Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1986/87 Fleer basketball from my childhood collection. (UPDATE: PSA submission results 10-1-15)

I remember ripping some packs back in 1986, but could not remember what happened to them. While going through some storage boxes today, I ran into the cards. I decided to post some scans of some of the better centered ones and was hoping that some of the basketball guys could evaluate the scans and tell me if I have some worthy of subbing. I am not a collector of basketball cards, but this issue looks fun and I know it is popular. The second Olajuwan sticker has a clean back. The Jordan sticker has wax on the back, and it appears that I handled it a little more back in the day. I am also posting a 1988 Fleer Jordan. Please chime in and give me advice and critiques. Here are the scan.

Comments

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Holy Fun Find JMac!

I haven't subbed 86 but at least you got some keys.

As for the 88, I sent in what I thought was a blazer and got a 9.

Good luck and great find.

Jim

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Makes sense to sub almost all of those....or let me take them off your hands image Especially the Barkley, Ewing, and Moore.
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    Great looking Barkley! Chance at a 9 there imo
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭
    What a special find. Like you, I'm not a Basketball collector, but can appreciate how awesome this is to find. Wish I could help you on grading opinions.

I need to take a PSA grading 101 class.
    Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Your cards / your rules, but if I were in your shoes (fortunate enough to open '86 basketball as a kid and still have them in 2015), I'd sub them all and hold onto them.

Thanks for sharing!
  • Options

<< <i>Your cards / your rules, but if I were in your shoes (fortunate enough to open '86 basketball as a kid and still have them in 2015), I'd sub them all and hold onto them.

Thanks for sharing! >>

Mostly this. But I'd only hold a few sentimental keys (since it's not your focus) and sell the rest to use towards more cool Reds stuff.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    John,

Fantastic find. Congrats! This is right up my alley as a hoops guy. You were a smart kid as you managed to preserve the two best (non Jordan) cards in the lot. The Barkley and Ewing look very sharp based on the scans. Depending on the grader I think you are looking at either an 8, 8.5 or 9 on the Barkley. Tough to say without having the cards in hand. I think the Ewing has a real shot at a 9 with a worse case scenario of an 8 or 8.5 (again depending on the grader). I would also sub the Isiah (most likely an 8). Given the recent appreciation I would actually think about subbing the Olajuwon sticker as a 9 becomes a $50 card and an 8 gets your fees back plus some. I would also sub the Sampson since it is technically a HOF RC. Again a 9 puts you probably in the $30 range these days and an 8 more than pays for your troubles, so definitely worth the risk. I would probably not sub the 88 Jordan as I don't think it has much shot at anything better than an 8. I don't collect 88's though and haven't subbed them so I don't necessarily speak from experience on that one. I don't know what 88 Jordan's go for but my guess is that 7's and 8's probably aren't worth subbing.

Congrats again, good luck and post scans of the ones you decide to grade.
    Steve
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya John

Don't collect Bkb - tho I do have some.

The Barkley looks pretty good on my screen.

If you sub? Best of luck.

A 9 on the Charles will be a nice get!
    Mike
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    OP--Be sure to read this thread

Link
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    Awesome find

As someone who has bought and sold a TON of these in the past year, I think most of yours are looking at 8s.

If there is any touch on the corners, there's no shot at a 9. I think the Ewing is te best looking of the key cards.

I would probably sub the Ewing and Barkley, that's it. I might also sub the Jordan sticker.

I would not sub the Olajuwon stickers, they're both diamond cuts and have no shot at 9s imo.

Great discovery!
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have graded tons of these over the years and based on the scan I would sub the Barkley, Ewing and Natt. All look like solid 9 candidates with worst case 8's. I would also sub the Jordan Sticker since those sell better graded.

Great find of the most iconic basketball set of all time. Thanks for sharing the scans!
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Guys, thanks so much for checking out my scans and giving me some advice. I will sub the big guys for sure and see what happens. The best part of the find is it took me back to the memories of me being 14 and ripping those packs in my room. Good times.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

<< <i>Guys, thanks so much for checking out my scans and giving me some advice. I will sub the big guys for sure and see what happens. The best part of the find is it took me back to the memories of me being 14 and ripping those packs in my room. Good times. >>

Then i have to ask, why would you sell any of them?

i would slab all of them, if for nothing else, the sake of having them slabbed and protected. One cannot put a price on memories.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff! These are all from packs I opened back in '86. If only I hadn't stopped buying these cards once I finished the set. Doh!

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    Those are the actual cards from your childhood!! I still have a few of my actual cards and they look like they lost the fightimage

I echo the Idea of grading them all for protection purposes and packing them back up for another 20+ years! Would make a
    great story for the grandkidsimage
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    In relation, i bought a few unopened packs like 5+ years ago. At first thought, keep them that way, but i couldn't resist the urge to open them, so then i did.
    They are very nice cards, needless to say no MJ to be found. Some had gum stains and some stuck to one another. So i took 2 cards to send to Beckett back then. I remember to this day, it was the Worthy, and the #132 checklist, in hopes of 10's. Well things turned out a bummber...the package never made it there.
    Later on i bought a whole unopened box of 81-82 topps. Talking like x-mas day all over. I found many larry birds cards. I had them all graded by sgc this time. Many come back 8-9.5s
    The rest of the 86 and 81-82 i stored away in binders.
    I am not a huge basketball fan, but i remember the greats like MJ, Bird, Magic and Barkely. I consider myself more a football/baseball collector nowadays. Collecting my all time Hof guys.

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    I decided to sub 5 cards from my childhood collection and here are the results:

48 MINT 9 1986 Fleer 7 Charles Barkley Card
    49 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1986 Fleer 32 Patrick Ewing Card
    50 NEAR MINT 7 1986 Fleer 76 Johnny Moore Card
    51 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1986 Fleer 109 Isiah Thomas Card
    52 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1986 Fleer 97 Ralph Sampson Card

I will post scans when I get them back next week.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Nice Barkley 9 John!

Congrats
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    Nice hit on the Barkley, John. I thought the Ewing looked just as nice.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the grades. If you could pick one of those cards to get a 9, that would be the one. Very nice cards all around, I would say you got pretty fair grades overall.
    Steve
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Nice hit on the Barkley! The Ewing must have something we can't see in the scans because it looks nicer than my 9.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice hit on the Barkley, John. I thought the Ewing looked just as nice. >>

Same here. Congrats!
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the Barkley, that's a nice one!
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball