Home Stamps Forum

Any COLLECTORS LIKE GRADED STAMPS?

I have a few more to show you! The greatest think about 98 graded stamps is that there are not that many out there! Enjoy!!

imageimage
Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
MACAU
emgworldwide@gmail.com
Cell: 512.808.3197
EMERGING MARKET GROUP
PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer

Comments

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does the grading scale for stamps work? Coins are 01-70, not sure what "Superb 98" signifies for stamps.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• gsalexgsalex Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    I'm not very fond of slabbing coins and paper money, but I can understand the justification for it. But I consider graded stamps quite ridiculous. Certification is one thing, to determine authenticity, but even that does not require the stamp to be sealed in plastic. Once in a slab the stamp is not practical, as it cannot be easily presented in an album or an exhibit.

Grading companies will always seek new products where they can apply their services. But, in my opinion, it makes no sense at all with stamps.
    Intrigued by all things intaglio.
  • callawayc7callawayc7 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭

I'm mainly a coin collector but I do dabble in stamps and I think for expensive stamps, slabs do make sense. Besides the authentication, it also protects it. And I think that would increase the number of stamp collectors (and I know also the dreaded investors). Some might say it's bad for the hobby, but sorry to break it to you, stamp collecting is pretty much dead. I don't see anything that can make it worse. And In my opinion, slabs have been great for the coin hobby.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never seen a slabbed stamp in person. This strikes me as odd since they have now been around for many years.

All glory is fleeting.
  • oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

I am a big fan for two reason:

1 The slap protects the stamp.

2 The difference between a ognh 85 and 90 is slight but the price is not.

Would you ever buy an house or a piece of land without an appraisal? I wound not and the grading entity sells the stamp to you for what they say is a given grade. Not a good way to do business, especially if you plan to sell or trade the stamp.

All I collect are U.S. airmails C-1 trough C-6 and the Zeps for now all are ognh 90 or 95 and I have never touched one of them.

After that I would like to get a $4 and $5 Colombia oglh and a few Trans Miss.

A graded stamp is more liquid and I know what I am getting when I buy them. I am more into coins but a few nice U.S. stamps is nice.

• Several years ago, I had some US C3 1918 Curtiss Jenny airmail stamps graded. Purchased them at good prices on eBay. 2018 is 1 year away....I was feeling nostalgic when I purchased those stamps being that a 100 year anniversary only comes once.

• oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

The only stamps I buy are ognh 90 or better if a 95 is reasonable. I would not buy a stamp that is not graded as dealers often disagree with the TPG. Not saying they are all dishonest but if I am paying a fair sum for a stamp I want a reputable third party to grade it. Takes all the risk of over grade out of the equation.