Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA Set Registry - Removal Request

I figured I'd post this message just to make the community aware of a developing situation which I'm sure PSA will address in the coming business days...

Over the past several (weekend) days, I've received five removal requests for a single item which I still own and have owned since 2013. The item in question was purchased from a reputable dealer and is not too rare or valuable, leading me to believe that the continuing removal requests have been sent in error. Furthermore, my card was submitted to PSA for (unsuccessful) review in 2014 (giving some degree of legitimacy to the card and holder), and I've retained supporting documents for the original purchase. Upon receipt of the removal request, I emailed Set Registry Customer Service immediately to look into the matter further. I can't say that I really understand the persistent nature of these requests at this point in time, but I am wondering if others have had similar experiences lately...

Regards,

RLR

Comments

• Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    someone probably typed in the wrong number, and sometimes the system is glitchy and it's not always clear the request went through

i'm pretty sure i hit someone up with 4 of the same removal requests once because of the glitch, and i've gotten several requests for the same card before

i don't think there's anything to worry about, they may ask you for scans of the card just to make sure you still have it
  • Options
    OcTrAdInGOcTrAdInG Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply.

The removal requests have been arriving daily, with some time having elapsed between requests.

I guess this will only get interesting if the other guy provides scans.
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    I had a removal request for a certain Dale Earnhardt Jr. card not too long ago. I just forgot about it and haven't heard anything more. I assumed it was a typo as well. However, multiple requests seem a little suspect to me. Keep us posted.
  • Options
    Will do.
  • Options
    I am curious what the card is, as I put in a removal request for something over the weekend and had a suspicion that I may have had a fake dupe. Without giving away too much, is the card a 2011 Topps of some sort?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An email is generated each time the person checks off the box after attempting to enter the cert number. Considering how often people check for poppage, it's not surprising that you'd get multiple requests even on the same day.

Considering the card is not a rare or valuable one, I would bet the person is misreading the cert on his actual card (6s can look like 8s and vice versa).

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    when i get the requests:

if the card is still in my collection, i send the email stating the card is still in my possession. i also have scans loaded on the registry so this eliminates having to send scans. most of the time this clears it up and figure it was simply a typo...only on one occasion did psa ask me to send recent proof w. dated material. was a decently valued card, guy was persistent w/ his requests, so I assume that someone else mighta purchased a fake card/slab. I inquired to psa, but was never told...

when i send the requests:

i send one per day for a couple days. if it doesn't get removed, i admit, that i will copy and paste the same cert number and blow their email up w 10 or so requests/emails. sadly, 9 outta 10 times this method works. not sure why, but i just hate the fact that someone is purposely holding a cert hostage for their set rating and that we have to send a removal request to psa, basically get someone else involved, play the waiting game, send scans, yada yada yada. but, i do give psa and their reps credit where credit is do...they handle the requests pretty consistently and usually faster than said waiting times!!
  • Options
    This is pretty common and there is almost never malicious intent involved.
  • Options
    Card is a 1952 Bowman Hutchinson PSA 8. It is included in my complete set listed in the Registry records.
  • Options
    Thanks. I feel better now. Good luck resolving the issue!
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Probably just a typo, I add cert numbers to a spreadsheet, and then copy to the PSA form. If I mistype the number in the cell, it would be a recurring error.

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Probably just a typo, I add cert numbers to a spreadsheet, and then copy to the PSA form. If I mistype the number in the cell, it would be a recurring error. >>

This is my guess also. I use this same process, so if I had a typo copying the cert # into my spreadsheet, I'd be constantly requesting the incorrect cert # to be removed.
  • Options
    Do people generally not wait three business days after the initial attempt for the removal request to be processed?

Though I may never know, I'd be anxious to find out what card produced so much anxiety over a holiday weekend. Perhaps, as was suggested, the repeated attempts are just the result of a glitch in the system. Nevertheless, this is the first time I've ever been bombarded by requests.

