Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Experienced Help needed to fix a bent coin :)

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
hopefully some of have some experience with trying to fix a bent coin.
the last collection I bought also contained a netherland 1 Cent 1830. However, it is bent.
Coin is worth about $100.
I have heard that bent coins can be straightened in some way with a hammer and two pieces of some kind of hard wood...
any suggestions? any experience ?
looking fwd to all your input.
thanks
Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used the "hammer and two pieces of wood" technique with reasonable success twice; once on a US silver 3¢ piece and again on a US half dime I found while detecting. Who knows why small silver coins like those (and yours) got bent so often. You'd think it would be the bigger ones, but I guess those were thicker.

(Edit- I thought you said Netherlands five-cents. So you have a slightly bigger coin than that, and copper? Might be even easier to straighten.)

Certainly the larger hammered coins of the medieval era got bent.

When I went detecting in England two years ago, I went with a club. They are so used to digging bent hammered silver pieces (which they call "tacoed" because the bent-double coin resembles a taco shell) that they have experts who specialize in straightening them. It is risky because a thin, tacoed coin that's been buried 700 years is brittle and can snap in two. They use heat annealing to soften the metal before straightening the coin.

I can try to find one of those experts if you want.

The 3¢ piece I straightened wasn't too badly bent, so three or four hammer blows with the coin sandwiched between the wooden boards did the trick.

The 1854 half dime I dug was tacoed to the point I thought it was a piece of an aluminum pulltab tongue when I found it. I did not use annealing but was able to mostly straighten it with the hammer and boards. It wasn't perfect, (and retained a crease) but was much improved. I guess I ran a risk of it breaking in two, but fortunately the metal hadn't crystallized that much so it was still flexible enough.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mediaeval silver coins are often found bent because that is how they were often carried: folded around a piece of string worn around the neck. It was easier than trying to punch a serviceable hole in a thin coin and if you needed a coin to pay for something, you simply gave one of the coins a tug and it popped right off. Of course, if the string broke while you were riding or walking along and you didn't notice, you lost all your money; then a few centuries later, a metal detectorist finds a bunch of bent coins buried in the ground together - the string having decayed long ago.

Metal becomes more brittle as it ages - a process known as "crystallization". A bronze coin from 1830 should not yet have any noticeable crystallization effect. That being said, I personally wouldn't try to straighten a bent coin, unless it really was "bent like a taco" and I had trouble IDiing it properly while it's bent.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    I have used hard wood and a large bench vise...it worked pretty well

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill