Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

At what age did you become a numismatist?

2»

Comments

  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Late 20s, probably.

    I view the lists of "requirements" in the OP as a list of characteristics.
  • Options
    Age 6 -- brothers were coin collectors and much older than I.
  • Options
    As a teen. My first job (junior high) was working part time for a coin dealer. I became a numismatist when I figured out that the dealer didn't know what he was doing. Nothing like dipping the silver coins in Jewel Luster every Friday so they would look good for the weekend customers. How times have changed.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Played in it when I was 13 jumped in the deep end of the pool at mid 30's.


    Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    winkywinky Posts: 1,671 ✭
    12 years old. Still 12 years old. image
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    I started collecting at 12 and began chasing quality coins and notes when I was 16. I collected until I was 23 and then briefly got out. I got back in to paper money the next year, and coins at 36.

    I kick myself for selling off that first collection, as there were some awesome coins / notes (1909S VDB Lincoln in AU50, 1910 $10 gold in MS62, 1865 two cent in MS 65 BN to name a few). Hindsight is 20/20.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file