Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA grading question: 1960 Post Cereal

Will PSA grade the large 1960 Post Cereal cards? I emailed PSA, and was told they would, but they didn't directly address my question about whether they had a holder that large. Only two have been graded (both Mantles), and I know one is severely trimmed and fit in the holder. When I was at the last National in Chicago, I was told that they didn't have a holder large enough.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

Comments

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    It will be slabbed authentic if the card has been trimmed down enough to fit in the holder.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I used to own a 1960 post cereal mantle, i sent it to SGC and got a 10-Poor grade. I since then sold it, with just about my entire Mantle collection (except the 52T & 51B)
    Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments. My communication with PSA has not yet provided a definitive answer.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options

<< <i>I used to own a 1960 post cereal mantle, i sent it to SGC and got a 10-Poor grade. I since then sold it, with just about my entire Mantle collection (except the 52T & 51B) >>

Does SGC have a holder that fits the entire "card" with its complete border without trimming?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I used to own a 1960 post cereal mantle, i sent it to SGC and got a 10-Poor grade. I since then sold it, with just about my entire Mantle collection (except the 52T & 51B) >>

Does SGC have a holder that fits the entire "card" with its complete border without trimming? >>

HERE IS THE ONE I 'USED TO OWN":
    Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options

That card looks a lot better with its border in the SGC holder than it does trimmed in the PSA holder, no question.

• Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    Great looking card. Last time the National was in Chicago, PSA said they couldn't fit it into one of their holders. I'm still waiting on an updated answer from PSA now. Guess I could just get it in an SGC holder. Also, mine is autographed and JSA authenticated.

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    In 2008, I approached PSA about grading my 1960 Post Cereal Mickey Mantle. They refused, saying as others have commented, there was not a PSA holder suitable for such an over-sized card. I walked over to SGC's booth. They were intrigued by the card, to say the least. Sean Skeffington said it could only receive the AUTHENTIC grade, since he felt there was the tiniest of area missing on the frame. They must have relaxed their standard on numerically grading these, because mine has way more of the frame, and it's undisturbed as well. To the point, they weren't sure if they could fit it in their over-sized card holder, but they would give it their best shot. It JUST fit, and looks spectacular! In the ensuing years, I am certain I recall reading where PSA now has a holder that would be suitable for the 1960 Post. Not sure if it's the same one they use for the 1953 Wheaties premiums, and it may require the mylar bag, which if done right looks terrific. Regardless, hope you get an answer soon that satisfies you. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)