Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OT: Fire When You Are Ready

harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
I beg the indulgence of the Forum to raise awareness of a great naval ship that slowly deteriorates. This cruiser is the last of its kind and hopefully enough monies will be raised to continue preservation efforts. So, not really World Coin qualified, but still, a relic medal that commemorates world history.

imageimage
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    Cool and historic. I collect "relic medals" (I like that phrase). But I have not seen one of these before.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Super cool! image
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Very cool! I've not seen this one before. The epitome of tangible history... both the medal and the ship.
  • Options
    How many folk can make this statement?

"I was standing on the bridge when we were rammed by Admiral Dewey's flagship, the Olympia. It almost demasted her."

(Benjamin Franklin Bridge, Philadelphia, September 1957)".
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cherrypicked two of those out of a bulk exonumia bag last fall.

Very cool medal.

If I remember correctly, these medals were struck circa 1960, presumably afrer the 1957 restoration.

And I for one do not find this thread to be off-topic at all.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How many folk can make this statement?

"I was standing on the bridge when we were rammed by Admiral Dewey's flagship, the Olympia. It almost demasted her."

(Benjamin Franklin Bridge, Philadelphia, September 1957)". >>

Are you saying you were on the (pedestrian?) bridge in Philly in 1957? and why did the ship ram into the bridge?

Or was "the Benjamin Franklin" a ship and you were standing on the bridge the way Kirk stood on the Enterprise?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    <<<< How many folk can make this statement?

(Benjamin Franklin Bridge, Philadelphia, September 1957)". >>

Are you saying you were on the (pedestrian?) bridge in Philly in 1957? and why did the ship ram into the bridge?

Or was "the Benjamin Franklin" a ship and you were standing on the bridge the way Kirk stood on the Enterprise? >>

I was one of maybe two pedestrians on the bridge. The top of the mast hit the underside of the bridge. Somebody must have miscalculated something.
    They had to pass under the bridge to go from drydock to the memorial site.