Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Cheap Additions

Although not ancient, I still like to dabble in medieval and early modern coinage. These two cost me a whopping $24 total.

Bulgaria, Ivan Alexander and Michael (1331 - 1355 A.D.)
AR Grosh
O: Christ enthroned; monograms at sides.
R: Ivan and Michael standing, holding banner; monograms at sides.
19mm
1.3g
Metcalf SEE pl.8, 11; Dochev XXXII; Youroukova 72

LATVIA, RIGA 1575 A.D.
AR Schilling
O: Coat of Arms w. crossed keys.
R: City Gateway
.79g
18mm
dav.304

Comments

• Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭
    I like cheap and I like those two for $24.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    That city gateway scene is pretty cool. Looks like a busy skyline and fun place to visit. I know it might sound silly but I'm still amazed that we can enjoy coins from 1575 at all let alone such good condition - and yes I know there are coins much, much older and I even have some but that only makes them more amazing.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like those, particularly at the price.

I used to have one of those Bulgarian pieces on my Holey Coin Vest. Back in the olden days here (maybe a decade or so back), there was a forum member from Bulgaria who sent it to me.

It's amusing (if a bit sacrilegious) to note that The Savior on the obverse of that coin looks like a cross between Mr. Bill and the Cookie Monster. image

imageimage

(No wonder the Muslims forbid graven images of The Prophet on their coins. It prevents hamhanded engravers from making your holy figures look silly.)

Still, that's part of the appeal of medieval coins, sometimes. The crudeness gives 'em character. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments. I was attracted to the LATVIA due to the city look. And the bulgarian was too good of a deal to pass up.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    You really do not see a lot of Bulgarian anything. Or Latvian. I wouldn't be opposed to adding something along the lines of what you have to my "Just because I liked it" World Collection either, but I can not say I have ever run across anything like these, especially at the price you paid. I wouldn't even know where to look.

Good pickups.