Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Uncommon Baseball Card Boxes from Mid 1980s

Not expecting much insight here as I don't think there's a good solution, but I have the need for several empty boxes for not terribly common issues, such as:

1982 Donruss and Fleer racks
1983 Donruss and Fleer Racks

Anyone familiar with a good resource? Are the big consignment guys a source? Ebay has not been a very productive solution.

Thanks as always!
Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too

Comments

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I think Donruss only did Rack Cases. Not sure on Fleer or if they did racks.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭
    For these years the standard boxes exist.

The donruss racks I have for 1982/1983 are the ones with with 3 wax packs per rack (as opposed to traditional racks with loose cards showing in each cell). I actually have a full box in a rack box for 82 (the box looks like an oversized wax box). And I have seen full 83s for sale too on ebay. 1982 /1983 Fleer were both sold in boxes too, though I only have loose racks of those. Fleer also sold a Jumbo Rack in 83 (3 traditional cello packs in each rack). I have a full box of those too, but quite a bit of the loose racks.

I basically need all of these boxes.

I do know that Donruss went to the 72ct rack boxes starting in as early as 1985 (I bought a partial box fairly recently).

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Correct, Donruss did do the wax pack racks and the racks with cards showing...

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    Can you share a picture of the 82 Rack Box? Would love to see it. I've seen no shortage of these packs, but have never seen a box.

I also have the grocery wax racks for 82 and 83 and had messaged Steve inquiring about a box for them. That's when I was to first understand that Donruss only did rack cases of 72 packs, but I wasn't specific about a year for the box and it sounds like maybe they did have a box form for at least 82.
  • Options
    Just saw an 83 box on eBay. Cool.

Good luck on the quest.
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Correct, Donruss did do the wax pack racks and the racks with cards showing... >>

83 was the first year they made traditional racks, wasn't it? Or are there 82s also?
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    amazing to me how much of a premium very specific collectors pay for the form factor. I have several wax boxes and the pack unit cost for BBCE boxes is 30% less than this box.

I'm really pleased with this example though. All perforations intact and seemed as it was never opened.
  • Options
    Thanks for the pic. Cool box. The 83 would make a cool pairing for your 82, but man the premium is tough.

All the best in the search for the empties.
  • Options
    Thanks! Cannot express how cool it is to have any appreciation for any aspect of my collection. I essentially live in a box with no one to appreciate this stuff.