 5 Lire which is pedigreed to John Jay Pittman and this Venetian piece is not as common.

Israel's first years is a series collection, which I figured needs to be gathered, as if I do not collect them, no one will image I also have a loose category of World coins which are bought without any real theme behind them other than they are nice World Coins