Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newp: a conditionally very tough Italian States crown

From Milan, of Charles II of Spain. This Filippo is cataloged as KM-92 by Krause, and lists only two dates: 1676 and 1694. Oddly, the 1676 is Dav-4005 while 1694 is Dav-4007. The 1676 is a new purchase, and I don't have it in hand yet. The second coin is tied for highest graded at PCGS (55) for the date (and there is a picture there too!). NGC has two finer: 58, 61.

My 1676, yet to receive, is the highest graded at either service, but the pops are so small there are certainly pieces raw that rival or beat mine.

And for those who don't know, this type comes very poorly struck. Here are the seller's comments: "Frosty choice mint state, extremely rare as such" and "this is the best example of the type I've ever encountered". I've bought from the seller many times before, and he hasn't yet over-embellished his praise for a coin to me. So, I am hopeful that this will be a keeper!

[1676]

[1694]

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, EV.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Great pick up! Stunning design.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care for the 1676.

The 1694 is sweet looking though! image
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice pieces EVP. I doubt there are many in existence in that condition.

I like the design. I almost bought one that I saw floating on eBay a couple of years ago but I had other things in my sights at the same time.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing, EVP! Learn something new every day.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Please enlighten me, what are the causes for the edges to be so irregular? Just thinking of some reasons: the planchets were that way to begin with after filing for proper weight, after mint 'stealing' of silver, cutting down to match weight of another coin in circulation (similar to what was done to 1652 Massachusetts pine tree shillings to match 2 reale coins),
    any other guesses?
    Paul
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect the images may not quite capture the look of the coins in hand. And I write this in part because I like the 1676 more than the 1694. The 1676 looks to have an amazing strike and likely is among the finest known... I do not get the same impression of the 1694. I attribute that to the look on the high points and what looks to be glare- from the image and I suspect the coin is better in hand.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sure you can get more of the image and given the dealer you bought this from has a highly discriminating eye, I am certain this is a killer coin in hand. Try reimaging perhaps.

I can take the 1694 if you no longer need it.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can take the 1694 if you no longer need it. >>

Zohar - if you want to buy it, we can take it offline. But, didn't know that you are into this material...

• Options
    It was in jest image but thank you for the offer.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow that 1676 is really special.

You will get a solid MS grade on that one!

BTW, had you molded the circle around the planchet closer like the circ example I bet you'd get different opinions as both have irregularities one maybe more obvious than the other...the black background is bringing it out more than it deserves image

Just realized it not your photo - but you know what I mean...
  • Options

<< <i>You will get a solid MS grade on that one! >>

I bought the coin already graded. While I haven't gotten the coin yet, I expect it'll be very hard to image because the coin is not flat. But, from the dealer's picture, the coin clearly looks lustrous.

<< <i>BTW, had you molded the circle around the planchet closer like the circ example I bet you'd get different opinions as both have irregularities one maybe more obvious than the other...the black background is bringing it out more than it deserves image

Just realized it not your photo - but you know what I mean... >>

Yes, the background can positively or negatively accentuate a coin, but in this case we'll just have to admit that Milanese craftsmanship just wasn't that good. Just look at the poor quality of Spanish New World coinage. I guess the best work was reserved for the home audience.

EVP

• Options
    I just received this coin today (layaway), and it has very nice frosty luster. The details are nice too. The toning is a bit mild, like a light grey or champagne patina (lighter than the image would suggest, but not "bright-ish"). Perhaps dusky is a better word to use. I like it. I hope it stays 'highest graded' for a very long time.

EVP

• Options
    That must have been a painful wait. Glad you like it!
  • Options

<< <i>That must have been a painful wait. Glad you like it! >>

Thanks, and yes it was a VERY painful wait. I've waited for some coins for a longer period of time (8 months is my longest layaway!), but never have I not scratched the itch during that waiting period.

• Options
    My picture (the portrait is slightly double-struck):

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems very lustrous and choice. Nice pick-up. Nice patience.