Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1970 Kellogg's Population

The numbers for this set have been soaring in the last few months...to wit:

Since Feb 26th: 1,248 cards have been graded and 1002 of those got graded 9......that is a very high percentage in my mind....Sam McDowell went from 9 to 37 in PSA 9.....Luis Tiant went from 6 to 41 in PSA 9....and get these three......Oliva went from 10 to 113 in PSA 9......Jim Perry went from 13 to 119 in PSA 9....and Dean Chance went from 14 to 199 in PSA 9......a coincidence that those 3 are Twins??? Of course (I think).....I wonder why someone submitted so many of those three players, because obviously they must have many of all the other players....I guess the point is that if these numbers start appearing for all the other players in the set, the prices will come tumbling down very fast on players in this set.....I am curious why someone would have so many sets of an oddball set like this......interested to get others take on this....and maybe this is a reason Gemmy decided to sell his complete set at this time as he may see the writing on the wall also....

Comments

• theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Very interesting stats...
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Kep13, ok then why are there only 3 Joel Horlens and 4 Bill Singers in PSA 9? There are quite a few others with less than 10 in PSA 9.

I'm selling the set because I finally finished it. There's no other reason.

I'm working on other sets too, and I bought a completely graded 1970 Kellogg's PSA 8 and 9 set on Ebay five days ago.

Does that sound like I'm losing interest or I think it has topped out?
  • Kep

A few bricks of vending recently surfaced. They were not complete sets, but only a few individual cards. Someone obviously thought that these were worth spending the money to get slabbed. Not stupid money either!. There are still many cards in this set including the few mentioned by gemmintman that just aren't out there. I recently went through a vending unit that included 35 of the Horlen, which I sadly need for my own set. Not one was submittable. Of the Singers, I had 40. I submitted 2 and they are at PSA as I type.

Several of the cards are easy to get in a 9. There are also many that are virtually impossible. Welcome to the wierd world of Kelloggs.
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
    Zardoz, that explains a lot. Thanks for the information.

Kep, did you notice that the individual submission totals for Oliva (135), J. Perry (134) and Chance (130) are HIGHER than they are for Clemente (129)? It's make you stop and think, doesn't it?

BTW, your PSA 9 figures for Chance are incorrect. Better go back, and fix it.
  • Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭
    Chance.....119 in PSA 9......didn't think you would be offended by my suspicion for selling your set....sorry for that.....it just seems strange to me that all of the sudden 1000 cards show up in PSA 9....for sure I will be watching the pop report for the next few months to see what comes about....I can clearly see that there are only a handful of Singer and others, but one could say that there were only a handful of Oliva, Chance and Perry a couple months ago also....
    Kep - I wasn't really offended, but you put me into a position where I had to explain and defend why I chose to sell the set now. I found that rather odd considering that you are trying to put this set together in PSA 9 also. It would seem to me that you should have a rooting interest in the sale of my set. A good auction result for me only helps the value of your set as it nears completion. It would show the demand for completely graded Kellogg's sets in PSA 9. The bottom line is that I think you will find certain players (I won't say which ones) will have sudden large surges in their population numbers while others show only modest movement.