Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1979 Topps Gretzky PSA 9....... $9,000?

Unbelievable. I bought one just last year for less than 2k.

Gretzky

Comments

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't follow the Topps version of this card but that's a pretty nice example, can't imagine there are any nicer so I think that explains the price.

I don't think you will see 9's sell consistently at this price.

And last sale I see is 2014 for 3500, I don't see a sale in 14 for 2K. Looks like in 2013 you could have the card as low as $1500
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't follow the Topps version of this card but that's a pretty nice example, can't imagine there are any nicer so I think that explains the price.

I don't think you will see 9's sell consistently at this price.

And last sale I see is 2014 for 3500, I don't see a sale in 14 for 2K. Looks like in 2013 you could have the card as low as $1500 >>

VCP does not pick up every sale if the wording in the listing is not complete. Example: "Gretzky RC graded 9"
  • Options
    That makes sense, either way you are definitely correct that this was a 2K card not very long ago. What's interesting is that this card came up for sale a bunch of times in 2013, then only a handful of times in 2014 and this is the first sale of 2015.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    It really is high-end.

I'd like to know what kept it out of a 10 holder. Must be something (maybe a corner) under magnification.
  • Options

<< <i>It really is high-end.

I'd like to know what kept it out of a 10 holder. Must be something (maybe a corner) under magnification. >>

Looks like a very minor print issue in the top right corner, there is some white in the blue.
  • Options
    I'm really glad I didn't sell my 9 last year. When a card like this sells for such a high price does that push up prices for 8's and 7's too?
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Don't like the side to side centering on that card. >>

When I blew it up in Photoshop, the blue borders on the side were exactly the same width, down to the pixel. And 50/50 isn't a requirement for a PSA 10, let alone a 9, anyway.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Perhaps you're right, and my 50 year old eyes are deceiving me, but based on that PWCC picture, it looks way off center.
    >>

Your card looks centered to me, and so does the PWCC card. Do you think the PWCC card has more border on the left side, or the right?
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the centering on the PWCC 9 that sold is considered bad then it's time for me to exit the graded card racket completely. That's some solid centering on that card.
  • Options
    I would agree that it looks nicely centered, well within the parameters for a 9.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

When I blew it up in Photoshop, the blue borders on the side were exactly the same width, down to the pixel. And 50/50 isn't a requirement for a PSA 10, let alone a 9, anyway. >>

I'd say not a chance, so I'd like to hear other people's opinions. Perhaps you're right, and my 50 year old eyes are deceiving me, but based on that PWCC picture, it looks way off center.

Here's a lesser grade Gretzky of mine that has a little better centering. I am one of those collectors that has to have a Gretzky rookie as close to 50/50 as possible.
    image[/URL] >>

FWIW the Gretz is not that hard a card to find centered so I'm not particularly impressed with low grade specimens that have near perfect centering. I get that a low grade 68 Parent 50/50 would be impressive but with the Gretz rookie the other factors are super important IMO. And the Topps 9 is pretty spectacular IMO, a high grade 9.
  • Options
    The PWCC card is quite possibly the finest copy in existence, 9 or 10.
  • Options

<< <i>

FWIW the Gretz is not that hard a card to find centered so I'm not particularly impressed with low grade specimens that have near perfect centering. I get that a low grade 68 Parent 50/50 would be impressive but with the Gretz rookie the other factors are super important IMO. And the Topps 9 is pretty spectacular IMO, a high grade 9. >>

Agree. It's pretty easy to find Topps Gretzky 79's that are centered (even w/ the oil drip).
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

When I blew it up in Photoshop, the blue borders on the side were exactly the same width, down to the pixel. And 50/50 isn't a requirement for a PSA 10, let alone a 9, anyway. >>

I'd say not a chance, so I'd like to hear other people's opinions. Perhaps you're right, and my 50 year old eyes are deceiving me, but based on that PWCC picture, it looks way off center.

Here's a lesser grade Gretzky of mine that has a little better centering. I am one of those collectors that has to have a Gretzky rookie as close to 50/50 as possible.
    image[/URL] >>

That's a beautiful Gretzky you have there. I am mighty impressed. It is relatively difficult to find OPC Gretzky rookies with centering like that. Even though the oil drip isn't perfect, the tip lines up well and doesn't detract from the overall appearance of the card. I'd be proud to have one like that in my collection.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

FWIW the Gretz is not that hard a card to find centered so I'm not particularly impressed with low grade specimens that have near perfect centering. I get that a low grade 68 Parent 50/50 would be impressive but with the Gretz rookie the other factors are super important IMO. And the Topps 9 is pretty spectacular IMO, a high grade 9. >>

Agree. It's pretty easy to find Topps Gretzky 79's that are centered (even w/ the oil drip). >>

Yes, 79 Topps, easy.
    79 opc, not as easy. >>

+1
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The PWCC card is quite possibly the finest copy in existence, 9 or 10. >>

What does this card have that the other 123 copies in PSA 9 do not have ? >>

Wonderful question! How about we ASK the (3) bidders who all bid 8K or more to win the card when there were recent sales at 3,500 and 4,000 a few months back??? This card sold for a grand or two less than the highest recorded OPC sale in PSA 9.
  • Options
    It helps that the PWCC hockey auction endings coincided with an eBay Bucks 10% off deal. Definitely does not account for everything, but it's extra icing on top for many bidders.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It helps that the PWCC hockey auction endings coincided with an eBay Bucks 10% off deal. Definitely does not account for everything, but it's extra icing on top for many bidders. >>

The 10% eBay bucks deal is capped at $100 per transaction so they got the same amount back in eBay bucks as they would with the regular 2%.
    Steve
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It helps that the PWCC hockey auction endings coincided with an eBay Bucks 10% off deal. Definitely does not account for everything, but it's extra icing on top for many bidders. >>

The 10% eBay bucks deal is capped at $100 per transaction so they got the same amount back in eBay bucks as they would with the regular 2%. >>

Ah. Right, of course. Still, I would definitely have been happy to ha e been a consignor to that portion of the auction. Good prices all around.