Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

They just Picked up my 5 day Club Special ..., Now the waiting begins..

I have no patience .. I'll check it 20 times a day till it pops.
Anybody as bad as me?

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have no patience .. I'll check it 20 times a day till it pops.
    Anybody as bad as me? >>

If it is the platinum membership renewal it is an estimated 7 day turn around time once logged.

• Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collectors Club Special #3:

-$18.00 per Card – No Card Minimum Quantity Required
    -For All Years, cards valued under $500 each
    -Sport and non-sport cards
    -Regular size, thick/patch, Coins/Pins, Supersized, and Tallboy cards are accepted
    -Excluding T3's, and Autographed Cards
    -For Collectors Club members only
    -Turnaround time approximately 5 business days/varies with demand
    -Click here for Full Details!
  • Options

<< <i>Collectors Club Special #3:

-$18.00 per Card – No Card Minimum Quantity Required
    -For All Years, cards valued under $500 each
    -Sport and non-sport cards
    -Regular size, thick/patch, Coins/Pins, Supersized, and Tallboy cards are accepted
    -Excluding T3's, and Autographed Cards
    -For Collectors Club members only
    -Turnaround time approximately 5 business days/varies with demand
    -Click here for Full Details! >>

Nice. Good luck on the grades. And yes I am as bad as you. image
  • Options
    If you spent $18 per card on the ones from the sets you just bought, you just wasted about $17 a card.
  • Options

<< <i>If you spent $18 per card on the ones from the sets you just bought, you just wasted about $17 a card. >>

Wow, That's a bit harsh. I guess the addage of "it's better for people to think your an idiot then to open your mouth and remove all doubt" fits here.

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you spent $18 per card on the ones from the sets you just bought, you just wasted about $17 a card. >>

Wow, That's a bit harsh. I guess the addage of "it's better for people to think your an idiot then to open your mouth and remove all doubt" fits here. >>

Very Well said RedRomad275. ty

And timpatg, I'm going to bet PSA isn't liking that comment to much anyway.

Btw sportsmoderator at the top here is a personal friend of mine...just saying...
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Wow, That's a bit harsh. I guess the addage of "it's better for people to think your an idiot then to open your mouth and remove all doubt" fits here. >>

Very Well said RedRomad275. ty

And timpatg, I'm going to bet PSA isn't liking that comment to much anyway.

Btw sportsmoderator at the top here is a personal friend of mine...just saying... >>

While not nice, I don't see anything wrong with his post. He didn't disparage you, didn't disparage PSA, he said that you probably shouldn't of spent $18 per card.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Very Well said RedRomad275. ty And timpatg, I'm going to bet PSA isn't liking that comment to much anyway. Btw sportsmoderator at the top here is a personal friend of mine...just saying... >>

While not nice, I don't see anything wrong with his post. He didn't disparage you, didn't disparage PSA, he said that you probably shouldn't of spent $18 per card. >>

Seriously, First it breaks number 1 rule in posting, two he's talking out his butt ( because people I trust and believe basically backed that up), and three giving an honest opinion, and belittling everything I do is a different story. As for number if I wanted I could get him banned. I'm not that petty. Honest different opinions are welcomed. Dumb ash remarks are uncalled for PERIOD. But if you don't see anything wrong with his post. I guess that's you opinion. Which I believe you may be in the minority. This should be a friendly and information forum, and for the most part it is. Rant over...
  • Options

<< <i>

You're*
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Very Well said RedRomad275. ty And timpatg, I'm going to bet PSA isn't liking that comment to much anyway. Btw sportsmoderator at the top here is a personal friend of mine...just saying... >>

While not nice, I don't see anything wrong with his post. He didn't disparage you, didn't disparage PSA, he said that you probably shouldn't of spent $18 per card. >>

Seriously, First it breaks number 1 rule in posting, two he's talking out his butt ( because people I trust and believe basically backed that up), and three giving an honest opinion, and belittling everything I do is a different story. As for number if I wanted I could get him banned. I'm not that petty. Honest different opinions are welcomed. Dumb ash remarks are uncalled for PERIOD. But if you don't see anything wrong with his post. I guess that's you opinion. Which I believe you may be in the minority. This should be a friendly and information forum, and for the most part it is. Rant over... >>

so the only honest opinions you want are the ones that shine you in a good light not the ones you don't agree with.

