Home Precious Metals
Options

Engelhard Silver Bars, New Production out of Australia

LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just found these online, new Production bars stamped Engelhard Australia.

And for those who are wondering just who is selling these new production silver ingots, its an Ebay user by the name of
Silverstackers

A quote from one of the auctions
s
EXCLUSIVE USA SELLER!

Engelhard Australia Pty Ltd is proud to announce the re-introduction of Engelhard Australia branded silver bullion bars for the first time in decades. These new-manufacture 5oz cast silver bars are attractively finished with the Engelhard Australia logo on the front, and the fineness, metal, weight, and a unique serial number on the rear. Each bar is shipped in a protective cardboard box.

These bars are all low serial numbers with triple digits - the serial number format of the bars we have from this historic first-run batch is B00XXX. We will endeavor to supply consecutive serial numbers if you purchase more than one bar.

Not available from any US retail bullion dealer - these bars are being distributed exclusively within Australia, we are the only seller on or off eBay with stock on hand in the United States! (We are not Engelhard Australia, we are a reseller).

...Removed Advertising...

Just to clarify some unsolicited feedback received on our earlier auctions, and to correct a number of erroneous rumours flying around Internet forums - there has been some earnest dialogue with the operator of the All Engelhard website regarding the collector community's initial reception to the release of these bars which was rather sudden with no advance notice.

In a nutshell... these bars are new bars made in 2015, with their own unique proportions and a modernised logo, unlike any previous historical Engelhard Australia bar. They are made for Engelhard Australia Pty Ltd by a long established LBMA member refiner (whom cannot be disclosed for commercial reasons), but there a couple of experienced individuals working on the production line at this refinery making these new bars that personally worked on the production of Engelhard bars in the 1980s. Old time Engelhard guys making new Engelhard Australia bars. They are NOT a commissioned product by a bullion dealer under any sort of "naming rights" deal, nor are they "fakes" or "handcast garage knockoffs". Production runs will be dictated by market demand, not artificially limited to create scarcity. The company manufacturing these bars dates back to 1920, and it is a matter of public record that the current corporate entity was reformed in the 1980s, and that is the company today. Engelhard Australia was in commercial relationships with Engelhard Industries, and the Engelhard Australia company today still has these original papers in their archive amongst others. It's hoped that with the cooperation of the collector community that access to this archive will be made available for research and informational purposes.

So what does the collector community think about this development?

Would it affect the so called "legacy ingots" if production started on runs of odd sized bars that have high numerical and collector value?

Cheers
(Edit to include quote on the Engelhard Australia Company History)

It's all about what the people want...

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking old poured style bars. I'll wait to get some after their price comes down closer to melt value. I like that they come in their own cardboard box but would prefer if they came sealed in plastic like several other current brands. I don't think Engelhard collectors will confuse then with the older Engelhard bars. Johnson-Matthey has been reproducing their older bar designs for a few years now and these newer bars are very close in design to the originals. I'm not sure if that has hurt the value of the older J-M bars or not.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if that has hurt the value of the older J-M bars or not.

It has hurt them. For the record, I am totally against this. We'll see how it plays out and if the same result occurs as it has with OLDER JM bars that were once selling at Spot X $20 that now sell close to Spot.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not sure if that has hurt the value of the older J-M bars or not.

It has hurt them. For the record, I am totally against this. We'll see how it plays out and if the same result occurs as it has with OLDER JM bars that were once selling at Spot X $20 that now sell close to Spot. >>

Unlike the new J-M bars, these new Engelhard bars are sufficiently different from the originals that I doubt that they will hurt the value of the original vintage bars. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if new bullion buyers who buy these bars like them so much that they decide to seek out some of the older vintage bars.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the odds they are not from Australia? image

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'm fine with these.

They aren't my cup of tea, but if the lineage is there and the intent is to create modern bars with a nod to the classics, rather than to recreate exact (or near exact) copies of the originals, it's all good.

