Home Sports Talk
Options

Cardinals accused of hacking Astros database!

telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
Link to story

It's all a bit sketchy right now, but I thought I'd start a thread for discussion, opinions, etc.
Astros database was hacked and private info leaked to Deadspin et.al. last year. Supposedly the FBI is investigating the Cards, particularly the STL connection with the Astros GM.

My question is ...if true, why would STL want to know what one of the league's worst teams was doing? Makes zero sense.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

Comments

• Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    My question is ...if true, why would STL want to know what one of the league's worst teams was doing? Makes zero sense.

supposedly it's because the Cardinals were 'worried' that Luhnow took proprietary info that the Cards had gathered while he worked there under their similar database (cleverly named Redbird--isn't that cute...). Of course the real question here is why would these Cardinal yobs leak this stuff to Deadspin if that was all they were concerned about? Common sense would dictate that there were clearly some folks still in St Louis' front office who didn't like Luhnow and they were trying to get him fired or have his rep smeared or whatever it was they were attempting to do. Otherwise why would they leak that trade/player info to the public? If their initiative was to simply see if Luhnow was using former Cardinal intellectual property, they would have just kept any info gathered to themselves.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tweet o' the day from Brandon McCarthy:

"In keeping with baseball tradition, a Houston exec should walk into the STL offices and hit their best front office guy with a fastball."
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well at least the NE Pats weren't implicated in this.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
  • Options
    I like how this idiot LA Times reporter is trying to correlate the Dodgers losing to STL last season with this alleged scandal. The Dodgers lost because Kershaw choked, twice. Period. I suppose the moon shot homer that Joey Gallo hit off of Kershaw last night was the Cardinals' fault too? image

OH...and it appears that a law firm hired to conduct a review has cleared STL upper management. Story

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    OH...and it appears that a law firm hired to conduct a review has cleared STL upper management. Story

does it really matter whether 'upper management' didn't do the actual legwork here? Not really, and it certainly won't clear them from having seen any info that may (almost assuredly) have been screen-shot or printed out - and/or relayed to them in some manner. I kind of assumed since the trade info was leaked to Deadspin that this was just a rogue smirking nobody or two who were bent that they weren't taken along with Luhnow and the rest of the ex-Cardinal employees who moved onto Houston with him, and it's probably going to come out that it was one to three lower level front office types who did the actual 'hacking', but perhaps the whole trade info leak thing was just a front and now with lawyers riding shotgun at press conferences and a continual FBI investigation, it's starting to seem on the surface that there may well have been multiple database breaches.

If it turns out that the database in question also contained advanced and amateur scouting reports, analytics, salary or personal employee info and so forth, then Cardinal fans can waive hasta la bye bye to the whole Cardinal Way narrative, and this whole thing can be seen as much worse than Pete Rose betting on the Reds, individual PED users, and Spy/Deflategate.

• Options

<< <i>OH...and it appears that a law firm hired to conduct a review has cleared STL upper management. Story

does it really matter whether 'upper management' didn't do the actual legwork here? Not really, and it certainly won't clear them from having seen any info that may (almost assuredly) have been screen-shot or printed out - and/or relayed to them in some manner. I kind of assumed since the trade info was leaked to Deadspin that this was just a rogue smirking nobody or two who were bent that they weren't taken along with Luhnow and the rest of the ex-Cardinal employees who moved onto Houston with him, and it's probably going to come out that it was one to three lower level front office types who did the actual 'hacking', but perhaps the whole trade info leak thing was just a front and now with lawyers riding shotgun at press conferences and a continual FBI investigation, it's starting to seem on the surface that there may well have been multiple database breaches.

If it turns out that the database in question also contained advanced and amateur scouting reports, analytics, salary or personal employee info and so forth, then Cardinal fans can waive hasta la bye bye to the whole Cardinal Way narrative, and this whole thing can be seen as much worse than Pete Rose betting on the Reds, individual PED users, and Spy/Deflategate. >>

Somehow I doubt it will rise to that level, although there are certainly plenty of STL haters who are hoping it will...and no matter what some front office mope(s) with an axe to grind might have done, this should not reflect on what the players themselves have accomplished. (Unlike the Pats thing, which involved the QB himself, and the Rose situation, which is self explanatory). The "lawyers riding shotgun" thing is a prudent thing to do and likely SOP in a situation like this. You don't want someone spouting off conjecture or unsubstantiated assertions and/or having what they said misinterpreted or taken out of context, making an already confusing situation worse in the process. If I were in charge, I'd put a gag order on everyone until the facts are known...and at this point, they aren't. jmho

RIP Mom- 1932-2012