Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Express Grading

JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
I sent in a single coin for "Express Grade" crossover (the coin is currently in a NGC holder) a couple of weeks ago. It arrived at PCGS on May 19 and was logged into their system on May 21. Six business days after it was logged in and still no grade. Now another weekend wait.

I see there are Economy and Modern submissions being graded that arrived after my Express (from the shared orders published). Is it common for an Express order to be de-prioritized like that? I haven't submitted Express before; the lack of priority makes me wonder why I did. I guess I just needed to vent a bit. imageimageimageimage
I love them Barber Halves.....

Comments

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Express grading is suppose to be 5 business days (excluding holidays, weekends, shows etc). I'm sure it gets scheduled just like everything except walk through so it should get the grading treatment shortly.

I've submitted here and ATS at least 30 times in the last 5 years and once, just once was a submission graded faster than posted. I think any level other than Economy is a gamble since those time frames are "estimates". Just sit tight and learn from your experience.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Does being a crossover add time?
    Ed
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does being a crossover add time? >>

There's no valid reason why it should. A coin is a coin whether it's in a flip or a slab.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it isn't expensive enough to require express service, I'd contact customer service & request a refund. If it is, I'd still want an explanation.
  • Options
    The coins value exceeds the $3K Regular submission limit, so I really had no choice. I did have expectations that the 5 day limit would be met, however, since my recent regular submissions have been taking 5 days or so. I guess what I've learned is don't pay the extra $$ for speedier service- it may not happen.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been there done that kind of like stop crying get in line give me your money and wait till we get to it, Not worth the extra $$$. But you will get your grades on Monday I bet. Good luck and hope it's what you want.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think, "pony express' and you'll be fine.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not very late at 6 days. And the timeframes are estimates. Still, I feel your pain. You are forced to pay more but are promised speedy service.

If it takes much longer I would certainly get on the phone.
    Lance.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it arrived during the PCGS Vegas show that could slow it down as the people to make certain calls may have been at the show.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    I'll get over it- I just had too high of expectations. Patience is a virtue- I guess I need to find some.
  • Options
    I waited impatiently over the weekend fully expecting a grade today- NADA! imageimage

The saga continues to tomorrow, day 8 of the "Pony" Express order. But the good news is they're pumping out those State Quarter grades in record time! imageimage

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    griping about what one can't control is like shooting BB's at a battleship does no good

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    GoldCoin98GoldCoin98 Posts: 403 ✭✭
    You aren't just paying for speedier service. With express submissions you get more experienced graders than economy and regular submissions.

Dozens of BST deals completed, including: kalshacon, cucamongacoin, blu62vette, natetrook, JGNumismatics, Coinshowman, DollarAfterDollar, timbuk3, jimdimmick & many more
  • Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You aren't just paying for speedier service. With express submissions you get more experienced graders than economy and regular submissions. >>

At least the hope is for more experienced graders.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You aren't just paying for speedier service. With express submissions you get more experienced graders than economy and regular submissions. >>

REALLY? Now I know I'm nothing more than chicken liver. image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

<< <i>griping about what one can't control is like shooting BB's at a battleship does no good >>

I humbly disagree, it makes me feel better. From what I'm reading it shouldn't be called "Express" service, just "Reduce Our Risk" service. At least now I know how it works.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

To OP I went through this last year, wish I had vented and learned the "process".

OP and fellow formites I THANK YOU for this EYE opening information.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

I don't believe this is a true statement, although I did just see a UFO.image
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    Express Service should be renamed "Coins Over $3K Service".
    Would that make you feel better?
  • Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭

This is obviously a joke...I hope image
  • Options
    Yep, I would feel better. No grade on Day 8; let's see if anything happens on day 9. Now it's become a curiosity- I'm forgetting what I submitted.

If the coin doesn't cross can I claim a refund based on time/ value?
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep, I would feel better. No grade on Day 8; let's see if anything happens on day 9. Now it's become a curiosity- I'm forgetting what I submitted.

If the coin doesn't cross can I claim a refund based on time/ value? >>

they quit guaranteeing delivery times as soon as people discovered the word refund.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>Express Service should be renamed "Coins Over $3K Service".
    Would that make you feel better? >>

+1 Much better name!
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    On to day 10 for Express grading. For informational purposes only.
  • Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear; I'm on week 6 of Economy.
    www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    The torture never stops.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just had grades post today for a six coin crossover sent via regular service level...took just six days image
  • Options
    Well PCGS had a busy day grading my coins. They processed my Economy, Regular, and Express order all in the same day. And yes, they were all entered into their system the same day. I suppose it may just be coincidental, but it does seem the different tiers are more about the value of the coin and less about the priority it gets in the grading room.

The good news for me, however, is my NGC coin crossed to PCGS at the same grade so I'm now happy!! imageimageimageimage
  • Options

Great news, and no, they are not all graded at the same time usually. I have had economy go 60 days and express go 4 in the same package. The other day, I had regular service done in 3 days. I am super happy with the turnarounds these days, in spite of all your complaining! image
  • Options
    Me complain? I was just providing a Public Service Announcement......
  • Options
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

<< <i>Me complain? I was just providing a Public Service Announcement...... >>

So you should have made a thread complimenting the awesome service you got on your economy and regular order then, as a public service announcement!
  • Options
    Shucks- you stole my thunder.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have this little unwritten rule in our service business,

First complaint or betch, we listen.

Second complaint or betch, we listen.

Third time we just nod.

Fourth time we hand them back the work half finished and wish them good luck.

I've always wondered why a person would criticize the cook before he is finished cooking your meal.
    Have a nice day

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file