Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1952 Topps Eddie Mathews, which one do you like better?

If you were to choose between the higher grade card or the better centered card, which card would you choose? I'll add the additional info that the 3.5 has a small paper wrinkle, and that the cost difference between the two was around $400. Can you guess which one was the more expensive of the two?

Comments

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I like the 45 better. Nicer coloring and centering and better registration under the stars at the bottom.
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭

<< <i>45 >>

+1
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    i like the 50 but it's close. Initial look I went with the 45, but then when I look at corners that top right turned me off.

It's close though - either one would be great cards
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>45 >>

+1 >>

+2
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Huge fan of your 3.5
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    ...but by looking at your post in the may pick ups thread, is that a crease on the top right of the 45? may just be that scan as it doesn't seem in the scan above, but if it is, I might switch to the 50. if not, i'd stay w/ the 45 but may get it re-cased as the scratches (right temple, left nostril, one that may look like a crease) deter a little bit of the overall eye appeal...which this one has!

• Options
    Braves logo and centering, easy win
    Vintage Ohio St. football items, always buying, PM me with any you might want to sell.
    Also looking for 2005T FB AA, 1986T FB, 1960T FB autographed cards
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I'd take the 3.5. I think that with that centering, it presents much better than the other card. In addition, that "smudge" on the logo on the higher graded card would bother the heck out of me.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Just want to add that there's nothing wrong with the Braves logo on the 50, somehow the iPhone camera picked up a scratch on the case and made it appear to be a flaw on the card. Thanks for your opinions!
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
    The 50 because it has much better corners.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would pay more for the lower graded card, the 45. Both the registration (under the stars) and the centering make it the one I'd want to look at in my collection. I would love to own that card.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    45 all day
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

<< <i>45 all day >>

Agree!!!!
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful cards. The corners are a bit better on the 50, the centering on the 45. Those pretty much offset each other. Can't go wrong either way. That card is going to keep me from ever completing my Mathews Basic Set.

• Options
    One other thing I wanted to add: the pop report lists 588 cards graded of the Mathews rookie, compared to 1246 Mantle rookies. I doubt there are many Mathews rookies that haven't been graded, so I feel safe to assume that there are twice as many Mantles that exist today compared to Mathews. While the overwhelming majority of collectors would prefer to own the Mantle card, it seems, to me, that the Mathews is a decent deal selling for about 10% of what the Mantle currently sells for.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    The Mantle is also DP'd, while the Mathews is the last card in the set, leading to a bunch of other condition issues all those years ago
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Here's a really well centered one on eBay, too bad it's got a crease running right through the middle of the card. Still, not a bad price for a card with nice eye appeal:

link to eBay
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im all about the centering, I would take a soft corner and better centering than an off centered piece.

• Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    My OCD tells me the 45..
  • Options
    Update to this thread: I took the SGC 50 with me to Chicago, and am happy to report that it is now in a PSA 4 holder, pics next week.
  • Options
    I wanted the well centered card in a PSA holder, mission accomplished!

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    wow..congrats..looks good..
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    Well if they're both PSA 4's, I'd keep the one with better centering. Sweet card!
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would go with the 45.

Nice cards and a tough issue.

KC