Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

PCGS results on counterstamp and world silver submission

Here are 4 I just got back yesterday. Most I bought when silver was under 8$ an ounce and bulk.

1927m Australia shilling. (got in bulk silver purchase)
imageimage
1786 Brazil 10R with 1809 20R Counterstamp (purchased long ago not for much)
imageimage
1901 Straits 5 Cent (purchased in bulk silver lot)
imageimage
1883 Sol with 1894 1/2 real C/S (Had this one a long time). One of my favorites. Not sure why PCGS put peso on label?
imageimage

Comments

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love how the counter stamp gets its own grade.

I too am a big fan of bulk silver lots. Especially direct from dealers who dont know world coins. Surprising how much low grade straits pieces can be found.
  • TIF2TIF2 Posts: 233
    Countermark with it's own grade? image

Why is the countermark given a details grade? It appears undamaged. Seems like the coin should be given a details grade (it has been "damaged" by a C/M) and the countermark an undamaged grade.
  • coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    yea im not sure about that either. Someone dropped the ball maybe. I would say in a minimum that the label reading peso is a bigger mistake. Its a 1/2 real CS on a Un Sol. No peso whatsoever on the coin.
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    I hadn't noticed the separate grade the first time around.image

That shilling appears to be a great score if it simply came from a bag of silver sold by weight. The kind that will make shroom very jealous . image

But I too think it's super cool. As to why it got an XF details grade, who are we to criticize the grading Gods? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    The countermark grade is supposed to be primary, and the host coin secondary (if at all). Neither of the services has figured this out yet.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.