Commissions

• Options
    Nothing about my comment was directed at PSA. If you are referring to the cards you posted from the sets, I didn't see any other than the key rookies that would even sell for $18 or more after grading with the exception of the obvious ones like Mantle and Mays.
  • Options
    No people who give honest opinions are fine, and those I disagree with I respect anyway.
    people whom put down you stuff with little substance behind it I dislike.
    when they tend to do it a lot it's uncalled for.
    people agree to disagree, but timpatg, is just plain trying to stir up stuff.

PSA will have the last word in the grade disagreement.

But as far as timpatg I'm not sure which end his statement come from.
    He or she, will never be considered by me a honest and or friendly person.
    thank god most here are.
    I'm a amateur grader, but I wasn't born blind.
  • Options
    sportscardstopsportscardstop Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    I personally wouldn't make a comment like that. It's your money to spend. Plus there could be reasons why you felt the $18 was worth it.

Maybe he sent in 5 -10 cards just to get an idea of how PSA is grading right now. And maybe he has 250 plus cards ready to go if the grades come back what he expects, and he needs the results before the May Special ends. If that's the case, its probably worth spending $18 on 5 cards to get an idea.

Or it could just be that he doesn't mind spending $18 to get his results faster. He could be grading them for his personal collection and not selling. So cost doesn't matter to him.

Either way, I don't think anyone should comment on how someone else spends his money. Unless he asks if it was worth it.
  • Options

<< <i>No people who give honest opinions are fine, and those I disagree with I respect anyway.

thank god most here are.
    I'm a amateur grader, but I wasn't born blind. >>

I dont see a grade disagreement, I am sensing there is more to this than this thread.

Commissions

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No people who give honest opinions are fine, and those I disagree with I respect anyway.

thank god most here are.
    I'm a amateur grader, but I wasn't born blind. >>

I dont see a grade disagreement, I am sensing there is more to this than this thread. >>

BINGO LOL
  • Options
    Judging by the pics on the other thread, I am guessing you own a pawn shop which would mean you bought the cards to turn a profit. If that's true, you wasted a lot of the potential profit on grading fees. The only centered star, rookie or HOFer cards I see are the 66 Aaron and the 68 Mathews. The Mathews even in an 8 barely would eek out a profit. There are quite a few that you showed that I would sub on the cheapest monthly special possible but none that would warrant an $18 a card fee. Like I said in the other thread, almost all of the key cards are OC or tilted which means the sets were cherry picked. I find it ironic and kind of funny that you admit that you are a novice at grading but want to argue with many of those that have been grading cards for well over a decade.

I wish you the best with your sub.
  • Options
    DanBessetteDanBessette Posts: 6,422
  • Options
    Generally when cards are subbed under a 5 day turnaround at $18 there is the expectation that you are going to be sending in cards that are at the $500 max level or a hot rookie that needs to be graded and sold quickly.

Perhaps the words were a bit harsh but the message was essentially that if you are paying $18 plus shipping a pop your profit scenario can evaporate quickly and perhaps turn into losses.

I feel like the moderator has done a tremendous job of keeping the peace here but I personally would prefer that board members don't attempt to hold a personal relationship over others heads. She can handle whatever comes her way in a professional manner without someone informing us that they are on a very friendly basis.

If you are a novice in the grading department I would suggest sending cards in under a cheaper special to get more acclimated with the grading process. I think PSA in general would agree because my belief is they are looking for long term clients and while you may spend more in the short run and generate more profit for them, the goal is to keep you as a paying customer and over time they will benefit.

I think I can speak for most around here that in general we are all pulling for each other to do well with their collections. Most advice is meant to protect and benefit board members and don't let what you perceive to be harsh words scare you off from posting and relying on others opinions. I am only five plus years into the card grading game with my own submissions and there are plenty of others on here that have drastically more experience that you can learn from and I would suggest taking all remarks with a grain of salt and attempting to use them to your advantage.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I didn't really get a good look at the cards in the thread but there was some solid advice from collectors I consider to be expert graders (or pretty darn close). I'm not very good at grading, especially without seeing the card in person, so I can't really give much of an opinion on that.

I think the comment made about a waste was harsh and could have been reserved. I'm "wasting" money on a graded set where the cards are worth pennies. If someone says, "Hey Mullins, I think you're wasting your money...and here is why...." I am thankful for the advice and grateful that there are people looking out for me as a novice collector. Their comment gives me an opportunity to fix a potential issue. The comment made to the OP, while it may be truthful (I have no idea), offers the OP no advice to help fix the problem now that the cards are on their way to be graded.

