Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Scored a pretty tough 1955 Topps card

The hero of the 1954 World Series, Dusty Rhodes was honored with card #1 in the 1955 Topps set. It can be hard to find this card with decent centering and the fact that it is card #1 also hampers many examples (top of the stack, rubber bands, etc). This card is housed in a BVG holder, graded 5.5. My original intent was to crack it out as my set is ungraded except the HOFers. This card just seems too nice so it will stay in the holder for the time being.

Daniel

Comments

• Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    DANG nice card Daniel. Great job.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    very nice
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Wow! That's a nice #1. Congrats.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice card. Looks a lot better than a 5.5
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Very nice card Daniel. Presents real well for the grade.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice Dusty you got there. Congrats
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    That's just a super card nice job on the pickup..
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    great looking card....

love the look of 54 and 55 which would be my next set to build...just unable to at the moment...argh

but i digress....congrats
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys, for the comments. This is my first BVG card (like I said, I intended to crack it out). Very impressed with the solid structure of the BVG holder.
    Daniel
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    that's really a 5.5? what am I missing? i'd peg it at a PSA 6 or 7, maybe there are some surface impressions that are holding it back on the technical grade?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking card, congrats!
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

<< <i>that's really a 5.5? what am I missing? i'd peg it at a PSA 6 or 7, maybe there are some surface impressions that are holding it back on the technical grade? >>

You're missing the fact that BVG doesn't have a clue in grading vintage. Don't understand why anyone would send vintage to BVG. That is a great looking card.
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>that's really a 5.5? what am I missing? i'd peg it at a PSA 6 or 7, maybe there are some surface impressions that are holding it back on the technical grade? >>

You're missing the fact that BVG doesn't have a clue in grading vintage. Don't understand why anyone would send vintage to BVG. That is a great looking card. >>

I was under the impression that BVG was much EASIER on vintage grading than PSA, but maybe that's not right