Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Dealer/Auctioneer Chuck Moore ... RIP

I've heard via a few avenues today that Chuck Moore has passed way after a battle with cancer.

I 1st met Chuck while he was President of the RCNA several years ago. He was a very likeable guy with a great eye for Canadian coins. He will be missed.

My condolences to his family and friends.
Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
My Ebay

Comments

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's a huge loss. He was around for many years and I had the pleasure of talking to him many times at the Torex's and Expo's in the T.O. area over beers and with friends. His auctions were always noteworthy. His relations with some were not the best, but I always thought that he was a pretty good guy.
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear it.

Chuck was very cooperative and generous with sharing pricing data when I was working on Whitman's Canadian coin guide books a few years ago He was a true numismatic gentleman.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Photo? link to his website if there was one?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Photo? link to his website if there was one? >>

Canadian Coin News link
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great career, yet surprised that the article would highlight the fact he left to Canada to avoid the Vietnam draft - "Born in Detroit, Mich., on Aug. 5, 1946 where he also attended college on a football scholarship, Moore eventually moved to Canada during an escalation in the Vietnam War, which had seen many young Americans shipped off to fight communist forces in the jungles of Southeast Asia. It was a controversial war with no clear meaning or purpose, so on the advice of his father – himself a Second World War flying ace and Moore’s greatest hero – he left for Canada, fearing conscription along with tens of thousands of other Americans."
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of his passing, but ........

<< <i>Believing the U.S. would provide better education for their children, Moore and his wife moved the family down south, where they settled in the San Francisco Bay Area. Here, from the sunny city of Walnut Creek, Moore continued with numismatics, expanding both his personal business in Toronto >>

Nice to have your cake and eat it too, eh?

<< <i>It was a controversial war with no clear meaning or purpose >>

20-20 hindsight is great, isn't it. Those hundreds of thousands and then millions of Vietnamese, Cambodians, and Laotians couldn't discern a clear meaning or purpose either for their extermination at the hands of the VC, and the likes of Pol Pot. Many of those that survived came to America too because they too felt it "would provide better education for their children".
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with your general comment Mac as I very much believe in serving country, especially one that gives so much opportunity to its citizens. Unfortunately, the concept of mandatory service/draft goes against the grain of most of US Society since the greatest generation.

In spite of the above, I would respond by saying "De mortuis nil nisi bonum" - "Of the dead, nothing spoken unless good", and in this forum context we should recognize Chuck's iconic contribution to the hobby and Canadian numismatics in particular.

May he rest in peace.
  • Options
    Well stated. Zohar. May Chuck's memory be embraced in a positive way. My condolences to his family and friends.
    Sullykerry: Numismatic interests: Canada, Newfoundland, Japan pre-WWII, Ireland, Commemorative Coins (1892-1954) Celtic. References available on request.