Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What would this 1971 Topps Killebrew grade?

I am building a 1971 Topps set with all the HOFers in PSA 7 (with a few exceptions) and everything else ungraded. I picked this card up through a Greg Morris set break last year. My thought was that I would eventually participate in a group submission once I had like 10 cards to sub. Since then, I have not acquired any other sub worthy raw cards.

There are no surface issues that do not show in the scans. I'm thinking a 7 should be a slam dunk but wondering about the potential for an 8. Don't know if the centering would hold it back. There is also some tilt that shows most prominently on the right border.

Daniel

Comments

• Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    check the sides to make sure there are no sharpie fill ins. there looks to be one spot (could just be scan) along the right border about hands high, that looks like a chip that's been filled in...hopefully not, but it's a fairly common and frustrating practice when it comes to raw 71s.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it will grade PSA 8 due to top left corner and T/B centering, but I do see a NM 7, if it hasn't been doctored.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    dtsadtsa Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Psa7
    Chaz
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably looking at a 7 but I've seen 8s with worse centering and corners than this one.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think it will grade PSA 8 due to top left corner and T/B centering, but I do see a NM 7, if it hasn't been doctored. >>

What Tim said ---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    I will say 7.5. That is a beautiful card.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I see it as a psa 7 as well.
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422

<< <i>check the sides to make sure there are no sharpie fill ins. there looks to be one spot (could just be scan) along the right border about hands high, that looks like a chip that's been filled in...hopefully not, but it's a fairly common and frustrating practice when it comes to raw 71s. >>

I see that too.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>check the sides to make sure there are no sharpie fill ins. there looks to be one spot (could just be scan) along the right border about hands high, that looks like a chip that's been filled in...hopefully not, but it's a fairly common and frustrating practice when it comes to raw 71s. >>

Good catch there. Amazing what shows up on these blown up scans. I did give it a good look and it looks fine.
    Daniel