Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWPs: 2 Parthians (Images Added)

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am not in love with Parthian coinage designs yet thought these would be representative for the ancient set. Images are NGC's and hopefully I can do better.

Comments

• Options
    quite nice examples here!
    Ch MS 5/5 5/5

I wish I knew how to read these image

=Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am not in love with Parthian coinage designs yet thought these would be representative for the ancient set. >>

I am also not a big fan of Parthian coinage design. They seem like a *better* version of the Anglo-Saxon stuff I collect. But, these coins seem very nice to me. And, yes, your images are MUCH better than NGC's. (NGC's images made the coins seem freshly dipped, which I'm hoping that yours is more representative.)

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are in my price range but I have yet to get one, still. Great stuff, Z.
  • Options
    TIF2TIF2 Posts: 233
    Those are certainly nicer than many Parthians but choice MS? Strike 5/5?? The Vologases IV reverse is a mess (the die and strike) and the Vologases III reverse has areas of flattening or lack of fill yet is was also deemed "5/5".

A quick spin through CNG's archives shows numerous lovely examples with better strikes and similar condition (maybe not as shiny) but their grades (unslabbed) are mostly EF.

Maybe I just don't understand grading.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both nice looking Parthians
    Excellent!
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins. I only own one Parthian but I really like the coins for some reason. Men in hats, mostly. They seem to sell for more dollars than most anyone agrees they should because it seems like a relatively small group of collectors pursue these. Unless maybe everyone looking for one nice one for their ancient sets is ruining it, lol.

Lack of information/knowledge on my part is also another reason I have not delved more deeply into this field.