Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Picked up a raw 75 Topps baseball set...UPDATE 07/23

***UPDATE 07/23**** Well, my second group of cards popped today (cards selected from #1-289) and I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed as I had my hopes up after the last sub. While I felt like I had a few winners with the Brett, Bench, and Soderholm. I really liked my Staub and Pina cards and they came back as 7s. It did seem that they graded this sub a bit tougher than my last one. However, overall with 1 10 and 14 9's (with one star-bench) out of a total of 60 cards sent in, I felt pretty good overall about the results. And, I've had a lot of fun doing it. I look forward to getting them back early next week. I'll try to update the thread with a few pictures of the key ones. I've learned just how tough PSA can be on this particular issue, but yet, what a great issue that it is. image

NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps 1 '74 Highlights Hank Aaron Card
NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps 5 '74 Highlights Nolan Ryan Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 PD 1975 Topps 7 '74 Highlights Steve Busby/Dick Bosman/Nolan Ryan Card
NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps 16 Frank Tanana Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 35 Ron Santo Card
NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps 48 Freddie Patek Card
MINT 9 1975 Topps 54 Eric Soderholm Card
NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps 61 Dave Winfield Card
NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1975 Topps 63 Steve Swisher Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 71 Charlie Hough Card
NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps 90 Rusty Staub Card
NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps 106 Mike Hargrove Card
NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps 133 Dan Driessen Card
NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps 139 Horacio Pina Card
MINT 9 1975 Topps 141 Mickey Stanley Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 147 Pedro Garcia Card
NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps 194 1956-MVP's Mickey Mantle/Don Newcombe Card
NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps 195 1957-MVP's Mickey Mantle/Hank Aaron Card
MINT 9 1975 Topps 205 1967-MVP's Carl Yastrzemski/Orlando Cepeda Card
MINT 9 1975 Topps 210 1972-MVP's Rich Allen/Johnny Bench Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 228 George Brett Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 249 Danny Thompson Card
NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps 253 Jesus Alou Card
MINT 9 1975 Topps 260 Johnny Bench Card
NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps 263 Jim Perry Card
NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps 267 Dick Ruthven Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 280 Carl Yastrzemski Card

Total Items: 33
Date Received: 6/23/2015
Date Shipped: N/A
Order Status: OK

***UPDATE 07/13***** I got my first big sub back from the set. It was from cards #290-660, which encompassed a total of 29 cards. Pretty happy with the poppage. Got my first self submitted PSA 10, and it was a POP1, so that made this sub worth it for me. Out of 29 cards submitted, I got 9 PSA9's and 1 PSA10, and I will take that percentage on my other sub which has 27 cards. I appreciate all the input from a lot of the guys here that helped me narrow down these cards to what I ended up sending in. Thanks for letting me share!

4 1 NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps 290 Jon Matlack Card
5 1 MINT 9 1975 Topps 299 Bucky Dent Card
6 1 MINT 9 1975 Topps 308 R.B.I. Leaders Jeff Burroughs/Johnny Bench Card
7 1 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 312 Strikeout Leaders Nolan Ryan/Steve Carlton Card
8 1 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 320 Pete Rose Card
9 1 MINT 9 1975 Topps 330 Mike Marshall Card
10 1 MINT 9 1975 Topps 346 Bobby Darwin Card
11 1 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 408 Clyde Wright Card
12 1 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 411 George Mitterwald Card
13 1 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1975 Topps 421 Mets Team Yogi Berra, Mgr. Card
14 1 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 433 Larry Demery Card
15 1 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 461 World Series Game 1 Card
16 1 NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps 470 Jeff Burroughs Card
17 1 MINT 9 1975 Topps 472 Bruce Dal Canton Card
18 1 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 483 Steve Ontiveros Card
19 1 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1975 Topps 490 Reggie Smith Card
20 1 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 491 Doyle Alexander Card
21 1 NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps 500 Nolan Ryan Card
22 1 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 528 Eddie Leon Card
23 1 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 554 Rich Gossage Card
24 1 MINT 9 1975 Topps 567 Jim Sundberg Card
25 1 MINT 9 1975 Topps 589 Braves Team Clyde King, Mgr. Card
26 1 MINT 9 1975 Topps 598 Bruce Kison Card
27 1 MINT 9 1975 Topps 599 Nate Colbert Card
28 1 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 611 Yankees Team Bill Virdon, Mgr. Card
29 1 N8: MISCUT 1975 Topps 616 Rookie Outfielders Card
30 1 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 620 Rookie Catchers-Outfielders Card
31 1 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 623 Rookie Infielders Card
32 1 GEM MINT 10 1975 Topps 641 Jim Northrup Card
Total Items: 32
Date Received: 6/23/2015
Date Shipped: N/A
Order Status: OK

***UPDATE 07/01***** Well, I sent in a few cards from the set as part of my membership renewal, along with a few other cards my Dad and I were holding back. While I was prepared to be humbled, it was still a bit disappointing as I was hoping for an 8 on the Yount, and I must have totally missed something on the 74 AL Championship card as I thought it was at least an 8 with a chance at a 9. The Schmidt was what I was expected, and the Aaron must have had too much of a diamond cut. I was happy with the Marino rookie however, as it was pack pulled by me so it was nice to see a 9 on that. I currently have 59 cards on a 50 day special. Maybe I will have better luck on those.

