Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grantland article on 1990 Skybox

fun, quick little read. Grantland had a starting lineups article a couple of weeks ago too

Skybox Article

Comments

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Fun. I'm still sitting on a box each of Series 1 and 2, that I bought in 90 thinking they were gonna be the next big thing. Ooops.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    That was great, thanks for sharing! The part about his son helping him open was too funny!
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    LOL - I would have had the same reaction with my kid too. image
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    That is awesome, I can so feel him on the reaction with his kids. I finally got my boys to open their packs carefully... but now they massacre the cards trying to put them in binder pages! They'll have to master that before they make the switch from non-sport to sports cards. Thanks for the linky.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I remember when those first came out. Wasn't there some type of error in the first series that everyone was chasing??
  • Options
    leftofdialleftofdial Posts: 442 ✭✭
    I don't know about the error, but I remember that one of the supposed big cards was the Danny Ferry one. I think it was near the end of the 1st series, if not one of the last cards. Besides Jordan, Robinson, and the all star players like Magic, Bird... Tim Hardaway was one that was going be the big ticket for the investors too.
  • Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    That was a hilarious article, and I loved the part where he changed his mind about opening up packs with his kids. I understand where he's coming from also. I have two boys ages 5 and 3. I have no intention of showing them the more valuable cards in my collection until they are much older. My dad collected stamps, and when my sister and I were kids, we found his collection and used them as stickers. He was not pleased, and I don't intend on making the same mistake.