Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help Identifying These Ancients

Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
These are coins I am looking to sell here on the forum. I've asked before and everyone seemed OK with this. If anyone doesn't like me asking for information just to sell these please PM me and Ill remove. I have atleast 150 more pieces to go through and I like doing it slow but I get stumped easily as this is not my area of expertise.

This First one to me looks like an Alexander piece 6.3grams 15mm

13.6grams 28mm Byzantine, I can make out TiberPAVI

9.1grams 28mm, Maximinus, about as far as I can get.

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Byzantine appears to be D N Mauric Tiber P AVG (not too sure about the final G). Maurice Tiberius.
    This follis (40 Numma) was struck in Constantinople, in the fifth year of his reign. Roughly speaking, 587 - 588.
    Writing off the top of my head, so someone else may be a bit more accurate.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Hi Jinx,

The Maximinus is Maximizes II Daia. August 308 - 313AD. This is an AE Follis. Laureate head right. GAL VAL MAXIMINVS NOB CAES on Obverse. GENIO POPVLI ROMANI on Reverse. Genius standing left, pouring out patera and holding cornucopia. HT and S shaped character in exergue.

Issued May 305 to 307. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Also the first piece does look like an Alexander III piece with bow and club on the reverse. Pretty common if you search eBay or Vcoins you should find a bunch of them.