NEAR MINT 7 1961 Topps 578 Mickey Mantle All Star Card
NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps 223 Robin Yount Card
N8: MISCUT 1975 Topps 660 Hank Aaron Card
MINT 9 1984 Topps 123 Dan Marino Card
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1975 Topps 70 Mike Schmidt Card
NEAR MINT 7 1975 Topps 459 A.L. Championships Card

This board is a wealth of knowledge and with the experience of some members here, I thought I would throw a few cards out to see what everyone thinks they may grade.

I purchased a really nice raw 1975 topps set at a card show this past weekend. It was in a binder and so far my dad and I have put 400 of the 660 cards in cardsavers.

I have went through 101-253. Here are some of the better cards. Would any of these be sub worthy?

Any help or guidance you could provide me would be greatly appreciated.

And here are the scans!

[image

Thanks!
Jeremy

Comments

• Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Jeremy,

You may want to show some larger scans. Will probably be easier to tell overall condition

Tom
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Looks like some solid 8's to me, with perhaps an 8.5 or 9 sprinkled in
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Newer scans added
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Staub looks strong and is a tough one and yours is centered exceptionally well. I worry that the Schmidt is miscut. The right edge looks like it flairs out toward the bottom. Align it with a card you know is cut properly and see if it matches up.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    If the rest of the set looks like that I am thinking you did really well. I see some 8's for sure.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will say that I have been getting crushed on nice, fresh 75's this year. I think these are in the general range of yours (which are nice!), but I am not so sure that what used to be an 8 is still an 8, when it comes to 75's.

Any hint of white on the corner tips seems to be an automatic 7 (or worse) this year (these are all from poppages this year)... don't want to discourage you, but I usually crack and resub pretty quickly/easily - but I am seeing a trend at play.

edit - my scans are a little bigger, so you'll have to see if your white corner tips would match up if the scans were similarly sized.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Mike,

I knew that they are awfully tough on 75's. Some of those are very nice. I think I'm going to have to really pay a lot more attention to these cards, and go through them 2, 3, 4, or 5 times. Thanks for the pics of your cards, as that will give me a good idea of what to keep for grading and for what to stay raw.

Thanks!
    Jeremy
  • Options
    I am hoping somebody will chime in with a differing opinion, Jeremy. You have some nice hits there for sure.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>I am hoping somebody will chime in with a differing opinion, Jeremy. You have some nice hits there for sure. >>

Thanks Mike! My first run through of 400 cards had me pulling 89 cards for a second look. Also, my dad is doing the same and we will compare notes image I'll update the thread sometime tomorrow with some of the others, and I'd appreciate your opinion on them if you have a chance.

Jeremy
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice cards Jeremy. You should do well with most of those. Sharp!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will say that I have been getting crushed on nice, fresh 75's this year.

Ditto for me, too~I have found that PSA is tougher on these than minis. I cracked open a rack and submitted about 20 dead centered mint 75s, expecting 9s and a couple of 10s. Instead I got 8s and a couple of 9s.

Good luck, Jeremy!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I will say that I have been getting crushed on nice, fresh 75's this year.

Ditto for me, too~I have found that PSA is tougher on these than minis. I cracked open a rack and submitted about 20 dead centered mint 75s, expecting 9s and a couple of 10s. Instead I got 8s and a couple of 9s.

Good luck, Jeremy! >>

Thanks! I now have my expectations pretty low image I'll post a few more tomorrow that I thought were gradable as I have now looked through the first 400.

Jeremy
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I agree that the staub is exceptional and has the best shot at 9, maybe the Soderholm as well.
    The others look like 7-8.
    A very nice raw set, looks like you did well if you paid under 500.
    As far as fisheyes, most will cap a card at 8. But some graders will give 9s to cards with a fisheye or two if they are small and inconspicuous (ie not on the player's face).
    I'd say the same thing about diamond cuts - most will keep a card at 8 or lower but again it depends on the severity of the cut and how well the card is centered otherwise.
    Since the Schmidt has both fisheyes and a slight diamond cut, it probably won't get a 9. More like a 7, maybe an 8 from a generous grader.
    As to whether or not cheaper commons are worth sending in, it depends on what you want to do with them. If you plan to keep them, then sure they are. If you plan to sell, then you have to decide if a $6 profit is worth the risk of the card getting an 8. If you send in enough really nice cards, you may get a 10 on one or two of them, which might balance out the risk.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    And Mike, you were killed on that Brett. I've seen 8s not as nice as your 6!
  • Options

