Home Precious Metals
Options

Before you step up to the medium flat rate box

derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
The biggest problem with the small flat rate box is that it is, well, too small in many cases. Before spending $13.75 to ship a medium flat rate box, check the cost of using the Regional A, B or C flat rate box. Postage on the "Regional Rate" boxes is based on how far away the mailing zone is, the closer the cheaper. I needed to up-size from the small box and using paypal shipping was able to ship a Regional A box (7 X 10 x 5 inches, 15 lb. limit) 500 miles away for only $5.84.

This box is perfect for mailing bullion that just won't fit into the small box. The Regional boxes are not normally available at the post office but can be ordered free of charge from the USPS website. You will have to find them using my link, they don't show up in the "Priority" section in postal supplies.

As I said, actual postage will vary with these boxes and is determined by how many postal zones away it is being shipped. You can use the online shipping "purchase and print" to see the shipping price before making the postage purchase.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there are 2 of each size A,B, and C and the limit is 15 pounds. A lot of times I see that I can use the A box or the B box for a certain shipment but not the C.

Ebay shipping works with all 3 I'm not sure about the paypal multiorder shipping though.
  • Options
    top and side loading versions of the A and B
    one size fits all with the C.

Use the link I provided to view/order the different boxes as well as see the max weight limits.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was under the impression [perhaps wrongly so] that regional rate boxes could only be used within a given region. That is you couldn't use them to send something from NY to CA.
  • Options

<< <i>I was under the impression [perhaps wrongly so] that regional rate boxes could only be used within a given region. That is you couldn't use them to send something from NY to CA. >>

Nope, greater the distance between regions higher the cost. At a point it becomes cheaper to just use a regular flat rate box.

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    Thanks derryb, I knew about those but never used them. Also because I usually don't ship bulky stuff.
    Last time.I shipped 5 rolls of ASE I used an Apmex box inside a padded flat rate. I was afraid of the weight but it arrived safe and sound (it costed me some $'s in tape though!)
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff, derryb!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    I knew about and have some of the Regional boxes but haven't used them, yet.

Also, another packing quirk that some of you who ship bulk stuff can use is that 5 or 6 small flat rate boxes can fit snugly in a row in a medium flat rate box.

Also, I believe that flat rate padded mailers are a tad cheaper than small flat rate boxes, so just throw your stuff in a small flat rate box and shove it in a padded FR mailer.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ship several regional boxes each week. The small flat rates are cheaper than any of the regionals ( at least every time I have checked) but the regionals are
    cheaper than the medium flat rate. They come in handy when you need a bigger box.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you. I had forgotten about the regional boxes. Sure glad the PO promotes this service. LOL
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear