Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Finest Possible Set Rating?

Wanted to run this by you guys....

I'd like to firm up my understanding of the "Finest Possible Set Rating?" listed with each different set.
It was my understanding that this is calculated by using the weighted average of the highest graded of each card in the set. Does anyone know if my understanding is correct or where I went wrong?

The reason that I'm checking is that I my set rating for the 72 set is 8.50. The Finest Possible is listed as 8.51. So, I went through the Pop report for the 72 set and plugged in the best of each card 8's, 9's and 10's and came out with what I believe as a Finest Possible 8.90.
Frank Bakka
Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
outerbankyank on eBay!

Comments

• Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    FB, don't be alarmed. There have been problems with some of the sets for many months now. The '64 Topps Giants Finest Set Rating still shows a rating of10.47. You can e-mail BJ to look into it and fix it, but it will only be fixed for a short time. They've been working on a resolution to the problem, and hopefully they will have a solution soon.

BTW, usually it's the opposite problem of what your're seeing. Usually the Finest Set Rating is too high with sets that are experiencing problems.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Gemmint,

I get the impression that these Finest Ratings were calculated at the time the set originally went up. And unless someone pressed someone at CU (i.e. BJ, Gayle, etc.) these have remained relatively static even though cards are being graded all of the time.

I was thinking of proposing to BJ that maybe once a year all of the set ratings should be recalculated. This way, it would account for all the grading having gone on but it wouldn't be so ridiculous as to change every month or week and take valuable time away from their priorities.

And believe me... alarmed is not something that I get over baseball cards. Thanks for the input.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Late1970sToppsLate1970sTopps Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    Frank:

The problem is that the finest possible set ratings have not been updated (in most cases) since the sets were placed on the registry.

Please check out the last entry under the thread "who is the post popular" where I talked about this.

Frank Smith
    (fesmith68@yahoo.com)
    Looking for 1975, 1978, and 1979 Topps Baseball in high end PSA 9 and PSA 10.
    FB - I had that discussion with BJ. They've talked about making sure the numbers are correct at least every seveal months. They're working on a way that it will tie right into the Pop report, but that's still a ways off.
  • Options
    BJBJ Posts: 393 mod
    Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately, the best possible set rating is only calculated at the time the set goes up, so in a few months time, the data could be off. Because at this point the set registry is not tied to the population report to allow for automatic calculations, the plan is to recalculate sets once a year. Amazingly, the PSA Set Registry is not a year old yet and so our concentration now is on getting new sets up and weighted.

I do get emails from a few people giving me updated information on the set ratings and which I always appreciate and am happy to update, so if you have a favorite set and you keep track of the pop report, feel free to contact me. If you are unsure of how weighted sets are calculated, contact me and I'll explain.

We eventually will have a tie to the population report data and will have the best possible set rating calculated automatically, but that is a ways down the queue at this point. In the meantime, we apppreciate your patience.

Thanks, and have a great Memorial Day weekend!
    BJ Searls
    bsearls@collectors.com
    Set Registry & Special Projects Director
    PCGS (coins) www.pcgs.com
    PSA (cards & tickets) www.psacard.com
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    BJ,

Go and enjoy your long weekend. Your working way too hardimage

Carlos