Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Storage suggestions for a medal I'm sure some other members have.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
I won this Thomas Edison medal on eBay a few weeks ago and it finally arrived today, an absolute gem with no trace of wear or contacts. The only blemishes are obverse/reverse areas where it has rested and not toned along with a few scattered dark spots. I had one of these in the past in not nearly as nice condition and that is the reason for my inquiry. The medal is easily close to a half-inch thick but at the rims it is only about an eight of an inch, hence, the problem. What can I store it in?? even the thickest Air-Tite won't work and short of some kind of custom made capsule I'm at a loss.

I know other members have these and medals which are just as thick. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The medal was part of a very well done series that was issued in the early 1960's. Your best bet for storage would be to try and find one of the original boxes. Unfortunately, the original boxes are probably much scarcer than the medal itself. Failing that, you might try one of the display cases that collectors of things like insects use. They are black cardboard with a soft white inside and a clear top.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    If you have a home vacuum packer, you can always vac it.
    That will protect it & should prevent any spots that are there from growing or any new spots from developing.

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    cool medal.... sorry I'm no help on storage.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    What's the diameter?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to read someone asked about the diameter- I was thinking the same thing.

Unfortunately, I am not good at describing these little felt-like material pouches that the copper collectors use for their half cents and large cents. I suspect larger ones are made for medals likely up to 75mm. Consider a call to one of the dealers that specialize in medals and I suspect they could get something for you or tell you where you could get them. Perhaps n a hobby store in your local area may have something similar to what I am trying to describe

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Good to read someone asked about the diameter- I was thinking the same thing.

the diameter is approx. 43mm, but that isn't the biggest concern which is why I didn't list it, the concern is the thickness. capsules at 43mm are available but I have been unable to find one to accommodate the thickness. as 291fifth indicated in his first reply, these were part of a series so I'm hoping a member who has one and already solved the storage problem will reply. for now I have it in a 2.5x2.5 SaFlip inside of a PCGS/NGC slab box. that works to protect it but doesn't solve the display problem.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was think storage more than display. I suppose the riker mounts concept would work and you van always take it out to look at the reverse.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you have a home vacuum packer, you can always vac it.
    That will protect it & should prevent any spots that are there from growing or any new spots from developing.

HH >>

I like the sound of that idea.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    I use acid free anti-tarnish silver tissue paper and fold it around the medal, and then put it in a white (or whatever color) acid free coin envelope. I have dozens of medals and store them all this way. On the outside of the envelope I write the description, attribution weight, diameter, catalog number, and if the composition is uncertain from the appearance of the medal (such as a gilt medal) I add specific gravity. I then put the envelopes in the medium size cardboard boxes used by baseball card collectors.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's plain edge?

I guess you want ready made, but you may have to surrender to the custom holder solution, a la capital plastics style. It'd just need more sandwich layers and longer screws.... (and more money than ready made.)

Perhaps there are combo solutions?

example easel

example plastic box

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Just to show how I store medals as described above. The goal is archival safe storage. Each is wrapped in archival materials; wrapped in acid free silver anti-tarnish tissue paper within an acid-free coin envelope. I put all of the information on the coin envelope including composition, attribution, rarity, diameter, weight, and specific gravity if needed. I add any important notes as well if I know something special about the medal. I usually place the wrapped medal within a smaller coin envelope before placing it in the larger envelope with the documentation written on it. I document everything on an Excel worksheet and have a high resolution photo as well to document ownership. This way if I get hit by a truck, my wife knows what she is looking at when she goes to the safety deposit box. I did not invent this system, it was taught to me by a mentor numismatist.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tap Plastics made a holder for a set of medals I had.
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice medal and patina. Really like the look.
    Dupreman, like your avatar ... and your cataloging/storage system. Organized, safe and simple.

I had this holder custom made by a forum member. PM me if you want more details.
    I know the name of the medal should be fixed in the text, my mistake. Thanks, Bob

Lighthouse makes a real nice tray that holds six large size medals Lighthouse MBXL6
    I have several different styles of these, plus they stack and lock together. Very nice system and display.

Coin Box 6 square compartments in size 86x86 mm (3 1/4 x 3 1/4 in), smoke colored

Lighthouse MBXL6

Best prices I've found are here ... iHobb (no affiliation, just good prices and service)
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 997 ✭✭✭
    I love my solution for this, as I too, searched for an answer for quite a while.
    I have an extensive Inaugural Medals collection, and I want to have them easily viewable and in safe storage. After many different trial and errors, I finally settled on this and am so happy with the look and security against the elements(thus far at least).

Scott-Western Coin Supply has an "airtite" called the RC-350. Its $5 and is 89mm. You have a choice between Black or White foam rings inside. There are reduction rings that help size it down. I then went to the Foam Store and got some stiff foam and brought it home and cut it to my Riker Box dimensions with a sharp exacto knife. Sharp is the key! Placed the medals how I want them to look in the box, then cut around them. TIP: cut slightly UNDER the RC-350 as the foam can expand when you push the holder in. If you cut flush, or straight down, the RC-350 may have wiggle room and move around.
    I use the RC-350s for almost all my medals. If the medal is too think and the RC-350 won't close, I use black electric tape to "seal" it around the edge and it still has a clean look.

Below is the 1905 Roosevelt Medal and it is 44mm. It is quite thick too. I used the reduction rings to make it "fit".

The Obama Inaugurals are also deep and they fit as well.

• Options
    this might work, I'll check it out more extensively when I get home.image
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice medal and patina. Really like the look.
    Dupreman, like your avatar ... and your cataloging/storage system. Organized, safe and simple.

I had this holder custom made by a forum member. PM me if you want more details.
    I know the name of the medal should be fixed in the text, my mistake. Thanks, Bob

>>

Baddoggs I traveled to Morgan Hill to have that same type of custom holder made for me for a Nini Medallion several years ago -it is actually at auction at PCAC now. I forgot the name/contact info to have it done. Can you send me a PM. or I can PM you?

Yes, great Avatars think alike. What most don't know is that my avatar is of the first die state of the JPJ medal. It has never been published -but coming soon. This medal has the very earliest state of the dies, with the earliest seen state of the lettering, a shorter ribbon, and some differences in the hair detail. Stahl mistakenly referred to it as being struck from US gunmetal dies. Dupré or some engraver there found the design unsatisfactory, so lengthened the ribbon, added hair detail, and some detail to the moon and clouds on reverse. I know of only four JPJ medals struck from the original design on the dies. Surprisingly one of them is gilt copper, with lots of hand retooling to make it appear to be a gold medal - obviously a prototype. It was not uncommon to make later artistic corrections to medals in the process of designing medals. One of the last changes made on the Libertas Americana was lengthening the tails of the two serpents.
  • Options

<< <i>I love my solution for this, as I too, searched for an answer for quite a while.
    I have an extensive Inaugural Medals collection, and I want to have them easily viewable and in safe storage. After many different trial and errors, I finally settled on this and am so happy with the look and security against the elements(thus far at least).

>>

I also use airtites sometimes. The only problem with them is that they sometimes are not thick enough to close due to the high relief on some medals. Also if you cannot find an inner ring that properly fits the medal, you end up with a serious rattler.
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Very nice medal and patina. Really like the look.

>>

Baddoggs I traveled to Morgan Hill to have that same type of custom holder made for me for a Nini Medallion several years ago -it is actually at auction at PCAC now. I forgot the name/contact info to have it done. Can you send me a PM. or I can PM you?

Yes, great Avatars think alike. What most don't know is that my avatar is of the first die state of the JPJ medal. It has never been published -but coming soon. This medal has the very earliest state of the dies, with the earliest seen state of the lettering, a shorter ribbon, and some differences in the hair detail. Stahl mistakenly referred to it as being struck from US gunmetal dies. Dupré or some engraver there found the design unsatisfactory, so lengthened the ribbon, added hair detail, and some detail to the moon and clouds on reverse. I know of only four JJ medals struck from the original design on the dies. Surprisingly one of them is gilt copper, with lots of hand retooling to make it appear to be a gold medal - obviously a prototype. It was not uncommon to make later artistic corrections to medals in the process of designing medals. One of the last changes made on the Libertas Americana was lengthening the tails of the two serpents. >>

Well ... it appears as though some of my PMs been purged.
    Can't find the thread in my PM history now from when I purchased the holder.

I have other records somewhere I'm sure. Had two holders made at different times.
    Plus got some spare screws from them.

Thanks for the specifics regarding your John Paul Jones medal. Cool stuff.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options

<< <i>
    Well ... it appears as though some of my PMs been purged.
    Can't find the thread in my PM history now from when I purchased the holder.

I have other records somewhere I'm sure. Had two holders made at different times.
    Plus got some spare screws from them.

Thanks for the specifics regarding your John Paul Jones medal. Cool stuff. >>

Not to worry. The person at the time was writing a book now finished, so I know where to find him if I dig around. Just thought you might have the info at hand. It has been a few years since I've seen the custom holders offered - I wonder if they still make them.

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    I believe I purchased a couple of holders from the same person:
    imageimage

However, checking my PM history (I can't believe these are from 7 years ago!), the website he had under development back then no longer exists:
    http://www.coinholdersonline.com/

BTW, Dupreman, that is an extremely awe-inspiring image!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file