Thanks for all the input.
  • Options
    when's the set registry deadline for the awards? could be a guy jonesin' to get it in before then, maybe?

seems it'd be a good feature to allow some type of messaging between current holder and guy trying to add said cert....
  • Options

<< <i>when's the set registry deadline for the awards? could be a guy jonesin' to get it in before then, maybe?

seems it'd be a good feature to allow some type of messaging between current holder and guy trying to add said cert.... >>

I can certainly understand why some members would want to remain anonymous, but I do agree that the feature would be very worthwhile in a situation like this. Within the registry, I am available to be contacted, and I have no problem addressing the matter myself beyond PSA's normal operating hours.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

<< <i>when's the set registry deadline for the awards? could be a guy jonesin' to get it in before then, maybe?

seems it'd be a good feature to allow some type of messaging between current holder and guy trying to add said cert.... >>

"The deadline for this year's PSA Set Registry Awards is Friday, May 29. Any new sets or edits to existing sets must be published before 5:00 pm EST (2:00 pm PST)."
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    With the last two attempts, I am counting seven removal requests now. If anyone is trying to add cert # 50015626 to his/her set, please pm me to discuss further. Set Registry Customer Service has not yet addressed the issue, but I'm pretty confident they will once they return to work.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I've had it happen, and it turned out there was a duplicate cert number. Send in a scan of your card, if it's a dupe they'll have you send it in for verification.
    If you ignore the request your card will probably be deleted from your registry set.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    oc,

i'm currently having an issue w/ trying to add a cert, but not this one...

sorry for you troubles, but keep updating as this one seems interesting!
  • Options

<< <i>I've had it happen, and it turned out there was a duplicate cert number. Send in a scan of your card, if it's a dupe they'll have you send it in for verification.
    If you ignore the request your card will probably be deleted from your registry set. >>

Can you elaborate on this at all, for future reference? With a duplicate cert #, was the cert verification actually producing a correct result for you? Are you saying that two entirely different cards had the same cert # at some point in time?

Thanks.
  • Options
    it was a mistake in the data base, duplicate certs, and when I looked mine up (and I'm pretty sure I'd submitted the card) the cert look up was correct.
    No big deal, sent it in, they sent it back. Problem solved.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I'm betting this person is misreading one of his 6s for an 8, which is not uncommon.

They will only delete the card if he sends a copy of front and back of the card.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    My recommendation is to ignore it. It's really not a big deal. They will not delete your card.
  • Options
    they will if someone sends in a scan of the card - whether it's a mechanical error or a scam. I just find it's easier to send a scan and put it to rest, rather than have Cosetta and BJ spend a lot of time trying to sort it out.

• Options
    After speaking briefly with PSA and doing a little more research on my end, I just wanted to give a quick preliminary update on this situation...

The other member has already sent scans of his card to PSA.

The card causing so much confusion appears to be a 1952 Bowman Stallcup PSA 8 that was listed on ebay recently. Indeed, the cert # displayed in the images matches the cert # for the Hutchinson card I've owned for several years, suggesting a possible duplicate certification error, even though my card agrees to the database.

I still have to retrieve my card from the safe deposit box and send scans to PSA before a final determination can be made about what is going on...I will give a final update whenever the situation is resolved.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume the card was sold in an off ebay deal, because the most recent listing was ended due to an "error in the listing."

What's a little weird is that the auction states to have ended June 5, 2015. Time travel?

Stallcup Auction
  • Options

<< <i>I assume the card was sold in an off ebay deal, because the most recent listing was ended due to an "error in the listing."

What's a little weird is that the auction states to have ended June 5, 2015. Time travel?

Stallcup Auction >>

Thanks for posting the link. You have the correct reference point, but I didn't really look too closely at the auction itself. So long as the current owner has the card in hand, I'm comfortable we'll get this figured out soon. For what it's worth, both cards, the Hutchinson and the Stallcup, are somewhat difficult to find in high grades. That being said, I think it would be a stretch to think that someone might devote time and effort to doctoring holders/cards with nominal book value.
  • Options
    Interesting stuff. Well, I stand corrected. Definitely do not ignore it! LOL

I agree that it's doubtful someone would fake that 1952 Stallcup, though the new owner is probably not feeling great about his situation right now.
  • Options

<< <i>I assume the card was sold in an off ebay deal, because the most recent listing was ended due to an "error in the listing."

Stallcup Auction >>

That happens when a BIN auction ends prior to its scheduled end listing date.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Stallcup Auction >>

That happens when a BIN auction ends prior to its scheduled end listing date. >>

Interesting, never noticed that before!
  • Options

<< <i>I've had it happen, and it turned out there was a duplicate cert number. Send in a scan of your card, if it's a dupe they'll have you send it in for verification.
    If you ignore the request your card will probably be deleted from your registry set. >>

FINAL UPDATE:

To bring this discussion full-circle for reference purposes...

In the case outlined above, there was also a duplicate cert #. After receiving dated scans, PSA requested that I submit my card for further review (as a mechanical error, at no additional charge). In doing so, I opted to have the card re-holdered upon issuance of a new cert #. Turnaround, once logged, was less than 5 business days. No harm, no foul.