Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1972 Topps Series 3 BB wax pack rip - This will make you cry!

So anyway ripped this '72 Topps wax pack on Memorial Day.

WARNING: the following images may be disturbing to some individuals on this board.

Sorry about the annoying glare on the cards. Could really control the lighting situation.

Let's get the gum and wax cards out of the way first. Blass took a particularly ugly gum hit. But that is not what is so disturbing.

Horace Clarke took a little gum too.

Ok no gum bleed but boy this pack is looking bad.

Ok not a great pack so far but things don't start turning truly tragic until the next card.
Nikklos

Comments

• Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭

Oh the humanity!
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Next card. At least I can add to my Al Severinsen Registry Set

Nikklos
  • Options
    Good God of all creatures great and small!!! The tears start flowing.

Nikklos
  • Options
    Pack ended up with a couple of decent cards. Motton and Mike Ryan. But hey are not all that tough.

Two legends. Two iconic cards in one pack. And I am crying the blues...
    Nikklos
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Star studded pack, Chris! Darn centering!

Last two cards look very sharp~is either a tough one?

Motton looks like the best card.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    For completists only - the tenth card

I could really use some Big Tooth around now.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Tim - just checking ebay sales of 10s, Motton and M. Ryan seem pretty easy.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing the rip (and all the other ones you do). The shame is, if you opened the pack in 1972, you'd be thrilled. Nobody noticed or cared about centering then.
    Daniel
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for sharing the rip (and all the other ones you do). The shame is, if you opened the pack in 1972, you'd be thrilled. Nobody noticed or cared about centering then. >>

At 10c a pack, centering wouldn't bother me now, either, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    No matter the centering, it is still awesome to see 2 of the all-time greats in one pack.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for sharing the rip (and all the other ones you do). The shame is, if you opened the pack in 1972, you'd be thrilled. Nobody noticed or cared about centering then. >>

At 10c a pack, centering wouldn't bother me now, either, lol.. >>

I took some harsh comments on my youtube break videos from collectors claiming I ruined all the fun by talking about the condition on every card. They said they would be happy to pull a '71 Munson and wouldn't care that it's miscut. Of course they didn't have to shell out big bucks for the pack either. image
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Gemint- sent you a PM hopefully you got it.
    Nikklos- that is a sweet checklist as well. Is there a stain on the back the reason you did not mention it being nice?
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    To be honest I was actually thrilled to pull those 2 cards in a single pack despite the condition (or should I say centering). But of course the other part of me wants them centered!

1954 - I don't have it in hand but the checklist struck me as being a little too o/c. Probably had the stain too.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Please send me the Clemente and Aaron and I will make sure that they are recycled into paper towels or tissues. Thank you.
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing! Despite the bad centering, it still has to be one hell of a rush to pull a clemente and an aaron in the same 40+ year old pack!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    ALWAYS nice when you share a RIP! Thank you.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No matter the centering, it is still awesome to see 2 of the all-time greats in one pack. >>

+1 I would actually be happy with the Clemente and Aaron in my set. Nice pulls!
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Why is this thread making me want to rip 70s wax? Ive got a 74 topps pack sitting in a drawer downstairs, and i think it is calling my name...
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422

<< <i>

<< <i>No matter the centering, it is still awesome to see 2 of the all-time greats in one pack. >>

+1 I would actually be happy with the Clemente and Aaron in my set. Nice pulls! >>

Agreed. I'll take them off your hands.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    As always, thanks for sharing. Your "bad"packs are still better than most of my good ones. And like Phillip, you always make my rippin hands start to itch. Might have to rip one more mini.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    The Clemente is sometimes found centered but the Aaron never is.
    Cool pack though
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    For a moment there I was 13 sitting on my couch at my Mom and Dads house. Thanks
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    Better to get an Aaron and Clemente (not a bad pull at all for one pack), even if they're just a teensy bit OC, than a pack of only total duds.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    "Better to get an Aaron and Clemente (not a bad pull at all for one pack), even if they're just a teensy bit OC, than a pack of only total duds."

+1
    Thanks for sharing yet another rip. I think the board needs to create an award for most entertaining threads created and I nominate you for the award.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing your rip. I just ripped my latest purchase of 89 packs. Nothing significant to remark on that but still cool to do. The anticipation of the "BIG ONE" is awesome.

Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options
    Glad you enjoyed guys! I had a nice 1973 wax rip all set to post but I left my IPad with the pics on the plane! I feel like a big dummy. Hoping it turns up.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    The grades wound up making me cry even more. Of course I wasn't expecting the stars or the moon on Clemente and Aaron. But I thought 7 or 9(oc). Motton and Mike Ryan deserve better,

3 1 24325738 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1972 Topps 299 Hank Aaron Card
    4 1 24325739 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1972 Topps 310 Roberto Clemente in Action Card
    5 1 24325740 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 Topps 393 Curt Motton Card
    6 1 24325741 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 Topps 324 Mike Ryan
    Nikklos
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The grades wound up making me cry even more. Of course I wasn't expecting the stars or the moon on Clemente and Aaron. But I thought 7 or 9(oc). Motton and Mike Ryan deserve better,

3 1 24325738 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1972 Topps 299 Hank Aaron Card
    4 1 24325739 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1972 Topps 310 Roberto Clemente in Action Card
    5 1 24325740 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 Topps 393 Curt Motton Card
    6 1 24325741 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 Topps 324 Mike Ryan >>

Thanks for sharing your grades. PSA has been very tough this year. You'd think the star cards would have been 8(OC) or 9(OC). I assume you didn't specify 'no qualifiers'?
  • Options
    Yep generally just leave the qualifier issue to them. Have subbed enough to have expected a 7 or 9(oc) on both.
    Nikklos