Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Wax Box versus Cello Box

I recently purchase some unopened late 1970s and early 1980s boxes and was wondering if the number of cards in a specific years cello box was roughly the same as the number of cards in that same year's wax box. Additionally, as a rule of thumb, are the wax boxes more valuable than the cello boxes or just the opposite. Thank you in advance for everyone's thoughts and expertise.

Regards,

David

Comments

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Cello usually has more cards, but usually sell for less than wax in years 78-80. Pretty close in price post-80... usually a little more pre-78 (simply because they're harder to find). Collectors tend to like wax better for displaying and for those same years, the consensus is that wax will contain sharper corners (the cellos were tightly wrapped back then). Hope that helps!
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    I think it depends on a number of variables. Cellos allow you to see the top and bottom card; having a big name on the front or back can add to the value (front generally more valuable). However, with cellos, one can potentially make an educated guess on card runs meaning they can to some degree be cherry picked (assuming one were to open them). If you are looking for gradeable cards, wax would generally be the better bet as cellos can be wrapped tight and damage corners. In the end, it really depends on what your goals and objectives are.

Matt
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    i asked this a while back and got the consensus that as far as pulling better cards it was: rack, wax/vending, cello.

the consensus was right!