Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty

I was watching the MLB network and the author of this book was discussing it. He said that Ty Cobb was pretty much the opposite of what the historians have made him out to be. He says that many of the stories about him are false. He also says he gives proof in his book. Not sure what to think. He was the biggest star before Ruth and it's hard to believe many stories coming from that era.
Here's the video. Very interesting.
Cobb interviw

Comments

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Don't believe everything you read.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was watching the MLB network and the author of this book was discussing it. He said that Ty Cobb was pretty much the opposite of what the historians have made him out to be. He says that many of the stories about him are false. He also says he gives proof in his book. Not sure what to think. He was the biggest star before Ruth and it's hard to believe many stories coming from that era.
    Here's the video. Very interesting.
    Cobb interviw >>

The author of another book on Cobb just released, Tim Hornbaker ("War on the Basepaths") found a lot of support for many of the stories about Cobb. For example, Leerhsen claims that Cobb wasn't a racist. That simply isn't true. There were plenty of stories about him during his playing days. Not EVERY negative story about Cobb originated with that fraud Al Stump. Hornbaker's book is outstanding and comes heavily documented with footnotes and source citations, something Leerhsen's book does not.

I am sure Leerhsen's book is very good and he presents a wealth of good information (I have not yet read it) but I do question his credibility just a little bit. During his interview with Keith Olbermann, he told a story about Cobb getting "an inside-the-park home run" on a ball hit back to (and fielded by) the pitcher. As anybody with any knowledge of baseball rules at all knows, that simply is not possible.

For those who care, here's my Amazon review of Hornbaker's book.
  • Options
    I hope he mentioned the money Cobb sent to former players and their families without taking any credit for it.
    Also the things the players union got in the 60's and 70's were things Cobb had lobied for back in his day.
    Al Stump was a biased idiot hack who set out to ruin his reputation, and Tim Burns History of Baseball is rubbish because it was so one sided about Cobb and Rube Waddell. I have learned in my lifetime that people can be very small minded.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope he mentioned the money Cobb sent to former players and their families without taking any credit for it.
    Also the things the players union got in the 60's and 70's were things Cobb had lobied for back in his day.
    Al Stump was a biased idiot hack who set out to ruin his reputation, and Tim Burns History of Baseball is rubbish because it was so one sided about Cobb and Rube Waddell. I have learned in my lifetime that people can be very small minded. >>

Hornbaker does a terrific job of showing both sides and trying to explain some of the reasons behind Cobb being...difficult. I don't remember him mentioning any players union lobbying but he did mention the money to former players.
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting, thanks for posting.

Makes me want to invest...and become a hof baseball player lol.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cobb has some gorgeous cards-- and stats!

Instagram: mattyc_collection