<< <i>I agree that the staub is exceptional and has the best shot at 9, maybe the Soderholm as well.
    The others look like 7-8.
    A very nice raw set, looks like you did well if you paid under 500.
    As far as fisheyes, most will cap a card at 8. But some graders will give 9s to cards with a fisheye or two if they are small and inconspicuous (ie not on the player's face).
    I'd say the same thing about diamond cuts - most will keep a card at 8 or lower but again it depends on the severity of the cut and how well the card is centered otherwise.
    Since the Schmidt has both fisheyes and a slight diamond cut, it probably won't get a 9. More like a 7, maybe an 8 from a generous grader.
    As to whether or not cheaper commons are worth sending in, it depends on what you want to do with them. If you plan to keep them, then sure they are. If you plan to sell, then you have to decide if a $6 profit is worth the risk of the card getting an 8. If you send in enough really nice cards, you may get a 10 on one or two of them, which might balance out the risk. >>

Excellent feedback. Thanks very much! Its so easy sometimes to "want" cards to be a certain grade when they are yours. Its nice getting an unbiased opinion.
    Jeremy
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My recommendation is to submit them in small groups. I've found it all depends on the grader lately. I've done exceptionally well on one sub while getting hammered on others that were dropped with PSA at the same time. With '75s and particularly the commons, there's not enough margin to warrant submitting them multiple times to get them in the right holder.
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My recommendation is to submit them in small groups. I've found it all depends on the grader lately. I've done exceptionally well on one sub while getting hammered on others that were dropped with PSA at the same time. With '75s and particularly the commons, there's not enough margin to warrant submitting them multiple times to get them in the right holder. >>

+1
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    Most look like 8s to me - if there are touches on the corners there is absolutely no shot at 9s

Keep in mind, 8 commons sell for less than $10, stars will do better in 8s but even on many of those you're only looking at $25 or less

If you want to submit to help learn whether your "eye" for grades is accurate, that could be worthwhile. If you want to submit to try and make the cards more valuable, I'd say pass on this group and try again another time.
  • Options
    I wouldn't sub the Fergie (tilt), Lis (multiple fisheyes) or Winfield (OC L/R). At best you will probably get a 7 which is a losing proposition. The Schmidt has a slight tilt but still looks like a nice 7 which would be worth the grading fees.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    I will send you the 11 bucks to grade the winfield and the schmidt if you aren't planning to. the centering is good enough for 8's on both those cards so unless there is something that isn't seen in the scans they should be graded. nice set
  • Options
    Updated thread with cards 101-156. Appreciate thoughts or comments on these.

Thanks!
    Jeremy
  • Options
    Those green/yellows look great. Red/yellows pretty good too.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Those look very sharp, Jeremy~the Brett and Yount look like solid 8s to me. I think you have a few 9s in there, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Those look very sharp, Jeremy~the Brett and Yount look like solid 8s to me. I think you have a few 9s in there, too. >>

Thanks, Tim. That was what I was thinking on the Yount and Brett. The Yount has a bit of a rough cut. Do you know if PSA penalizes for a rough cut? Its noticable on the l/r.

Jeremy
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Those look very sharp, Jeremy~the Brett and Yount look like solid 8s to me. I think you have a few 9s in there, too. >>

Thanks, Tim. That was what I was thinking on the Yount and Brett. The Yount has a bit of a rough cut. Do you know if PSA penalizes for a rough cut? Its noticable on the l/r.

Jeremy >>

In my experience, they do not penalize for the rough cut as long as no chipping is involved.

• Options
    Updated with a few grades posted yesterday....Did have a few drinks last night to come to terms with things image LOL
    Jeremy
  • Options
    Bump for poppage, round #2
  • Options
    Congrats, Jeremy, on a stellar sub!!!

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Bam! Nice sub Jeremy. You've got to be stoked with all those 9's and the 10.
    Steve
  • Options
    Some nice ones in there - WTG image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    As Emeril would say, BAM!!!!

Congrats Jeremy.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will say that I have been getting crushed on nice, fresh 75's this year. I think these are in the general range of yours (which are nice!), but I am not so sure that what used to be an 8 is still an 8, when it comes to 75's.

Any hint of white on the corner tips seems to be an automatic 7 (or worse) this year (these are all from poppages this year)... don't want to discourage you, but I usually crack and resub pretty quickly/easily - but I am seeing a trend at play.

>>

Just noticed this comment from a couple of months ago. I have had similar experiences with subbing 1971s lately. I've submitted at least 6 cards that were cracked out PSA 8s and all got 6s and 7s. I have so many 7s now that I believed would be certain 8s. In fact, I don't see any obvious differences between the 8s I did get and the 7s.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the great comments. Only checking 500 times a day on my last sub to see if it popped image

• Options
    Bumpage for poppage round #2
  • Options
    Nice work image

Fine Brett and congrats on Bench.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>Nice work image

Fine Brett and congrats on Bench. >>

Thanks, Mike! I appreciate your cards that you posted in the thread. It helped me stay realistic image You have the nicest brett 6 I've ever seen!!

Jeremy