Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Added a neat piece to my Notre Dame collection, Lou Holtz "story" 16 x 20 from Steiner

The Irish lost their QB to Florida State recently (no hard feelings from me, I wish the kid the best, he didn't leave early, he graduated and is probably making what he believes is the best decision for him, more power to him), but my sorrow was short lived image

I'm looking forward to the mailman tomorrow as he should bring me this beauty..

1925 first edition book, Coaching, the Way of the Winner, signed by the legendary Notre Dame coach Knute Rockne. Cover was tattered so the collector put it on a similar colored piece paper, but other than that, this piece looks gorgeous. Beautiful, bold fountain pen signature and inscription.

Rockne signed it to the eleventh President of the University (but left out a T in the Prez's first name image ) Book comes with a JSA auction LOA.

Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Another stellar piece!

Congrats on a great pickup and Thanks for sharing.

Jim
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    sbfinleysbfinley Posts: 357
    I've been in awe of some of the pieces you've acquired (and sold) for the better part of a decade. Another great piece, congrats! Have we taken the Bar exam yet?
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been in awe of some of the pieces you've acquired (and sold) for the better part of a decade. Another great piece, congrats! Have we taken the Bar exam yet? >>

Not yet, I won't graduate until Dec 2016 because I can only go part time because of work. I've completed 47 of 90 credits so far. Summer school starts Tuesday so I'm enjoying the last few days of having nights off. I've been out since May 11 and finding it seems that I've got all the time in the world at night now LOL. I'm ready to get back after it and knock out some more hours. I REALLY enjoy the competition provided by the younger students. It helps keep my mind sharp (at least sharp for me lol). I enjoy teaching them about life and they teach me computer stuff in exchange. It's win/win for all of us.

Mike
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Awesome piece!
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG Mike! Enjoy your last free weekend!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I've been in awe of some of the pieces you've acquired (and sold) for the better part of a decade. Another great piece, congrats! Have we taken the Bar exam yet? >>

Not yet, I won't graduate until Dec 2016 because I can only go part time because of work. I've completed 47 of 90 credits so far. Summer school starts Tuesday so I'm enjoying the last few days of having nights off. I've been out since May 11 and finding it seems that I've got all the time in the world at night now LOL. I'm ready to get back after it and knock out some more hours. I REALLY enjoy the competition provided by the younger students. It helps keep my mind sharp (at least sharp for me lol). I enjoy teaching them about life and they teach me computer stuff in exchange. It's win/win for all of us.

Mike >>

I can only imagine the exchanges with the younger students.....it would go something like this.....

YOUNG STUDENT: "So Mike, that is a great Abraham Lincoln autograph that you have in your collection."

NAVARRO: "Thanks, I like collecting presidential autographs."

YOUNG STUDENT: "Did you get the autograph through the mail, or in person?"

NAVARRO: "Huh?"

YOUNG STUDENT: "I mean, if you got that in person that would be really, really cool."

NAVARRO: " You know, I may be the oldest person in class, but Abraham Lincoln was president long before I was even born."

YOUNG STUDENT: "I just know that you are old. You go on and on about never having a cell phone during your first run in college, or that there was no internet in your college days. I just think it would have been much cooler if you got your Lincoln autograph in person because how can you really know that he signed it?"
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Mike >>

I can only imagine the exchanges with the younger students.....it would go something like this.....

YOUNG STUDENT: "So Mike, that is a great Abraham Lincoln autograph that you have in your collection."

YOUNG STUDENT: "I mean, if you got that in person that would be really, really cool."

NAVARRO: " You know, I may be the oldest person in class, but Abraham Lincoln was president long before I was even born."

YOUNG STUDENT: "I just know that you are old. You go on and on about never having a cell phone during your first run in college, or that there was no internet in your college days. I just think it would have been much cooler if you got your Lincoln autograph in person because how can you really know that he signed it?" >>

Now I feel reall old.

Great pickup.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Off the hook, Mike. Granted, a signed Rockne book is not quite as impressive as, say, a pair of game-used underwear from Bump Wills, but it's yet another acquisition of yours that exceeds the minimal standard of satisfaction.
  • Options

<< <i>

YOUNG STUDENT: "I just know that you are old. You go on and on about never having a cell phone during your first run in college, or that there was no internet in your college days. I just think it would have been much cooler if you got your Lincoln autograph in person because how can you really know that he signed it?" >>

Rob,

that made me smile as we occasionally have some that are eerily similar to that image

Mike
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Rob ... LOVE IT! Holy Sh!t, if they say that to Mike can you imagine what they would say to me? "Hey Doug, that Jesus, Mary & Joseph IN PERSON triple signed IC is even better than the signed Bird, Magic & Erving card I have!!!"
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Picked up another Notre Dame coaching legend. Saw these on Steiner's site and made them a fair offer. Just came in a couple of days ago. It's from their "story" line of photos. The whole inscription and signature is done by Lou. One of the neatest pieces I've seen on Holtz.