Home Sports Talk

hey MLB...Im trying to stay a fan...ur making it impossible.....Kersh vs Bumgarn part II

seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
so u have Kershaw vs Bumgarner part 2.......and again still not on espn, mlb fox etc..arguably among the two best in a generation..

....then Bumgarner hits a HR off of Kershaw...cmon man...first pitcher to hit a HR off of him

...also first time a WS MVP hits a HR off a a reigning MVP....EVER in history...

MLB...im trying to stay a fan

interesting...when no fans for the game in baltimore...the game time was just over 2 hrs vs the usual 3 hrs
Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image

Comments

• PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭
    Is it just me or is there a lot less national MLB today compared to years past if don't get MLB network (which I don't). Now that TBS doesn't have the Braves anymore and they don;'t have that Sunday afternoon game like the past several years.

In fact, I get WGN and there are times games are advertised as on WGN but I never get those games, always "In The Heat Of The Night" reruns or some bad movie. Does this happen for anyone else.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    ESPN exec: "Kershaw? Bumgarner? Hmm, those names aren't on the 40 man rosters of the Red Sox or the Yankees..... they must be in one of their farm clubs."
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it just me or is there a lot less national MLB today compared to years past if don't get MLB network (which I don't). Now that TBS doesn't have the Braves anymore and they don;'t have that Sunday afternoon game like the past several years.

In fact, I get WGN and there are times games are advertised as on WGN but I never get those games, always "In The Heat Of The Night" reruns or some bad movie. Does this happen for anyone else. >>

I don't think it's just you, I think there are fewer ballgames on the "free" networks or the basic-cable type networks like ESPN. Same here, we don't have the top-tier digital package with Verizon Fios, more of a mid-tier level. We would have to get top tier level to get MLB Network, NFL Network, etc. I didn't even realize TBS was no longer broadcasting Braves games; how lame!

Here's a double whammy for you: paying for a network you don't even get. We have MASN - Mid Atlantic Sports Network, and they broadcast Orioles and Nationals games regionally. I noticed there is a separate MASN fee on my cable bill, and wondered if everyone is paying that fee whether or not they even get MASN. I wondered this because on the bill, the fee is broken out from the cable package, like you'd see for one of those "universal service" type fees, or local taxes, etc. Anyway, I verified with a woman I work with, who knows for sure she doesn't get MASN, yet the MASN fee is also on her Verizon Fios bill.

• << <i>ESPN exec: "Kershaw? Bumgarner? Hmm, those names aren't on the 40 man rosters of the Red Sox or the Yankees..... they must be in one of their farm clubs." >>

Don't forget about the Cardinals. Seems they're on ESPN Sunday night every other weekend. Thought about complaining to ESPN about the fact that there are teams in MLB other than the Red Sox, Yankees and Cardinals.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it just me or is there a lot less national MLB today compared to years past if don't get MLB network (which I don't). Now that TBS doesn't have the Braves anymore and they don;'t have that Sunday afternoon game like the past several years.

In fact, I get WGN and there are times games are advertised as on WGN but I never get those games, always "In The Heat Of The Night" reruns or some bad movie. Does this happen for anyone else. >>

Regarding WGN, I believe there are actually two WGNs; WGN-Chicago, and WGN-National. Most Cubs games are probably carried on WGN-Chicago, and not on WGN-National.

Steve
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ESPN exec: "Kershaw? Bumgarner? Hmm, those names aren't on the 40 man rosters of the Red Sox or the Yankees..... they must be in one of their farm clubs." >>

Exactly!

• seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    ha..funny and true
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Sorry guys but i am a strict Red Sox fan and subscribe to NESN and the MLB package and I get every one of my games broadcast. It may cost me a little more to do it that way but I don't miss even one game a year. I watch ONLY the Red Sox games.
  • lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Regarding WGN, I believe there are actually two WGNs; WGN-Chicago, and WGN-National. Most Cubs games are probably carried on WGN-Chicago, and not on WGN-National.

Steve >>

yup, it's WGN-9 for locals and WGN National for the rest of the country. Non locals do not get those games anymore. It's the same with WGN's Blackhawks coverage which is even more locally isolated than the Cubs games. WGN-9 is only carrying 40 Cubs games this year anyway with local ABC-7 taking 24 games and CSN Chicago broadcasting 87 games.

Some of you are way late to the party. Baseball went regional 10 years ago.

FWIW, that Giants/Dodgers game was on MLBN. If you can't get MLBN on your service it's time to switch services or get the MLB package or even just MLB.TV for your laptop/CPU/tablet device. $115 for a year. Should be around $85-90 for the rest of this season.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The games are too damn long and too boring. Viewers migrated to less dismal programming. Maybe the stations are just trying to aim at the major markets but that just reinforces the problem by alienating fans of other teams.

