Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Third Reich NEWP

As a World War II history buff, I had to bring this to my collection. The prettiest of its kind I have seen.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    It's a striking coin
    and worthy of inclusion
    but "pretty" IMHO
    is but an illusion.

Memories are still fresh,
    It's past still too recent.
    Acknowledging it, yes
    but admiration's not decent.

Names of family deceased
    swirl in my brain
    as I gaze on this symbol
    and what it sought to attain.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I undertand the pain related to this. My Mother was English. Her town lost most of the men born the same year as she (1924).

Simply admiring the coin (color and/or artwork) does not mean I believe in the political ideology responsible for its making. I understand its historical significance more than most people not actually alive during during the war.

However, I am sorry if I offended anyone.
    Rather than ballooning this thread, send me a PM if you wnat me to take it down.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    No, don't take it down.
    I was simply expressing my knee jerk reaction (perhaps too quickly).
    As I said, it's a striking coin...
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    As an aside, Caligula was a bad dude too, but coins with his bust have been sought after by so many.
    Paul
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have quite a few 2mark silvers, just for the purpose of NEVER FORGETING as I'm Czech and Slav

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    As an aside, Caligula was a bad dude too, but coins with his bust have been sought after by so many.

Yes, but so long ago that the immediacy of his evilness is non-existent.

It might be interesting to do a "bad dudes on coins" thread.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    'Tis nice to not only see laurentyvan in the land of the living again, but waxing poetic! image

Let's face it; coins with a dark past or the potraits of tyrants are just plain interesting, from a historical standpoint, if one can leave aside the political or emotional aspects.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>'Tis nice to not only see laurentyvan in the land of the living again, but waxing poetic! image

Let's face it; coins with a dark past or the potraits of tyrants are just plain interesting, from a historical standpoint, if one can leave aside the political or emotional aspects. >>

Thanks, LM. Well put.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting coin!
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Politics aside, the coins of prewar Germany are very well designed, generally very attractive in higher grades and good examples of the art deco style so en vogue at the time even in the US. And I do think these issues are often overlooked because of the horrors associated with the 3rd Reich.

But I do find it interesting that some folks seem almost apologetic about posting these artifacts. But its pretty easy to make the case that lots and lots of other issuers have had egregious problems with human rights at times, some even more recently, such as the Soviet Union (1930s Ukraine, Baltic States and Stalin's gulags), Belgium (Congo), Spain (Native cultures in the Americas), Italy (the inquisition, Ethopia), Cambodia (Pol Pot), the UK (Ireland, India, Scotland), China, Turkey (Armenia) and perhaps even the US (Native culture genocide and slave trade), etc etc. Making the comparison doesn't excuse any of them, but I fear if one wanted to collect and display only those issued by entities "without sin" it would be a very small list indeed (maybe just Andorra and Iceland). Just my two quadrini...

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But its pretty easy to make the case that lots and lots of other issuers have had egregious problems with human rights at times, some even more recently,. >>

well said!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭
    Coins can't be evil, us human beans have the market cornered on that.

The swastika is very similar to a symbol that was regarded as good luck for centuries before the Nazis.

And as STLNATS said there aren't many innocent countries out there. Look what the USA did to the natives, the bison and the bald eagle and then we put them on our coins.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.