That's not to say some inexperienced bullion flippers won't get burned if they pay a premium for them thinking they're old. But so long as they're good .999 Ag and the weight is correct, you can't protect the stupid from themselves.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old time Engelhard guys making new Engelhard Australia bars.

of course. as many as they want.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And "they" continue to "print and debase" and make silver worthless.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    Would've thought they could have made the markings on the back a little more eye appealing. A little crude to me, but that's just MHO.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Surprised it took someone so long. As I say Christmas rounds or any other form of .999 Ag~silver is silverimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭

<< <i>there has been some earnest dialogue with the operator of the All Engelhard website regarding the collector community's initial reception >>

BWUAAAHHAAHAAHAAimage

Does this mean he has kissed the holy Ambassador's ring?
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot imagine anyone confusing Engelhard Australia's new production with vintage Engelhard Australia bars.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    right, no one could ever make one that looks anything like that, if the market demanded it image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>right, no one could ever make one that looks anything like that, if the market demanded it image >>

Try to grasp the main point. Engelhard Australia is not producing copies of the old bars nor do they intend to start copying them.

Individual fraudsters at times clumsily attempt to copy the vintage bars. The collecting community can spot them and Allengelhard maintains a registry of the known fakes.
  • Options
    Well then, here is the actual site of Engelhard Australia

It's got a nice little Bio on the Company if anyone is interested, and an offering of their current products.

<< <i>

It has hurt them. For the record, I am totally against this. We'll see how it plays out and if the same result occurs as it has with OLDER JM bars that were once selling at Spot X $20 that now sell close to Spot. >>

Unlike the new J-M bars, these new Engelhard bars are sufficiently different from the originals that I doubt that they will hurt the value of the original vintage bars. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if new bullion buyers who buy these bars like them so much that they decide to seek out some of the older vintage bars. >>

I remember seeing Johnson Matthey bars selling at a much higher % over spot before the current production. True, the design is nearly identicle on the smaller 1 & 10 ounce bars, however the new production kilogram bars with thier different updated stampings seem to have driven some premium away from the older, out of production kilos. I believe it has to do with these new production pieces being readily available at a low mark up concurrent to the spot price.

Edit: Link

• Options

<< <i>What are the odds they are not from Australia? image >>

Ahh, this conspiracy has a truthful ring to it...

Taken from a representative for an Australian based PM dealer...

I understand that for now these are made offshore on behalf of the Australian company by an LBMA refiner. Engelhard Australia is Australian owned.

For now.....

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would've thought they could have made the markings on the back a little more eye appealing. A little crude to me, but that's just MHO. >>

Agree with that. They made the top/front look pretty nice. But the back/reverse looks bush league.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Just like the JMs, I'll stick with the old versions at this time.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And "they" continue to "print and debase" and make silver worthless. >>

They're not using paper that is stamped "silver." image

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hope it's all legal.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Yikes. Hate to be a "vintage" Engelhard bar collector. No way you could define this as a positive.
    As others have aid JM was tuned into common bullion -not a bad thing for a plain ol stacker image

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I like them....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Unlike the new J-M bars, these new Engelhard bars are sufficiently different from the originals that I doubt that they will hurt the value of the original vintage bars. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if new bullion buyers who buy these bars like them so much that they decide to seek out some of the older vintage bars. >>

I agree. I'm new to PM. Bought one of these new bars. Actually my 1st bar over 1oz. Love it. Now I'm learning and going to be buying bigger older pour bars. imo when things are re-released (Sport cards, Action figures) it hurts the originals short term. But long term it brings new collectors (like me) to the market which helps and sometimes increases the value of the originals.
  • Options
    PeacePeoplePeacePeople Posts: 106 ✭✭
    Do you all really think it will have an effect on things like this? It's only been up for a couple hours and is rolling...

Text
    Nevermind...
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buying on the cheap since 1969… Probably won't change my ways any time soon.