Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Cameo Cards Eligible for Player Master Sets?

Title pretty much says it all. For cameo's, I'm referring to cards where more than one player is pictured and the non-featured player is the one you want to add the card to their Master (i.e. player being tagged out where the fielder is the primary focus of the card).

Comments

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    My first reaction is "that's crazy." After a bit of thought, I sort of don't mind it. The cards are probably less expensive, not that many cards qualify, and it's kind of fun.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My first reaction is "that's crazy." After a bit of thought, I sort of don't mind it. The cards are probably less expensive, not that many cards qualify, and it's kind of fun. >>

I thought it might be considered crazy image Here's an example that I'd be interested in adding to the Larkin Master (too lazy to dig one of mine out and scan it)....

I have a PSA10 of it on the way, and ever since I found the Larkin appearance on the card I've had it in my raw collection. I just couldn't find anything clarifying exactly what the requirements were for adding items to the Master sets, but since he's pictured on the card thought it might be OK.
  • Options
    csakerscsakers Posts: 239
    I like the idea, as it makes collecting fun. However, I would assume PSA would be against adding these types of cards to the player collections. I believe they would say the player must be the featured player to be included. However, super sets seem to be all the rage these days. Maybe, these types of items could be included in those. (I would still like to simply see them added to the regular player collections.)
    I only need 18 cards to complete the Don Mattingly Master collection. Help would be great!
  • Options

<< <i>I like the idea, as it makes collecting fun. However, I would assume PSA would be against adding these types of cards to the player collections. I believe they would say the player must be the featured player to be included. However, super sets seem to be all the rage these days. Maybe, these types of items could be included in those. (I would still like to simply see them added to the regular player collections.) >>

Seeing you're a Mattingly master collector, did you catch his cameos here: Link?
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey LC

I don't think PSA will allow it.
    I had tried to get this card in my Bucyk Master Set and was told, by PSA thru email, that somewhere on the card the player has to mentioned or referred to.
    Still a nice card though.

WOW, Sorry for the BIG photo!
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    They told me the same thing when I submitted a couple for inclusion is a master set.

<< <i>Hey LC

I don't think PSA will allow it.
    I had tried to get this card in my Bucyk Master Set and was told, by PSA thru email, that somewhere on the card the player has to mentioned or referred to.
    Still a nice card though.

! >>

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    Larkin,

Thanks for the links to the Mattingly cameo shots/lists. I have always enjoyed these types of cards and thought it was great when my favorite players appeared on other players' cards.
    I only need 18 cards to complete the Don Mattingly Master collection. Help would be great!
  • Options
    Just a thought, but maybe PSA would approve a Registry Collection of simply these types of cards. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just a thought, but maybe PSA would approve a Registry Collection of simply these types of cards. Any thoughts? >>

I'm sure they would, although if they didn't, it would still make a nice gallery.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Just a thought, but maybe PSA would approve a Registry Collection of simply these types of cards. Any thoughts? >>

I'm sure they would, although if they didn't, it would still make a nice gallery. >>

Good idea if they won't do a Larkin Cameos registry, a gallery would work. First cameo arrived today...
    I also put a list of the others I'm aware of in the BST, but I don't have a lot of hope I'll find them already graded. Most are 90s commons.
  • Options
    RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    PSA used to have cameo appearances in the Master Set Registry. The example I have is the 1983 Topps Reggie Smith #282. This card featured Sandberg returning to first base as the pitched threw over there. Cool card as it is his rookie card year. About 2-3 years ago it was removed from the Sandberg Master Set. I'm pretty sure they will no longer add a cameo to the master sets.
  • Options

<< <i>PSA used to have cameo appearances in the Master Set Registry. The example I have is the 1983 Topps Reggie Smith #282. This card featured Sandberg returning to first base as the pitched threw over there. Cool card as it is his rookie card year. About 2-3 years ago it was removed from the Sandberg Master Set. I'm pretty sure they will no longer add a cameo to the master sets. >>

Definitely a cool card! I'll have to investigate a Super set or dedicated cameo set.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my favorite cameo appearance:

Yes, that is Maury Wills at second base, on a 1960 Topps card (3 years before his 1963 Fleer "rookie" card, and 7 years before his "first" Topps card).

Steve
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing this card! That is truly a unique and very cool card, especially given how long BEFORE his rookie card(s) were produced and released.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Especially for modern players, of whom there are nearly limitless cards to choose from, I think it is unnecessary to add cameo cards to any player set.
    Maybe for Ty Cobb or Joe Jackson I could understand it, but multiple hundred legit cards is more than enough to keep one busy.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Another Mattingly cameo (Josh Beckett No Hitter - 2015 Topps)

2015 Topps Josh Beckett - Mattingly cameo