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Baseball needs to make a lot of changes but won't. They are going to go the way of the typewriter here in another
    10 years or so if they don't start accepting change. I say go to a 7 inning game and that would bring a ton of
    excitement back into the game. Shorten rosters to make up for the revenue loss. Build newer stadiums smaller
    and near colleges. Get them hooked young. Shorten schedule to about 135 games. It's unecessary for them to be playing
    in the month of October. Make the games mean something! Get rid of the leagues and make it top to bottom type format.
    The best make it to the playoffs and the rest watch. Lower the mound so there is more hitting which equals more excitement.
    Add the DH..
    And so on and so on...
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>Baseball needs to make a lot of changes but won't. They are going to go the way of the typewriter here in another
    10 years or so if they don't start accepting change. I say go to a 7 inning game and that would bring a ton of
    excitement back into the game. Shorten rosters to make up for the revenue loss. Build newer stadiums smaller
    and near colleges. Get them hooked young. Shorten schedule to about 135 games. It's unecessary for them to be playing
    in the month of October. Make the games mean something! Get rid of the leagues and make it top to bottom type format.
    The best make it to the playoffs and the rest watch. Lower the mound so there is more hitting which equals more excitement.
    Add the DH..
    And so on and so on... <<<

Why not shortin the base paths to 40 feet.....bring the walls in 30 feet......change to 2 outs per inning and use a softball instead of a baseball!

Good grief....lets just change everything!
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I say go to a 7 inning game and that would bring a ton of excitement back into the game. >>

I understand that time is a huge factor but I don't see them ever budging from 9I (for stat continuity).

<< <i>Shorten rosters to make up for the revenue loss. >>

Don't think that would happen because of #1.

<< <i>Build newer stadiums smaller and near colleges. Get them hooked young. >>

Nice idea and I agree, but land/zoning is always hard to work around.

<< <i>Shorten schedule to about 135 games. It's unecessary for them to be playing in the month of October. Make the games mean something! >>

Possibly, they are talking about it. (another stat issue)

<< <i>Get rid of the leagues and make it top to bottom type format. The best make it to the playoffs and the rest watch. >>

Not sure the owners would agree. I think they like regional flights/divisions.

<< <i>Lower the mound so there is more hitting which equals more excitement. >>

Hitters just need to be better. Parks are too small as it is.

<< <i>Add the DH.. >>

Not sure that will ever change while I'm alive.

I could be wrong but I think MLB likes history, stats and records too much to deviate from 9I/162G
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A main reason baseball is as fascinating as it is for those who appreciate the game is the tradition the game is steeped in~there are so many other things in society being constantly changed or modified to appease special interests or in the name of progress. The game of baseball is fine just the way it is. I for one wouldn't want it to be perverted into a totally different game because the average attention span of some fans is the size of a flea.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No changes will, or should ever be made to the game as it is today...maybe a consideration as to the DH rule for both NL and AL...IMO it should be consistent. As for changes to ballparks, unless there are structural issues, leave them alone...Fenway Park is a case in point...if you've been there you understand, if you haven't, you should make it a point to see at least one game there. Perhaps the ideal game to see would be a Yankees-Red Sox on a Friday night...one caveat, if you're a Yankee fan, you might want to tone it down a bit and just low key the adventure and enjoy the moment. BTW, make it a point to get a seat down the left field side, or about half way up the right field side, that late afternoon sun will kill you for about 3+ innings. Of course if you can score Monster seats, you will have reached baseball viewing nirvana.

If I had the power, I would ban for life those who have violated established MLB rules. Foremost would be PEDs. If you are found to be a PED user and there is proof positive, you are toast. No appeal, no second chance, nada. PED users are nothing but cheaters, no more, no less. I would also eradicate their stats, like they never existed. If you gamble on games while in any uniform...you are toast. Surely the players know the rules.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No changes will, or should ever be made to the game as it is today...maybe a consideration as to the DH rule for both NL and AL...IMO it should be consistent. As for changes to ballparks, unless there are structural issues, leave them alone...Fenway Park is a case in point...if you've been there you understand, if you haven't, you should make it a point to see at least one game there. Perhaps the ideal game to see would be a Yankees-Red Sox on a Friday night...one caveat, if you're a Yankee fan, you might want to tone it down a bit and just low key the adventure and enjoy the moment. BTW, make it a point to get a seat down the left field side, or about half way up the right field side, that late afternoon sun will kill you for about 3+ innings. Of course if you can score Monster seats, you will have reached baseball viewing nirvana.

If I had the power, I would ban for life those who have violated established MLB rules. Foremost would be PEDs. If you are found to be a PED user and there is proof positive, you are toast. No appeal, no second chance, nada. PED users are nothing but cheaters, no more, no less. I would also eradicate their stats, like they never existed. If you gamble on games while in any uniform...you are toast. Surely the players know the rules. >>

They need to pick up the pace of the game or its going to die. Get the pitch clock up and running . Make the slug pitchers (Buckholz) throw and make the slug hitters ( Ortiz ) hit . I don't have 4 and a half hours to spare , I have a remote control in my hand I will find something else to watch.
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A main reason baseball is as fascinating as it is for those who appreciate the game is the tradition the game is steeped in~there are so many other things in society being constantly changed or modified to appease special interests or in the name of progress. The game of baseball is fine just the way it is. I for one wouldn't want it to be perverted into a totally different game because the average attention span of some fans is the size of a flea. >>

Great comment, Tim! Love it!