Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Topps Wax Wrappers

Hey Guys,

I've been collecting Topps wax wrappers for a while now, but got away from it for some time. I just started up again and noticed I had the attached wrapper, but I don't have any info written down for it. I have it between my 74s and 75s and it has the 74 style so I figure it is a 74. I use this webpage to keep track of what I have and what I need. http://www.baseballwrappers.com/gallery.php?page=4& I don't see this wrapper on that site. Does anyone have any info on it? As the site shows, there are 4 different offers for 2 different style wrapper fronts. If the image I posted is indeed a 74, are there different offers for that style or is it just the one?

Also, I know Topps used old wrappers to wrap newer cards. I have a PSA graded 1976 pack that PSA says is wrapped in a 1974 wrapper. It looks exactly like a 74 wrapper (the All 660 Cards front, but with a different offer). I noticed the offer expires in 1976 as opposed to 1974. I have since picked up 3 different 1974 All 660 cards style wrappers, all with different offers and expiration dates of 1976. So, is the wrapper really considered a 1974 or a 1976?

Thanks,
Chris
Love '83 Topps. Looking to put together a PSA 10 set.

Comments

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a 1966 wrapper. The 1974s re-used the same look.
  • Options
    cgcmgrcgcmgr Posts: 116 ✭✭
    Thanks
    Love '83 Topps. Looking to put together a PSA 10 set.
  • Options
    5-cent price makes it 1966 as stated .
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrappers are pretty cool to collect. Very colorful and reasonably priced. I remember having a '55 Bowman a '64 Topps wrapper - definitely did not sell then but have not seen them in a few decades. Maybe one day I'll find them flattened in a book.
    Daniel
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Any news on PSA grading wrappers?
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

<< <i>Any news on PSA grading wrappers? >>

Once they start grading wrappers, they're going to need to start grading gum. I guess all of these would get the MK qualifier :-)

Daniel
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    For future reference, '66, '74, '76

imageimageimage

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    The OP makes a good point about 1976 though. We always say that the 1974 wrappers were "re-used" for 1976, when in fact, the '76 version has a 1976 wrapper code and 1976 expiration dates. So it's more that the same style was re-used rather than the wrappers themselves, as in other cases.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 74 wrappers used in 1976 is the reason why many 76 trays are misidentified as 74 trays.

74 pack with 74 wrapper:

76 pack with 74 wrapper:

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please correct me if I'm in error on this question. I was under the impression from past posts on this board that the buying/selling of wrappers/used boxes was frowned upon by some. The reason being was the fear of people re-wrapping cards into those wrappers/boxes. Then selling to unsuspecting collectors that they were really searched/rewrapped packs. I have an empty 86 Fleer Basketball box and 3 wrappers that I am considering selling so any opinions will aid in my decision as to how one should go about liquidating same. So just what are the ethics, if any, involved here?
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Please correct me if I'm in error on this question. I was under the impression from past posts on this board that the buying/selling of wrappers/used boxes was frowned upon by some. The reason being was the fear of people re-wrapping cards into those wrappers/boxes. Then selling to unsuspecting collectors that they were really searched/rewrapped packs. I have an empty 86 Fleer Basketball box and 3 wrappers that I am considering selling so any opinions will aid in my decision as to how one should go about liquidating same. So just what are the ethics, if any, involved here? >>

I don't see anything wrong ethically with selling one or a few wrappers and an empty box. Personally, I like to purchase a wrapper or one of each variety for a given set as part of my 'complete' sets. If you want to be certain they won't be used for nefarious purposes, a sharpie mark or writing the year on the back of the wrapper should suffice.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Please correct me if I'm in error on this question. I was under the impression from past posts on this board that the buying/selling of wrappers/used boxes was frowned upon by some. The reason being was the fear of people re-wrapping cards into those wrappers/boxes. Then selling to unsuspecting collectors that they were really searched/rewrapped packs. I have an empty 86 Fleer Basketball box and 3 wrappers that I am considering selling so any opinions will aid in my decision as to how one should go about liquidating same. So just what are the ethics, if any, involved here? >>

Sell em. People collect wrappers and empty boxes.
  • Options

<< <i>The 74 wrappers used in 1976 is the reason why many 76 trays are misidentified as 74 trays.

74 pack with 74 wrapper:

76 pack with 74 wrapper:

image >>

I understand they look identical from the front, and could not be distinguished within a wax tray. My point is that the ones used in '76 are not really "'74 wrappers" as they carry a 1976 code, and where applicable, a 1976 offer expiration date.

• Options
    I think the big beef people have with selling wrappers are those that sell quantities of them with gum. Instant pack kits.
    Daniel
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The 74 wrappers used in 1976 is the reason why many 76 trays are misidentified as 74 trays.

74 pack with 74 wrapper:

76 pack with 74 wrapper:

image >>

I understand they look identical from the front, and could not be distinguished within a wax tray. My point is that the ones used in '76 are not really "'74 wrappers" as they carry a 1976 code, and where applicable, a 1976 offer expiration date.

image >>

Correct. My point had more to do with wax trays as there have been a couple of 76 trays in the past few weeks that were listed as 74 trays.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭
    Here are two varieties of 1959 wrappers I sold years ago.