Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

An idea with questions regarding grading & qualifiers?

With the recent grading threads they have reminded me of a project or theory I have had.

This could pertain to many cards but let's use the 1960 McCovey rookie for an example. As many of you know, this card is very prone to printing defects, as the green background often has yellow or blue dots or fish eyes. So lets say a PSA 9 PD becomes available with perfect centering. I have seen this card receive the PD qualifier & you can hardly see the print dots. In this case, couldn't a person purchase this card for between $250 - $400, resubmit to PSA for a regrade requesting no qualifier. It should come back as a PSA 8, which would mean you would be into this $800+ card for $250 - $400 plus grading fee. Even if it came back as a 7 or 7.5, you would still be OK. Now I have seen this card, PSA 9 PD, sell for $250 on a Make Offer sale, so I know it is possible to get one at this price, all though you would have to be patient to find it, but does this theory make any sense at all?

Comments

• Options
    ashabbyashabby Posts: 471
    Sounds like a neat plan if you have the time
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe according to registry guidelines a qualifier is considered a 2 grade hit. So a 9PD becomes the registry equivalent of a 7NQ. So I believe a 9PD would be hard pressed to get an 8 with a review (unless you are able to secure a very strong 9PD card. If it gets a 7 you are probably breaking even or slightly losing money on the review. You would have to hit a 7.5 or an 8. I am interested to hear others thoughts on this. Another example of a card this would work for in theory is the Bird Magic RC which frequently gets 9PD qualifiers.
    Steve
  • Options
    CocoaBeachDodgersCocoaBeachDodgers Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe according to registry guidelines a qualifier is considered a 2 grade hit. So a 9PD becomes the registry equivalent of a 7NQ. So I believe a 9PD would be hard pressed to get an 8 with a review (unless you are able to secure a very strong 9PD card. If it gets a 7 you are probably breaking even or slightly losing money on the review. You would have to hit a 7.5 or an 8. I am interested to hear others thoughts on this. Another example of a card this would work for in theory is the Bird Magic RC which frequently gets 9PD qualifiers. >>

Yes, I agree with you 100%, it would take a high end 9 PD for this to work. Back a ways I remember seeing a 9 PD and I could hardly see the print dots. I had seen much worse print dots on many PSA 8's before. That was kind of what gave me the idea. I truly believe if regraded without a qualifier, it would be a strong 8 because it was perfectly centered & had an exceptional surface. Also remember, when a card grades a 9, they are much more strict with the qualifier guidelines than they would as an 8.

As far as deducting 2 points for a qualifier, I believe that is for registry purposes in order to give them a value, doesn't really have anything to do with grading guidelines. But I still think you are right that if the card is not a high end 9PD, it could receive a grade of 7 and possible even worse.