Smitty, I am confident PSA will get you accurate results and I hope they are what you are hoping for.

<< <i>Seriously, First it breaks number 1 rule in posting, two he's talking out his butt ( because people I trust and believe basically backed that up), and three giving an honest opinion, and belittling everything I do is a different story. As for number if I wanted I could get him banned. I'm not that petty. Honest different opinions are welcomed. Dumb ash remarks are uncalled for PERIOD. But if you don't see anything wrong with his post. I guess that's you opinion. Which I believe you may be in the minority. This should be a friendly and information forum, and for the most part it is. Rant over... >>

Just some advice, definitely don't have to take it, but I'll offer it here for anyone reading. If there are problems, just send the Mod a friendly email. They'll look into it unbiased and professionally. When someone posts passive aggressive comments about people breaking rules and getting banned it just sucks the life out of the place. Makes people tip-toe and reserve commenting on discussions.

Example: I had a member contact me and tell me that they "know the right people to get [members] banned, if I just say the word" and when these "right people" asked this member for names, they said that they told them to "hold off for now." After hearing that I feel that I have to tiptoe around and ignore this member. It's especially disheartening when they publicly call for me to be banned for life. Since this person can "just say the word" and have me banned, I can't help put feel their comments threatening in nature.

Again, Smitty, best of luck with those grades! And, I'm like you....keeping my eyes peeled to the screen for poppage image
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    while I think something has transpired behind the scenes here between op and cowface that others are not aware of, I don't necessarily think his comments were completely outta line.

society is too sugar coated these days. the blunt truth saves time, but thick skin helps.

and kinda lost me on the buddy, buddy comment w/ board moderator...

i do wish ya the best on your grading results though...they do have nice eye appeal. just remember all 6, 7 and 9s are not the same!

and still waitng on that 68 #177 to be posted!
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Smittys the sets you bought like suck and look like 1s and like 2s. Since I feel for ya I would be happy to pay for the shipping for you to send them my way and I can dispose of them properly. image

Hope you get some high grades sir, those cards looked really nice and I can't wait to see the grades on what you sent in.

Tim for some reason you seem really familiar, can you tell us what prior board names / alias you have used in the past??
  • Options
    Dr. Dpeck is dropping some serious wisdom in this thread. Bravo.
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭
    timpatg is simply a jerk. The whole hard truths defense is a poor shield for someone to take pot shots at another poster.

Here are some of timpatg's comments:
    "Looks like you bought some sets that were cherry picked for gradeable cards and you get the rest with hole fillers. "
    "The point was that I have yet to see a card posted that would grade over a 6 which makes the value of grading a waste of money. So like I said, someone picked through the sets for gradeable cards and filled in the holes with off grade hole fillers."
    "Mathews and Hunter are trimmed. I could have done a better job"
    "That I could have done a better trimming job? Sure "
    "If you spent $18 per card on the ones from the sets you just bought, you just wasted about $17 a card. "

People on this forum are always lamenting the content on these boards as fewer and fewer people post pickups, cool finds, etc. Well all it takes is one poster telling someone what an idiot they are to taint the entire process for the original poster. When you are sharing something you are excited about to a bunch of fellow collectors you shouldn't have to develop thicker skin. That said when you ask for grading opinions in another thread you should be ready for some constructive criticism. If Smittys wants to spend a little too much getting his cards graded that is certainly his right, there certainly isn't any need for timpatg's comments nor do the ones above provide any real value. I know if I was Smittys I would simply be done with sharing any further about my find with the board.

Personally I think they look like nice cards in the NM range for the most part. There should be some gems and some duds throughout.

Robb
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Good luck with the grades. Too many harsh words...its your money. If you want a fast turnaround on your grades, you paid the correct amount.
  • Options

<< <i>Good luck with the grades. Too many harsh words...its your money. If you want a fast turnaround on your grades, you paid the correct amount. >>

Bingo!

I may have gotten this conversation spun up so I will weigh in again. My thought is that if someone wants to spend their money on getting cards graded, that is their choice, foolish or smart. In regards to the "world is too sugar coated, there is relevance to that but my thought would be to back up why someone would make the statement that the OP was wasting his money. I saw the comment as the equivalent to sticking out your tongue at someone. Childish and juvenile. Which is backed up by the response to my statement by correcting my grammar. The bottom line is the guy wants to submit his cards with his money, it's his business. If you disagree then that fine but either give him constructive advice as to why you disagree or keep your trap shut.

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >

This discussion has been closed.